146 replies to this topic

#1 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

Well everyone. In 3 days time us footie fans will be glued to the screens for 28 days or so. I guess most of us will be supporting England (Except for the usual suspects of course).

Who is going to win? Can England do it without the "Roon"? Is he fit already and we're kidding on he's still injured? Who are your favourites and why?

I've drawn Holland in the works sweepstake so I might get a good run for my money as long as they don't meet the Germans. Who did you get?

As my mates pointed out...even my name has 1966 in it!!! ;)

This is the OFFICIAL World Cup thread. Please post your thoughts here whatever team you are supporting. Enjoy the tournie.

Good luck England!!!! :)
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#2 Dr DX

Dr DX

Daddy To A Little Angel

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

well i wud be going for Northern Ireland if they hadve qualified and if they had a hope in hell in winning but we all know theyre crap, so lets hope england wins it
Women are #@#@#@#s....

#3 Toddyuk

Toddyuk

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1279 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

If it's any consolation Sarge I thought you guys played a blinder when you beat us in the qualifier. :)

You sure that flags big enough Toddy?...pmsl
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#5 mrmystery83

mrmystery83

Ho, Ho, Ho Merry Xmas!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:56 PM

I got Mexico in our office sweep stake. For £2 a go. Could've been worse i suppose. I could've been the bloke organising it who 'selected' Brazil!! We're told it was a genuine draw and not a fiddle. There's also a Golden Boot sweep going round quite a few players left. That's only a £1 so think i'll plump for Crespo. The decent brazilian and England players have gone. We're also doing a Golden Minute we've all been given a minute each 1-90 and injury time and someone got else got picked in the event of a 0-0, if England score in your minute you get a raffle ticket and a prize. Not a bad little way of making things more interesting.

I reckon the Germans will do well on their home turf, but i still think there's a few in the running and it's far from another win for the Brasilians. Although i hate to say it realistically i don't really think our lads will come home with the cup. Despite all the hype. They should comfortably get past the group stages and maybe the quarters but then i think they'll struggle. I hope i'm proved wrong though but i can't see it with or without Rooney. Even in the friendlys this year they have took a while to get going and IMO looked like they were lacking something. It's a whole different ball game than what it was 40 years ago.
Ey Up!

More vids to be added soon:
www.youtube.com/mrmystery83

"I don't care if the fans rip the shirt from my back. They put it there"

-Elvis

#6 Toddyuk

Toddyuk

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1279 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:00 PM

Yer its a big un lol , Cant wait for it to start like its been toooo long without footy on the box .

I actually think we have a good shout this time around , saying that like i say that every four years .I think 1966 was the only year i didnt say it lol wasnt born like

I have France in the sweep at work.

Just split with wor lass couple of weeks back so ill be able to watch every match going well the repeats later if am at work.

Counting down the days Come On England !!
Posted Image

#7 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

I'm gonna try and smuggle a mini-tv into work if one of England's matches falls during a working day...lol

#8 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:32 AM

Were streaming it at work to all the screens. thank god for 1gb ethernet

#9 jay2

jay2

Boing Boing

• Regulars
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

Well it look,s like Roony will play some part.
Can only be a good thing,but imo i think we will do well with or without him.
I feel so confident this time round,but i say that for every world cup :).
What shall i put here?

#10 jay2

jay2

Boing Boing

• Regulars
  • 706 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

For all you nostalgics,some real classic world cup games can be seen here...
http://news.bbc.co.u...ive/default.stm

My fave at the moment is Engalnd v Camaroon from 1990.
Almost makes the tv license worth the money.
What shall i put here?

#11 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Nice to watch some good memories again. Time to bring the trophy home now. Rooney seems to be fit (What great kidology from us this time). All starts tomorrow and I will be in with a whole load of cider to see it kick off.

#12 eyleyro

eyleyro

fur face

• New Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:27 PM

Drew paraguay in the office sweepstake (nuts). Then again, how many people said that when they drew Greece in Euro'04? Colleague sent me bookies odds today, and I don't think I'll plan how I'll spend the winnings just yet...

Brazil 5/2
England 7/1
Germany 7/1
Argentina 8/1
Italy 8/1
France 12/1
Holland 14/1
Spain 14/1
Portugal 22/1
Czech Republic 33/1
Mexico 40/1
Sweden 40/1
Croatia 66/1
Ukraine 66/1
Ivory Coast 80/1
USA 100/1
Australia 125/1
Poland 125/1
Serbia & Montenegro 125/1
Switzerland 125/1
Paraguay 200/1 (sob)
Ghana 250/1
South Korea 250/1
Japan 300/1
Ecuador 400/1
Tunisia 400/1
Angola 750/1
Costa Rica 750/1
Iran 750/1
Togo 750/1
Saudi Arabia 1000/1
Trinidad & Tobago 2000/1

#13 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

could be worse, you draw trinidad and toboggan @ 2000/1

apparently sven has had a word with the FIFA officials - and they will let him play with his crotches.

#14 mrmystery83

mrmystery83

Ho, Ho, Ho Merry Xmas!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:10 PM

Oh dear my Mexico isn't looking too hopeful either then. Oh well it's only a game. Yeah right lol me dad's mate got 16/1 for Spain so unless the odds differ slightly in certain bookies the odds for them have come down a bit.
Ey Up!

-Elvis

#15 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:32 PM

So we're off. Germany won 4-2 but their defence looked shit. Poland lost 2-0 to Ecuador for goodnes sake. Great opening day. Roll on tomorrow. Better not take the Paraguayans lightly as they are similar to Ecuador.

#16 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

i've got mexico as well!!!!!

just watched the news and some england fans have caused trouble already.

i hate it when that happens.

baz

#17 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:42 PM

They are not fans bazpeeb...They are just scum. They must save up their dole money all year so they can cause trouble abroad rather than on the streets. Hope the Germans put 'em in a concentration camp!!! :)

#18 prizeguy2005

prizeguy2005

• Regulars
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

At the world cup sweep at my gym I have drew Iran 750-1 cant even name ond player for them. Funny enough regarding Greece Euro 2004 I put a £1 on them to win (while I was at uni at the time I was dating a greek lady, fellow student (didnt know much about the football team) I think they were 60-1 to one. Wish I put more on! I remember my mates laughted at me as I put the bet on lol they have never lived it down even my good mate at the gym asks me for a wild card prediction on every football competition now.

However my prediction for this World cup is Brazil. Would love of course to see England win but we seem to bottle it at the knockout stages, hope I am wrong though

#19 mrmystery83

mrmystery83

Ho, Ho, Ho Merry Xmas!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

My bro is in Germany at the moment. He doesn't have a tcket for the game but he's gone for the atmosphere to watch it on the big screens they have set up. He paid £250 for the flight. The same flight has now gone up to £750. Ridiculous price. You could go to Las Vegas for that!! But he's having a great time. Had a game of football with some German, Polish, and Paraguay fans. He hasn't mentioned any trouble happening near where he is.

Apparently the hotel is filthy but he's roughing it for a few nights. It's not far from where the England team is staying. He saw Sven and took some pics. He also got some pics of the England team on their coach. Can't wait to see how they turn out. I'm in the process of making my own website if i manage to get it up and running and i get some copies of the pics i'll put them on there for view/download.
Ey Up!

-Elvis

#20 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

Well here we go!!!! 40 years of hurt.

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users