Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Project Amber 2 has been released, sort of...

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#61 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

...without progression things stay the same.  Good job we don't all think like that we wouldn't be here right now using this very forum.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#62 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

A dx11 compatible gfx card is 20 quid. Hardly a top spec requirement. Just because the bloke in pc world said it would do everything you wanted, is not my fault.

Like I said I'm not having a go at anyone, I was polite in my post so there is no need for the sharp reply.

Oh and just for the record, the new PC wasn't from PC World, the local PC shop built it for my requirements.  It may very well run Amber2 for all I know, but like I said, I have no interest in all the extra bells and whistles and am happy playing games in the current emus, so I'm not going to bother with Amber2 atm. who knows, my feelings may change in the future but atm I'm fine as I am, plus I don't play ANY emulator very much nowadays which is another reason I'm not bothered about having it.

I have nothing but respect for what you have achieved, but that doesn't mean I have to want it.

#63 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:40 AM

...without progression things stay the same.  Good job we don't all think like that we wouldn't be here right now using this very forum.

J

Yes I know this and agree totally.  It doesn't mean though, that just because someone releases something new that everyone has to want it.

For instance take Windows, different people prefer different versions of it, some prefer Apple instead.  It's their own individual choice and that's all I'm saying about Amber2.

I've already said I admire what has been achieved, it's just that atm I have no interest in having it, there is nothing wrong with me not wanting it so why should the first 2 posts replying to my post, be 'having a go' posts?

This is a forum, so why shouldn't people have differing views on things?

I notice nobody has posted anything similar towards spa's comment.....'But in fairness we are emulating fruit machines so a high spec pc shouldn't really be needed.' is this because he hasn't said he doesn't want Amber2, or just because he's a Mod?

#64 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

..sigh...   and my comment isn't aimed at you specifically, I have read the ones by Spa and Vecs also and I don't agree with any of them personally.  From a design perspective it should be easier to create layouts in amber as opposed to mfme, which in turn is a good thing for fme as it means literally anyone should be able to build something with an intermediate skill level in photoshop etc.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#65 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:21 AM

I did sort of lol.
I was pleasantly surprised I got project amber running first time! Where as amber2 unfortunately not, I suppose we can't have it all, it would be like playing the latest computer games in a 8- bit console.
Guitar you mentioned the graphics card costs around £20 how do I change mine and how do I know it'll work! Or could I overwrite the existing one in lappy
I'm also thick when it comes to computers and technology lol.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#66 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:13 PM

Have you tried running the DirectX End-user web installer?  Scroll down slightly on the link below and click the orange download box -

https://www.microsof...6656931a02=True

I've tried to get Amber2 running on my 4 year-old x32 W7 laptop and my newish cheap £250 x64 W10 laptop, but with no joy.  Without looking to see what version of DirectX I have or whether my specs are good enough, I just downloaded the installer and ran them on both machines.

Amber2 now runs on my x64 W10 laptop, but I get 'could not initialise DirectX 11' on my x32 W7 laptop.

But at least I've got it working on one device :)

Edited by stevedude2, 08 July 2016 - 12:14 PM.

Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#67 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

its been great playing the simpsons, but can help think its a right bastard ROM ??

any cheats for it?

#68 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

Hi Nails, please remind me how to load up the simpsons layout into Amber 2? I just took pot luck yesterday and my win 10 PC is not meety enough for gaming! I had fun with the bud wise err coors last night. Can't wait until Duff Beer Guide and Meltdown are released layouts. Got a bad throat atm, but feeling OK. Also, what are the keyboard shortcuts for this layout, I kind of guessed, start=space, holds nudges=1/2/3, cancel=` and just guessing the rest as I don't use the mouse.

#69 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:48 PM

its been great playing the simpsons, but can help think its a right bastard ROM ??

any cheats for it?

All of this type of Maygay game were dreadful from RAM clear.  You'll need to put a fair few games through first.  I don't think the RAM currently gets saved on exit either, which doesn't help.

Edited by stevedude2, 08 July 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#70 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

So how do you load the simpsons into amber 2 Stevedude2?

#71 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

Make sure the ROMs are directly inside the main ROMs folder, and the layout is in the main LAYOUTS folder, no more than one folder deep, then -

Open Amber2

Wait for the main menu screen to appear

Click the top option - Offline play

Wait for the game menu to appear

Click on 'The Simpsons'

Game will now be loading, please wait

Watch out for the alarm that plays when the game boots up - that's the RAM clearing

Few more seconds and then the attract mode starts and the game is ready to enjoy!

Press 0 to add credit, or click the coin entry on the layout

Bud...wei...ser!

Cooooooors!

Etc

:thumbs_up:

#72 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:15 PM

Thanks mate.

#73 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of MFME's auto throttle/speed option in Amber 2 yet, yes I know it's in its early stages but simpsons is running slow, might need speeding up a bit. Or do I need to delete old stuff from my lappy?

#74 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

Ging back to the speed issue, I just unloaded my accessibility software that reads out things on screen, loaded up Microsoft Narrator which is a crappy version and Amber 2 runs perfectamundo! (If that's a word.) I just need sighted assistance to click offline play and to select the simpsons layout by Guitar, then I'm up and going. Actually, the alarm's not too bad on my lappy, it's duff beer guide it hates, like an old fashioned air raid lol.

#75 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent of MFME's auto throttle/speed option in Amber 2 yet, yes I know it's in its early stages but simpsons is running slow, might need speeding up a bit. Or do I need to delete old stuff from my lappy?

Auto throttle is on always. If it's too slow then it's possible your pc is too slow (unlikely if its dx11 compatible). However the speed is capped via the screen refresh rate and is hard coded for now for 60Hz.

If you have a 50Hz monitor or something then it will run slow and for now theres not a lot you can do about it.

A 3rd possibility...I was playing Simpsons the other day and the game suddenly started running slow after about 20 minutes normal play. A reset of the emu fixed it, so I don't know if that's a bug which may be creeping in. That being said I can't replicate the issue yet so fixing it will be difficult.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#76 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 04:38 PM

Like I said I'm not having a go at anyone, I was polite in my post so there is no need for the sharp reply.

Oh and just for the record, the new PC wasn't from PC World, the local PC shop built it for my requirements.  It may very well run Amber2 for all I know, but like I said, I have no interest in all the extra bells and whistles and am happy playing games in the current emus, so I'm not going to bother with Amber2 atm. who knows, my feelings may change in the future but atm I'm fine as I am, plus I don't play ANY emulator very much nowadays which is another reason I'm not bothered about having it.

I have nothing but respect for what you have achieved, but that doesn't mean I have to want it.

My post wasn't aimed at you specifically. Just that some people are trying to say that Amber2 needs a shit hot gaming PC to run and that's just not true. For a start DirectX12 is out now, so its already 1 generation old. And it needs DirectX11 for the chip architecture, not for the speed that comes with it, a bottom of the range DX11 card is sufficient. £20 new or around a tenner on ebay if people are desperate.

And laptops have always struggled with stuff like this. The reason they can do a laptop for £249 at christmas is because they are shite laptops.

Always research your stuff if you are going to buy a PC or Laptop. Know what to look for or what to avoid. Its not necessarilly about spending more money, just spending it wisely in the right place.

If you want help or advice, ask. Though if you are a real fme noob, dont be surprised if I help you less than the regular active members.

I have helped a few members in FME with their purchases and have helped many people save money or actually get the product they need. Most recently I helped pook with his PC purchase, don't take my word for it, ask him if he is satisfied with my advice. (apologies to Pook if his inbox is now full).

#77 I have finished

I have finished

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Hi guitar, I have played over an hour or 2, not slowing down at all! Perfect! What is the JP stake on these ROMs? I'm constantly getting it, never got repeat chance though, always get a "no" option and lose. The only machine I've seen has a £5, my mother says it was a tenner though.

#78 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

I did sort of lol.
I was pleasantly surprised I got project amber running first time! Where as amber2 unfortunately not, I suppose we can't have it all, it would be like playing the latest computer games in a 8- bit console.
Guitar you mentioned the graphics card costs around £20 how do I change mine and how do I know it'll work! Or could I overwrite the existing one in lappy
I'm also thick when it comes to computers and technology lol.

You can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop

I'm well aware certain enthusiast gaming laptops are but those are as rare as finding gold in your shit.

#79 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:11 PM

That's me told lol. Thanks for the info Matty, off to find some gold leaf in my poo lol.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#80 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

That's me told lol. Thanks for the info Matty, off to find some gold leaf in my poo lol.

What model laptop do you have vectra?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users