Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

its not just the c word that needs dealt with i think bullying does aswell

#22 mocochoco

mocochoco

• Regulars
  • 1380 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Either allow, it. Or don't allow it.

Just because a particular word offends you, it may not offend others. In the same way that words that don't offend you, others may find very offensive.

I love all you guys but, this thread is kind of ridiculous lol. It should be made clear to the user on any forum from the get go what to expect. Having all these grey areas based on preference is confusing to everyone in my opinion.

Personally I really would not mind either way in a situation like this. I love a good swear but, it really doesn't change much either way. It's not like the real world where something can slip out by accident - here you can just go back and delete the word before you press "post".

"The cue tip is the most important thing, give me a broomstick with a good tip on it and il shoot the lights out, then sweep the joint when im done" (Willie Mosconi)

#23 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Any specific examples?

xeepi_logo_email.png

#24 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

i didn,t know their was so many rules and regs but i think before newbies can be allowed to join they should have a terms and conditions page before joining which they have to accept maybe it already is on here, as to the swearing thingy sometimes the topics posted to get very out of hand on here, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some people tend to be a little overboard with theirs as playstephen said some recently banned members actually bully or 'slag' off fellow members or their work to such a degree that it de-grades the site and normally queit people like me then start to protect the fellow members, i swear a little bit on here and more in the real world but as todd says some words are totally unacceptable
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#25 playstephen24

playstephen24

• New Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

duplu i put a post on here a few weeks back and basically got called crazy which offended me. i post topic's on here because the people on here r brillaint at things and get advice, but now after that i'm only gonna post certain things on here now after that

#26 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

duplu i put a post on here a few weeks back and basically got called crazy which offended me. i post topic's on here because the people on here r brillaint at things and get advice, but now after that i'm only gonna post certain things on here now after that

I remember reading your post and to be honest I thought they gave you some good advice, hardly 'bullying'.

xeepi_logo_email.png

#27 playstephen24

playstephen24

• New Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

some people did give some advice yes and others there was nasty comments

#28 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

Please allow me to go slightly Geddy on this post...

Feel free to go as Geddy as you like, if that's an attempt at humour, I don't think this reply warrants it, as this is a very serious matter.

Correct , thats the kinda gist of it...

What gives you the right to decide which words can and can't be used on here? If that was the rule it should apply to all Mods, not just to one, who happens to find a certain word offensive. If you go on that sort of thing, that just because a Mod doesn't like a word then they can remove it and warn the member, how are people supposed to know what they can or can't say?

Sorry , but get your facts right before posting , the post(s) were condemned by myself and both parties were spoken to via PM's.

Sorry but as far as I'm concerned I HAVE got my fact right, there wasn't much condemnation in the PM you sent me... Quote..... Yes , it was a bit out of order what they said...thats why i said 'can we cut it out now guys' , i know nails and cainer arent nasty vindictive people , and what they said was meant as a 'joke'

How the hell can saying that.... 'gay people adopting or having kids in general is wrong and disgusting, what might it do to them etc etc'.... possibly be considered in any way shape or form a joke?

All I get from reading what you put in the PM, is that you seemed to be trying to excuse what had been said. I've read it time and time again and I can still only come to the same conclusion.

This place isnt run like anything , as i explained in a PM to you there is no favouritism and 'special allowances' for anyone , not on my part anyway , and i know none of the other mods/admins are like that.

I consider making excuses for what was said 'making special allowances'

If i was running things as a 'bent mod' .. i wouldnt be a mod very long , the site Admin would have no qualms in telling me that and remove my position.

I've never said you were running things as a 'bent mod', but what I will say is, at times, you are definately misguided, to say the least.

#29 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

The post I'm on about is a prime example of not only homophobia, but also bullying

Either allow, it. Or don't allow it.

Just because a particular word offends you, it may not offend others. In the same way that words that don't offend you, others may find very offensive.

I love all you guys but, this thread is kind of ridiculous lol. It should be made clear to the user on any forum from the get go what to expect. Having all these grey areas based on preference is confusing to everyone in my opinion.

Personally I really would not mind either way in a situation like this. I love a good swear but, it really doesn't change much either way. It's not like the real world where something can slip out by accident - here you can just go back and delete the word before you press "post".

I totally agree, you can't possibly have different rules for different Mods, how would you know where you stood?

Any specific examples?

As I said above

i didn,t know their was so many rules and regs but i think before newbies can be allowed to join they should have a terms and conditions page before joining which they have to accept maybe it already is on here, as to the swearing thingy sometimes the topics posted to get very out of hand on here, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some people tend to be a little overboard with theirs as playstephen said some recently banned members actually bully or 'slag' off fellow members or their work to such a degree that it de-grades the site and normally queit people like me then start to protect the fellow members, i swear a little bit on here and more in the real world but as todd says some words are totally unacceptable

Some get banned for doing something far less than others, and some don't get banned at all. Also just because someone is a new member doesn't make them a bad person. There are well established members on here that have said things that totally unacceptible, but yet they are allowed to stay.

So whichever way you look at it there are double standards here and it sometimes comes across that if your face fits then you can do almost anything and still not get banned.

#30 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Ok , fair do's .. i get the message .

TBH i cant be arsed with this shit , ive got enough going on IRL to be bothered with this 'trying to do the right thing' crap and keep a happy medium.

Some of you will be happy to know i shall ask Duplu to de-mod me ASAP , and therefore you can complain to someone else about things cos it will be out my hands.

Regards.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#31 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

some people did give some advice yes and others there was nasty comments

What did you expect. You posted some pretty unbelievable stuff, with no proof. I have reviewed the entire thread and the good comments well out-number the bad. In fact the worse is from old mc-c himself and I am fairly sure he was joking. Seriously, if you thought that was bullying and you are some hairy arsed biker then you need to harden up a bit. I mean what did you expect. Did you hope we would all have a whip-round for your defence fund?

bj

#32 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

TBH i cant be arsed with this shit , ive got enough going on IRL to be bothered with this 'trying to do the right thing' crap and keep a happy medium.

Some of you will be happy to know i shall ask Duplu to de-mod me ASAP , and therefore you can complain to someone else about things cos it will be out my hands.

Regards.

Please don't. You have messages of support on here because people like you. I for one do not want to see you not being a mod. I am now regretting ever having reported that post by jonas

bj

#33 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Personal abuse and banter BJ are two separate things, as we know. You did right, and you know you did, when you reported that post.

I think perhaps we need to look at the position of obscenities being used in general terms. I can hear members saying that we should either ban all swearing, or allow it full blown. Either way, arguments will be aplenty.

I swear - I don’t deny it… but in context and never abusive with it, or to anyone. What good would the ‘Joke Thread’ be without the odd profanity in it - you hardly swap “f**k” with “golly, golly gumdrops” could you?! ;)

But if a swearing ban is needed, which I personally don’t think it is - then so be it. Providing the language is moderated, in banter, and certainly not in a slanging and abusive way.

Todd mate, you must go nowhere - you are a great mod here. You have a lot of support, you’re liked and you care about Fruit Emu and FME too. I, like chasnbons, was extremely angry over the thread he is referring too as well, but I thought it was handled correctly, and I informed chasnbons of this too - although again, race, religion, sexuality and swearing do bring out the passion in a lot of people, me included with this. You took a decision, and as a Mod you had the right too. :) Action was also followed through with that thread.

Swearing is a broader term - it can be used in fun, and in abuse - so where do we draw the line? Do we allow it at all, or totally block it?… it’s a tricky one!
  • ady likes this
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#34 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

I find this quite ironic that a topic 'The Use of Profanity in The Forum' should cause such bad feeling and bad language. It seems recently people have such short fuses on this forum plus the return of banned members causing 'illwill' that there is such bad feeling amongst the members. I know everyone has a different opinion on a subject, but with all this 'backbiting' going on and insults I know I would pull the plug on this site if it was mine, straight away. Yes I know it isn't!!!
Todd stand by your convictions!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 18 August 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#35 mocochoco

mocochoco

• Regulars
  • 1380 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Regards.

Mate, that seems a bit much doesn't it? Never going to have everyone completely agreeing with you 100%. That's just life within any community.

From what I see and hear you are a good Mod, and people appreciate what you do.
  • ady likes this

"The cue tip is the most important thing, give me a broomstick with a good tip on it and il shoot the lights out, then sweep the joint when im done" (Willie Mosconi)

#36 playstephen24

playstephen24

• New Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

barcrest junky im not a hairy arsed biker i drive a scooter big difference and how can i post the proof when the police have copywritten all the paper work so if i post it on here im breaking the law and 2 ur last comment no i dont expect any1 to pay my fine i only posted the thread on here wondering if any1 else has gone threw the same thing and if they did wot they did and happened or advice. theres a big difference between advice and nasty comments im going threw rubbish in my life like some off u and i dont need the comments off nasty people on a site i really like

#37 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

playstephen24............You selfish TWAT. You HI-JACK a topic with your own sad world. I just don't believe you. Todd a bloody good MOD has just said he's leaving and all you are worried about is your own stupid self.
As I said before GET OVER IT!!! Other people on this planet............This is not bullying just a reality check OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 playstephen24

playstephen24

• New Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

ok im the selfish twat when i only mention about the nasty comments which is a form of bullying and i only answered bck 2 barcrest junky and im in the wrong.

#39 playstephen24

playstephen24

• New Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

i think todds great his helpped me a while back on something in june but all i was pointing out that the swearing is getting out off control on here aswell as the nasty comments

#40 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

No don't go todd,you are one of the soundest mods,iv'e known through the tinterweb :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users