• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

In a response to a recent report i decided to make this post so everyone knows where i stand on it.

In quoting Rule 4 of the forum rules it goes as such : 4..There are no set rules against the use of swearing in the forums, but users should only really apply it where appropriate. Inserting swear words in every post doesn't make a user look "tough" or "clever". In fact to most people, it comes across as a literacy deficiency. Posters who frequently use excessive levels of profanity may be cautioned to tone it down.

Now i have nothing against swearing ( to a certain extent) infact i use it probably far too often IRL , but 1 word i cannot abide is the See You Next Tuesday word , it is a horrible disgusting word.

I am not here to be 'on peoples cases' all the time like the headmaster giving the naughty schoolboy into trouble , but if i see that word it will be removed and the user warned about it.

The other moderators may feel differently about it and let it go , it is just my personal point of view about THAT particular word.

Thank you.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#2 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:43 AM

Well said. You have my full support.

bj

#3 jim2311

jim2311

Genius

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

I don’t believe singling out the C word is the way ahead. There are many synonyms that can do the job just as well, and some of these are more offensive than the C word itself in certain locations.
Instead of the “Selective Censorship” of one word, set standards that posts must not cross.
In the recent “Child Murderer” thread, some extremely colourful language was used to convey members’ feelings on the subject, and I have no objection to that, but when threads descend into vile personal attacks between members then those posts should be removed.

I’m sure if I trolled through my past posts I may come across a few that would have me shaking my head, but nothing compared to what I’ve read in others posts.

It’s sad when it all kicks off over something minor, like someone criticising another for their spelling, grammar or punctuation.

Throwing insults at people does not add substance to your argument.

I’m not advocating censorship I’m proposing a little more civility.

Ofcourse it will never happen.

#4 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

I understand what your saying totally jim , with forums however your always going to have that..a debate that starts off nice then ends up with insults getting thrown all over the place , its been like that since the year dot.

Thats when its time for a mod or admin to step in and say enough is enough..we are going round in circles here and getting nowhere.

The use of bad language in these types of threads go with the territory , im sure im no angel and if i was to look back on my posts ive probably used a fair few swear words in my time , but at the time its mostly used in anger , im a nice person really lol.

The reason i was saying it was because i absolutley detest the C word , and if i was a 'normal member' id be complaining to the mods to have it removed , it could just as easily be the 'eff you see kay' word though.

#5 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

thats pilky Facked then lol nah on a serious note i have to agree with todd and jim2311 the odd f and b and w word is somewhat acceptable to some extent but when its every other word and the 'c' word then its not. maybe this site should use the same thing as on mr p's on there when you type in gambler it comes up with g*****r don,t know why its that word but couldn,t the same be done on here with certain swear words.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#6 Bandits

Bandits

• Regulars
  • 1124 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

Totally agree Todd, People will not always agree with each other that is to be expected but that does'nt mean others should use bad language just cuz they don't agree.

:) Hold Yer Plums Or Go For The Melons :)

#7 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

I to have to agree with you that the odd swear word is fine but not the C word, although I did use that word recently in the child murderer thread.
As a massive fan of Father Ted, I shall from now on use the feck word instead of f**k. So that is all I'm going to say on this fecking matter, and I hope that this fecking mess gets sorted soon or we're all fecked!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha.
"what would you say to a nice cup of tea father"
"feck off cup"
Classic.

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#8 mc_christopher

mc_christopher

• New Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

What if it's used in context eg joke thread

#9 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

You've got my support on this matter too Todd mate.

We all use the occasional swear word, but the use of the 'C' word, in the context to which I have seen it used is totally unacceptable.

My apologies BJ for it to have been used by a member in one of my threads. I wouldn't have approved the post, or edited it, had I have noticed it.

I will be watching the forums more myself in the future for use of words like this in an abusive way. :)
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#10 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

Mine too Todd...

#11 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Wholeheartedly agree Todd with your comments,a line has to be drawn somewhere.
With a recent topic which was starting to get into a personality slanging match, it was a matter of time before the **** word was going to appear.
We also have members on this site under 17 years of age, with that said they probably know more rude words than I do.!!!!!

#12 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Agree with ya todd,although i do swear in some posts! only when somebody pisses me off etc.

#13 corel

corel

• Regulars
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I agree with the C word i often find the how the way people use it can be very offensive.

As a website forum moderator myself on a snooker site, we dont just prohibit the use of one word, we keep our site clean and clear as crystal and this includes warning or removing members that even utter a single swear word and we dont just prohibit the 'heavy' words, we ban all the 'light' slang words and even our regular members get warned for this, and our rule is there is absolutley no excuse to use them on an open forum, even in general talk.

Ive seen how it works here, people see one word being used only then they think its okay because they can use it too!

And now its out of hand and i often see people using slang and heavy swearing in the shoutbox, this certainly would not pass if this was on our forums! I ban members on a regular basis for this, young children is our main priority and you may think fruit machines are only played by adults, do kids not play them too?

Believe me keeping a site free from dirty words really does work, your members will come to respect this over a period of time and shows the site is well looked after.

#14 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

Agree with ya todd,although i do swear in some posts! only when somebody pisses me off etc.

We all do mate, and Tommy i'm damn sure you and I have called each other things in the past?.....

You ain't and nor am I lets say a tosser, but as you/me are saying it's a way of expressing yourself at the time without going too far mate isn't it.

I'm only quoting you bud as we have got in pickles before..but we would never be offensive to each other...and to the whole we know thats what Todd's saying.

@ coral......

This IS a members site.....that's as Duplu set it up to be bud..

Yeah it's Moderated of course.......but it's a shame we can't use our 'extra buttons' in a more positive way appart from needing to kick idiots up the arse in order to keep it that way.

#15 skyblusam

skyblusam

• New Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

I know i dont post very often. But i agree with you on this.I will never use the c-word word anyway as its been beaten out of me.Every time i let it slip in front of the missis she would give me a right slap across the head :cry:

#16 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

I know i dont post very often. But i agree with you on this.I will never use the c-word word anyway as its been beaten out of me.Every time i let it slip in front of the missis she would give me a right slap across the head :cry:

Made me laugh that did. :biglaugh:

bj

#17 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

What if it's used in context eg joke thread

Should imagine you are safe there, like on the jokes thread we have.

As for myself, everyone knows just how x-rated I can be, but swearing used in the context toddy has pointed out, there is just no need for it.

Edited by stanmarsh14, 17 August 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#18 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

, but if i see that word it will be removed and the user warned about it.

The other moderators may feel differently about it and let it go , it is just my personal point of view about THAT particular word.

Sorry but I have to say this, I find it bang out of order that just because you don't like a certain word you are prepared to remove it and warn the offending person, yet back in June you were more than willing to let blatant homophobia go on here, and do sod all about it, this tells me everything I need to know about the way this place is run. Rules for some, different rules for others, or at least excuses made for them.

Talk about double standards!

I'm totally disgusted

#19 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

Please allow me to go slightly Geddy on this post...

just because you don't like a certain word you are prepared to remove it and warn the offending person

Correct , thats the kinda gist of it...

back in June you were more than willing to let blatant homophobia go on here, and do sod all about it,

Sorry , but get your facts right before posting , the post(s) were condemned by myself and both parties were spoken to via PM's.

this tells me everything I need to know about the way this place is run.

This place isnt run like anything , as i explained in a PM to you there is no favouritism and 'special allowances' for anyone , not on my part anyway , and i know none of the other mods/admins are like that.

If i was running things as a 'bent mod' .. i wouldnt be a mod very long , the site Admin would have no qualms in telling me that and remove my position.

#20 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

There should be a distinction between aimed swearing and not. Aimed swearing like "You effing c###" when in argument with another member should not be allowed, but saying "This machine was an effing c### in the wild" should be ok.

Repeated aimed swearing should result in a ban. Simple as.

I don't use the C word too often, and it's no problem for me to never use it here if it offends some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users