Engineer

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 davemint

davemint

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:54 PM

Hello been reading this forum tonight , and I am a long standing service engineer for a reputable company. I am pleased to offer any technical advice any of you may need for the machines you own within reason. I dont want questions like how do I rip off a Note Acceptor or questions of that nature but more of faults you have. Also In order to gain a operators license (I have one) You need a big whad of cash , loads of knowledge on the industy and a fair chunk of experiance in regards to repairs , maintanance pat testing e.t.c. You have to go in front of the gaming board , and u also have to take a exam in order to gain this license and belive me its loads of head work. I may also suggest you contact BACTA to gain membership to them as gaming board look very favorable on it.
Its not a easy thing to get into. Anyways if I can help at all then drop me a private message or a thread and i be in contact.
Have a good un
David

#2 Guest_madman_*

Guest_madman_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:59 PM

:D welcome m8 and thanx for the offer of help ect.......
bout ripping off note acceptors.ahem.erm.only joking. :)

#3 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:37 AM

Hello davemint.

First techy question here.

I have a Projects 'Jackpot 7's' machine. It's in full working order complete with tokens ect...

What I'd like to know, and would be much appreciated if you could tell me, how would I adjust the payout percentage on it? Is it something I can do by adjusting dipswitches or is it via some sort of key that I'd need to get hold of.

I remember seeing a small bank of DIP's and I'm pretty sure these sort out the percentages but haven't tried as theres no indication or sticker to say what percentage the machine is already set at or what it can be set to.

Hope you can help.

Cheers

Compost
Posted Image

#4 davemint

davemint

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

project coin MPU are a nightmare to work on , but it should display the % on boot up on the display (i think its 7 seg) with those i am pretty sure its held in the program on older machines as they came delivered pre programed. However if you give me MPU version I can certainly look into it for you and tell ya how to do it

#5 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:43 PM

Hello been reading this forum tonight , and I am a long standing service engineer for a reputable company. I am pleased to offer any technical advice any of you may need for the machines you own within reason. I dont want questions like how do I rip off a Note Acceptor or questions of that nature but more of faults you have. Also In order to gain a operators license (I have one) You need a big whad of cash , loads of knowledge on the industy and a fair chunk of experiance in regards to repairs , maintanance pat testing e.t.c. You have to go in front of the gaming board , and u also have to take a exam in order to gain this license and belive me its loads of head work. I may also suggest you contact BACTA to gain membership to them as gaming board look very favorable on it.
Its not a easy thing to get into. Anyways if I can help at all then drop me a private message or a thread and i be in contact.
Have a good un
David

Ermm....my Spiker the Biker MPU5 Genesis cab [Barcrest] is still playing up. One night was playing fine, and I turned it off. Next morning, turned it on, all I got was a REALLY loud 'BUZZZZ' which comes from the Speaker, as unhooking it solves the buzzing. No movement of reels and no alpha/7 seg display though, so effectively dead.

Turned on again a week later, and the same, until I twatted it REALLY hard, and it came back to life. Then, a week later, the same happens, the buzzing stuff and dead machine, and no luck from beating the crap out of it.

No fuses appear blown. The lights on the MPU5 show all green for voltages, Status light and Halt light are UNLIT. The boards (MUX5s, both of them, and the Reel driver board) have their lights on REALLY, REALLY feintly, so you need to shield them to see the feint light coming from them.

What could you recommend? Any help would be appreciated :)

BarcrestBenito
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#6 davemint

davemint

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:03 PM

ohh dear my good freind , what u need to tell me is . Is it a switch mode power supply (very light silver) Green Label , or standard PSU.

This could be down to several things.

1. Check that there is no carbon deposits on the fuse holders
2. There is no problem with the RED BAR BUS LOOM
3. The powersupply itself is capot.

Its unlikely to be the MPU at fault more a PSU problem.

I would put my money on the poor connections on the fuse holders. Do you have accsess to a Multimeter if so check the voltages comming from the PSU. On older PSU there is a label on them telling you what pins are what voltages. It is more than likely your 12v has loads of (electrical noise) cause by a fail of the CAP in the PSU.

Just because the LED are on the MPU lit it doesnt mean there is suffeciant current to supply the other boards.

I hope this has been of help to you.

If all else fails the hammer usually works a treat with ACP skips pmsl.

#7 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:35 PM

Hi Dave

A few people have already given me an answer to this question, but i'd still like clarification.

I have a BFM S2 Easy Money machine. When the machine has been switched on for 10 minutes or so, I start to get a buzzing sound from the speaker. This gets progressively louder the lomger the machine is on. Also pressing the start button can sometimes cut the buzzing volume by half until you collect any wins, then the buzzing goes back to full volume. Apart from thie noise, the machine operates as normal.

I've been told its the capacitors on the PSU, what do you think?

DAD

#8 davemint

davemint

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

It is either that or you have a bad earth somewhere on the machine.
Check to make sure all the earth wires are intact and there is a good connection this is usually a problem on older machines as the connections tend to break down and oxadise.

#9 SunderlandJ

SunderlandJ

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

Hi people,

I would like to say Hi to everyone, just like Davemint, I am a fully qualified AWP engineer, and its nice to know there is someone else on this board that is working in the same field as myself, so hello board, and hi dave

Leigh

#10 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

ohh dear my good freind , what u need to tell me is . Is it a switch mode power supply (very light silver) Green Label , or standard PSU.

I am assuming it is a standard PSU, the only sticker I know of is the Pink one for the Dataport :S

The PSU is an Ariel MPU-LF , which I guess is the original one. Looks like a date on it says 05(or is it 08)?/9X which probably means May or August 99...which would be the date of manufacture I guess. Do power supplies normally last about 5 years in your experience?

Also, if the PSU details I gave aren't of any use, am I looking for a sticker, and if so, where would it be?

Hi people,

I would like to say Hi to everyone, just like Davemint, I am a fully qualified AWP engineer, and its nice to know there is someone else on this board that is working in the same field as myself, so hello board, and hi dave

Leigh

Hi Leigh....damn I wish these engineer types would come forward more easily, and then we could share out the constant filling of their mailboxes, that way less of them would explode!

BarcrestBenito
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#11 bigslope

bigslope

• New Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:21 PM

Hi guys,

Does anyone of you engineers have a wiring diagram for a mars mech.
I have converted my old jukebox to an mp3 jukebox and only need to connect the mars mech to the interface board to allow the box to accept coins. I used to have a diagram years ago when i worked as an engineer in a local arcade but lost it over the years. I intend to use a ME111 or MS126.

Thanks guys

#12 Radicaldave

Radicaldave

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:47 PM

Ermm help....my Rogan Dosh fruity [qps] is playing up. One night was playing fine then it turned off. Now when its turned on, all I get is a REALLY loud 'BUZZZZ' which comes from the Speaker and then it fades after a few seconds. No movement of reels and no display though, so effectively dead. The mpu board has UNLIT LED on the 5vdc and in the manual it says this is the I.C supply on the mpu so i guess thats my problem how do i go about sorting it already checked for loose connections no joy. any suggestions?>

#13 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 10:56 PM

welcome to Fruit-Emu Radicaldave.

I'm sorry I cannot answer your problem, but there are several on this site that can and will help you, just give it a day as a few of the people who may help are not on-line.

Thank you for searching the forums looking for an answer and rather than create a post you added to one on the subject.

#14 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:00 AM

AFAIK it sounds like a knackered PSU - I know my Spiker the Biker machine was a different platform, but you'll see the similarities if you look HERE :

http://www.fruit-emu...ighlight=spiker

....you'll see what I mean :)

Anyway, would a QPS Rogan Dosh machine be JPM Impact or BFM Scorp4? I'd assume it was a JPM machine, but can't say for sure - either way, looks like a PSU.

When I replaced my Spiker PSU [MPU5 Green Label] - it was £15 collected, so it shouldn't be the most expensive part in the world. I'd say about £25 delivered. Best bet would be to contact a local supplier, found in Yellow Pages through 'Amusement Machine Suppliers' - and ask for a price on a PSU for a QPS machine [which SHOULD be JPM IMPACT].

Let us know how you get on :)
Ben

#15 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:03 AM

:lol: told you BC was (the) one I had in mind........

#16 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:09 AM

Awww.... cheers Ady, it's nice to be appreciated :)

Plus, people keep saying 'how does BC know so much?!' - it is simply because I've had so many problems with bandits that I ought to know whats wrong :D
Ben

#17 kensplace2

kensplace2

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:45 AM

Out of interest, as a engineer, do you have access to any pinouts for the various boards (a mux5 and reel board pinout would be great), some pins are obvious, but not sure about the barbus, and some of the others.

I would love to be able to use some spare boards (also have a couple of old JPM boards and coin mechs) for purposes other than fruities, as the are a handy interface board. But without the pinouts, its a hard task to figure out whats what.

I dont want to risk poking around inside my fruity (pie factory) to try to measure voltages, and without a scope it would be hard to figure out whats what anyways.....

Also my machine states it has a datapack fitted, any idea's where this is located, and what it looks like? Is it useful? I think its just for downloading data, but dont know what it holds, and would not mind having a poke around and seeing if I could get any data from it (sure I could rig up a IR reciever to my pc to check the machines front ir led, well fairly sure lol... lack of parts is a pain, but I have patience.....)

Bulbs - any one know how long they normally last? Good suppliers for them? Had one blow in the first month, tempted to replace any failed ones with something a bit better if possible, maybe replace them with something that will last a lifetime, but one step at a time.....

#18 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:03 AM

Datapak was a Barcrest [and it's subsidiaries] only thing wasn't it? Where did you get the machine from, as it is VERY rare for it to have a Datapak fitted. It is normally used in Bingo halls, and is IMHO is basically a 'Black Box' for the machine, storing all information with regards to coins in and out, for use in fraud investigaions. Those grannies trying to screwdriver credits out of machines - gotta love 'em!

Oh, best to point out I am not an engineer, I'm just a normal person that owns several machines after I got bored of 'giving' my cash to suppliers and landlords [i.e losing on machines].

My first set of bulbs was 100 SLI Small wedge bulbs for about £25 from RS Components on my dads business account. Now I'm paying around £12 + postage for 100 SLI bulbs on eBay - great source of bulbs for members of the public!

All that I am aware of with regards to technical information / wiring diagrams is the material on The Repository - http://resources.fruitemu.co.uk .

Hopefully you will find something of use in there!
Ben

#19 kensplace2

kensplace2

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

HI,

Cheers, Im looking on ebay for some bulbs for the pie factory, as I know if I dont get some soon, the bulbs will just slowly die out, and I will lose interest and let the machine "rot". I would prefer to keep it 100% working, seems more fun that way :)

Also apologies, just checked the sticker on the back of the machine which says "dataport" not datapack, and it claims to be a barcrest machine on the back (does barcrest own vivid? Probably, everyone owns someone these days)

The machine came from my other half, who gave me the dough to get it on ebay, as I have beem going on about wanting one for ages (not a pie factory, just a fruity, pie factory was the most modern machine available at the time, in good/perfect condition at a nice nice low price that I could find.)

Internally the machine is spotless, all security seals are in place, and its really clean (apart from minor damage to the outside plastic) so its been a ex pub machine by the looks of it.

Am I making sense lol, had a couple or more cans ;)

#20 Radicaldave

Radicaldave

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:23 PM

ok thanks, when i noticed that 5v line was not getting to the mpu i thought it would be a problem starting at the psu myself im going to go and pick up a multi-meter and spare psu from a friend to check it is a scorp mpu and stadium psu, will let you all know if i fix it and what is was..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users