Being Ripped Off At Train Stations And Airports

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 frig

frig

• Regulars
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

Wow! Glad I don't live in the UK any more.

Here (Thailand)
20 Cigs about 1.50
Diesel about 60p

Not everything is cheaper though. They opened up a Tesco just down the road last week and all the locals are complaining about how expensive it is.

#22 dachshund

dachshund

• Regulars
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:03 AM

i had a pack of pickled onion space raiders the other day, still taste great. can you still get tomato flavored Snaps? we have all been robbed on food for years, just look at the size of Wagon wheels. need i say any more

The Yorkie bars are not on me

#23 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

i like judging the state of the ecomomy by the price of space raiders! in the good old days they were 10p, a couple of years ago 15p which i could handle....... but now in my local shop 25 f*****g pence!!!!!!! no way they have really over stepped the mark there! as much as i love them i just cant pay 25p for a packet :-( it sad but now i just have to steal them instead! how criminal!!! and dont even get me started on CURLY WURLY'S or CHOMP'S!!!!!!!!!

yeah i remember pickled onion spce raiders when they were two bob lol,i don't touch tht kind of stuff now apart from a bag every now and then,they are as you said 25p and they taste crap as there not made the same.Same with other crisps/snacks they used to be 10p,they are now 30p and a big label on the front saying BIGGER BAG,yet there seams to be less in em.

#24 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

Wow! Glad I don't live in the UK any more.

Here (Thailand)
20 Cigs about 1.50
Diesel about 60p

Not everything is cheaper though. They opened up a Tesco just down the road last week and all the locals are complaining about how expensive it is.

WOW...maybe i should change the title of the thread to 'Being ripped off in the UK in general'

Its the same in the US .. last time i was there which was about 5 years ago..i know its a bit more expensive now..but i think i only paid about $3 for a packet of ciggies..and the time before that i went over with my work that was about 12 years ago..and they asked me to go fill up the car with 'gas' managed to fill the tank for about $26 .
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#25 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

For me, little Chefs are the worst. 99p for a "side" of bacon. Turns out that's one manky rasher about the size of a small squashed satsuma. Refused to pay and got it free in the end...

#26 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Also a tip for you who use the train loads..... apply for an Bite Card, which gets you 20% near enough everything at nearly all SSP operated places....

http://www.bitecard.co.uk/default.asp

Cheers for the link Stan..i dont use the train a lot likes..but i do now and again , never know when that will come in handy. :)

#27 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

• Regulars
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:15 PM

£1.99 for a con I mean a can of Rockstar in most garages, some actually overstep the mark and charge £2.08. I buy a crate of 12 for £7.36 or something in costco. Same with fags, usually pay £5.29 for 20 but in the garage the other night paid £6.99 for the same. Definitely have you by the short and curlys. But the worst was a few months back now, on a day shift 7am start, not working my usual patch but running from Manchester so didnt have time for breakfast, about 1pm I was starving, so when I fuelled up van I bought a sandwich, a deep fill ham salad baguette to be precise. I paid £3.29 for it and tbh it looked delicious. Took my first bite and tasted gorgeous, second bite only tasted like salad, so I opened it up and low and behold the ham was about 1 inch in width and then folded over so it looked like 2 layers of ham on the baguette, whereas it was one measly piece, deep fill my arse, only deeply filled with salad. I think manufacturers should actually label the items with a price and then it is up to the shop if they want to charge that price or make it cheaper, for example B&M bargains, the coffee we get in there is Kenco Rappor, the jar is labelled at £2.89 however they only charge something like £1.69 for it.

#28 boromag

boromag

• New Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

Agree with you there. 200g jar of Maxwell House in Iceland is £2, the same in Sainsburys Express is £3.69 and it is supposed to be 100% free! Had to laugh the other day though, Tesco had tins of Quality street etc at £10 each, the next morning they had a sign up at £5 half price. I suppose the have to prove that they were actually selling them for £10 originally but too many big stores hike up the prices only to knock a few quid off to make you think it's cheap.

#29 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

The problem with shops at Airports is that they have such MASSIVE rents and overheads that they have to bump up the prices to cover them. If they didn't then they would go out of business. Admittedly they have the market and can charge whatever they want and 99% of people will pay it.

It is annoying, and motorway service stations are among the worst culprits. I went to Wembley Arena last night and they were charging £3.50 for a bag od Fruit Pastilles.

£3.50!!! Robbing c***s!!

#30 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:23 AM

The problem with shops at Airports is that they have such MASSIVE rents and overheads that they have to bump up the prices to cover them. If they didn't then they would go out of business. Admittedly they have the market and can charge whatever they want and 99% of people will pay it.

It is annoying, and motorway service stations are among the worst culprits. I went to Wembley Arena last night and they were charging £3.50 for a bag od Fruit Pastilles.

£3.50!!! Robbing c***s!!

Yep that is the problem, and no more evident is this, than the price of a burger at a music gig, to which I have been at before as a trader.

EG..... Rock And Blues...... cost per pitch for me mate about 3 years back, was £350 for the weekend, selling classic rock merch..... most he had ever paid for an event, and he only just broke even..... for food sellers, it was £1,500, and one poor sod had 5 pitches, and only took £80 tops!

#31 superbank

superbank

Antagonist

• Gold Supporters
  • 567 posts

Donator

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

. Doubt its quiet that high, maybe 1 outta 5 would pay, I'm defiantly in the 1% that wouldn't pay :p

No it's a hell of a lot higher tha 20% of people who will buy stuff at Airports. Even if it's a pack of chewing gum or a newspaper then nearly everyone who goes through an airport will buy something. Think, if you are on a long haul flight or a connection then you could be there for three hours or more so will need some sort of refreshment. And just think of the people who have to throw away the drink they've bought just to go through departures!

#32 straekseims

straekseims

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 302 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

smoked for 12 years and decided Id had enough so I quit 1 year ago this week

My car (L reg 1994) has been on the petrol for 17 years, Ive tried to make it give up but it just sits at the side of the road and refuses to move :cute:

#33 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:17 AM

10 Mayfair Superkings are £3.15 in local off licence. Went to Bluewater Shopping center and in the little newsagents by the food court they are £4.20 for 10. Big mark up. Also £3.45 at local BP garage. What a rip off.

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#34 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

10 Mayfair Superkings are £3.15 in local off licence. Went to Bluewater Shopping center and in the little newsagents by the food court they are £4.20 for 10. Big mark up. Also £3.45 at local BP garage. What a rip off.

See i wouldnt mind paying the £3.45 although it would be grudged .. but if desperate times call for desperate measures..but £4.20 is just pulling your pants right down.

Its the the same with places like Burger King .. Costa Coffee (costa fkin fortune) .. they add at least £1.50 on to their meals etc at airports etc..i totally grudge paying it..but sometimes needs must if your flight is delayed and you've got 2 weans with you and their moaning because they are so hungry.

#35 mc_christopher

mc_christopher

• New Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

Should smoke tobacco, even at shop prices its a f*** ton cheaper than cigarettes.

#36 stevefry19

stevefry19

• Regulars
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

the reason they get away with it is because they pay the airport .. railway.. coach station etc to be the only vendor on that area there for making them a demand so for convenience they are the only ones there so push the price up knowin someone will have forgotten to.. eat..drink..get paper etc etc so your payin a convenience charge more than anything it is wrong though but they get away with it cause people use them if no one did they would have to lower prices to survive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users