• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

I have thought long and hard before creating this thread… but I now feel that the subject should be approached and we should have things cleared up once and for all.

As a lot of you know, I have made an announcement about my health on the forums, and to be honest, as I have nothing to lose, and probably will not remember any of this in a few years’ time anyway, I feel I should speak out on behalf of the vast majority of FME members who have seen disappointment after disappointment over the past few years.

I greatly respect, and always have, the Emu creators – Wizard, DialTone and Re-Animator have done sterling jobs with their work – and for that I will always be extremely grateful – it was one of the reasons I brought a computer and went on the internet for. We are also waiting in the wings as it were for Guitar to release Amber… but to be honest, we just don’t know where we are standing on that front. Wizard has said that he will not release any updated MFME emulator until Guitar has released Amber… and so the circus goes on.

Life really is too short for all this ‘let’s wait and see’. The regular FME members know that Wizard was betrayed by a couple of his people he trusted, quite a few years ago now, and because of that he refused anymore updates to MFME… so for the sake of a couple of people, an whole scene is deprived of something that has made many people happy over the years – me especially. I certainly can understand his hurt and mistrust, when you have worked hard on a project and certain parts of it are ‘leaked’ before you are ready to do a release, would indeed make me very angry – but not with people who haven’t had anything to do with it. Over the years since the leak, many, many members have gathered resources and artwork, roms etc., in preparation, and hope that a new emulator release will become available… and recently the signs have seemed promising – but like, as always in FME land – it is becoming another big disappointment.

Guitar has certainly made very bold and big claims about how great his new Amber MPU4 emulator will be… even setting a release date… that came and went… but hardly any update or explanation about its progress. We know, as I am only too aware, that real-life issues do come first, but when promises are made, and lapse, and when talk is big and bold, but nothing seems to be coming of it, then the empathy starts to wear thin… and to be honest, it really is with me.

I have few precious years left to enjoy my life… and I really am going to do… and would love FME to still be part of me until such times that it cannot be… but I for one do not want to see FME dies slowly, like me, when many members have put extreme hard work into what they have done for the scene… only for it to become nought – that really isn’t fair.

So I am asking both Wizard and Guitar, personally in this thread, to answer just ‘YES’ or ‘NO’ as to whether we will be seeing an emulator release. I am not prepared to stay around this scene with what few years I have left trying to flog a dead horse. I don’t want to hear, ‘i don’t know’ or ‘maybe’ or ‘let’s see what the other is like first’ – that really isn’t fair to the vast majority of the members of FME who have loved the scene as much as I have – they deserve an answer and they deserve it NOW.

As I have said, I have nothing to lose for this thread… but I am hoping that FME will continue for many more years to come and when new members come and see what we as a scene has created, long after I have gone FME will be able to survive – but it can only survive with an honest answer of yes or no from the creators, so as we can move on, and if we aren’t having an update, I can go and find better things to do with the few remaining years of my life.
Long live FME!! 
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#2 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:10 PM

Wizzo did say he wouldnt release anything untill 'Amber' was out guess thats still no guarantee that he will actually release anything

but you know what mfme is like more drama than enders, corry, hollyoaks (without boobs) and ElDorado

just with more strops and better acting :wideeyed:
Posted Image

#3 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

Daryl, that was a long and honest threads from the heart - but at the end of the day its just your point of view.

Wizard openly said he would (thats a YES to you) release some sort of update BUT not until Guitar has had a fair and open chance to release project amber. Guitar has also publicly announced the release of his recent works. Whilst we all waited in anticipation for the day of the release, Guitar has stated that the release is merely placed on hold, until his health is better. (still a YES as far as i understand).

Since Wizard has been coding again and looks to release some sort of update in the future, one would assume that previous grudges have been forgotten about. (i did not get involved when the argument broke out, but do understand his personal fustration). the fact that he is prepared to wait for guitar i think is damn fine sortsmanship.

so, would i be right in saying that there are no grudges here, only fairplay and anticipation for project amber?

#4 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

Well i wish something would happen and soon! there was quite a buz about the forums for a week or so when there was news of an new emulator being released.Then there was news of an possible mfme update,with screenshots of currently unemulated machines running.There were posts appearing all over the shop,but the last 4 weeks have been shit,seams the hype has all died down and nobodys posting owt of any importance.I really wish something would get a release soon as at the moment were scraping the bottom of the barrel with layout releases.If things don't change all's there will be is an updated layout getting released every so often,and this will proberbly cause even more layout creators to throw in the towel.

#5 elcondor

elcondor

MAME bloke

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

I honestly believe that we will see updates from Guitar and Wizard, largely because they've both made statements to that effect. Admittedly, we're waiting a little longer than originally intended, but when these do happen, the level of advancement in FME will shoot forward dramitically, because that's what competition does. Hell, it's even dragged me back here to actually start coding stuff again. Seriously though, when this starts. brace yourself, because I can see a bit of an FME arms race coming.

#6 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

We are also waiting in the wings as it were for Guitar to release Amber… but to be honest, we just don’t know where we are standing on that front. Wizard has said that he will not release any updated MFME emulator until Guitar has released Amber… and so the circus goes on.

The reasons for the hold up have been given several times around the various sites, its coming soon, I cant say when because I dont know when, it has progressed a lot today and hopefully will see some sort of completion very soon.

Just look at it this way, this time last year we still had little hope of a future MFME release and Amber was still very much under construction. We now have an MFME update due sometime reasonably soon, and Amber is pretty damn close to completion.

We've waited what 5-6 years since the last MFME, possibly more, and FME was declared dead many times. Its going to get a revival soon, just sit back and wait a little bit. I know you also have health issues and time is a bit critical but don't panic I'm sure it will all happen soon enough.

So I am asking both Wizard and Guitar, personally in this thread, to answer just ‘YES’ or ‘NO’

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

That better?

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#7 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

That better?

To be honest Guitar, as I have mentioned, I really don't personally give a flying shit anymore... much more important issues to contend with. I have just done this for the majority of members on the FME scene who have been so let down badly over the years and deserved some clarity, but haven't dared ask out in fear of jeopardising a release.

So thank you Guitar, you have more than adequately answered my question... so that is 50% of my job done. :)

I just want FME to survive - and this has seemed the only way that any movement could be shown to all our questions that want to be asked, but dare not be said.

Long live FME. :)
All The Best

Daryl

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#8 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Guitar has stated that the release is merely placed on hold, until his health is better.

Well not quite, my health is an issue which has drawn time away from the project. At the time I announced the release date I was working on the emu approx 40 Hours a week interleaved with work, as I had been for some time. At that workrate it would have been ready in time for release date. Things went a bit pear shaped so now I get about 10 hours a week on it if I am lucky, so it is still in progress but slower than hoped / expected. That said Ive done 6 hours to it today.

You will be pleased to hear that the Layout Creation Wizards are cloe to completion, which ties the classic tools together, adds some easy conversion tools (classic > DX), and other features.

After that it will be useable as an emu. Then just make it a bit more user friendly (all the tool tips, different mouse pointers, shortcut keys etc).

Not too much more to do.

#9 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

peace and harmony restored - thread closed ?

#10 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

peace and harmony restored - thread closed ?

Why? What is wrong with asking a question Nails? And why should the thread be closed? It isn't obscene or offensive - it is asking a question, that frankly, after many years, needed answering. Only 50% of the question has been answered as well, of which I am thankful for to Guitar, and he has helped clear up about Amber, which for the scene I am grateful for, but why should this thread be 'swept under the carpet'... is it so as it keeps the peace?

I am sick and tired of walking on eggshells trying not to break any in case it upsets anyone... well I am not going to be shut up just because I have asked questions that is frankly on a good percentage of all the forums members minds and has been for a very long time...

... I thought I lived in a democracy - how strange?!
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#11 ForYouToEnvy

ForYouToEnvy

Prince says....Raghead

• Regulars
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

Im guessing nails asked for thread to be closed before the trolls moved in and was not trying to put your well worded post down.

Guitar has answered and as Wizard has said "wait till amber is out" i think it would be better to ask if an mfme update is forthcomming after amber has gone live.

#12 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:16 AM

To be honest asking a question has never destroyed harmony - except for maybe "where's that nice Archduke Ferdinand bloke?". Being someone who is never afraid to ask a question myself I would have probably posted pretty much what Daryl did but know many people don't like to "risk" any progress.... You don't ask you don't get and we should all be allowed to make our points. People are dissapointed because their hopes were raised by a promised release date and (if manipulatively, shrewdly or nicely) Wizard has said his won't be done until after Ambers release people are pushing Guitars as much for Amber as for progress on MFME.
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#13 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

Should we take this as a maybe? :goofy:
Posted Image

#14 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

Should we take this as a maybe? :goofy:

I think if you read between the lines in an abstract way, this fellow might be hinting at a future emulator release :yes:
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#15 jim2311

jim2311

Genius

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

If this is the hassle (I might even go as far as to call it abuse) that Guitar receives for trying to inject new life and bring pleasure to you FME lovers then I don’t see the point in me continuing developing my own emulator creation.

I was going to release this on 5th March 2024, but after the attacks on Guitar because his suggested release date has expired, I have now revised my release date to the 12TH March 2024, thus buying me some more valuable time.
Sorry you will have to wait an extra week, but you know who to point the finger of blame at, and NO, I will not be posting regular updates on its development, so don’t ask.

I will however continue to contribute regularly to the “Secret Thread” so that the “Inner Circle” is kept well informed….wink wink!

#16 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

If this is the hassle (I might even go as far as to call it abuse) that Guitar receives for trying to inject new life and bring pleasure to you FME lovers then I don’t see the point in me continuing developing my own emulator creation.

I was going to release this on 5th March 2024, but after the attacks on Guitar because his suggested release date has expired, I have now revised my release date to the 12TH March 2024, thus buying me some more valuable time.
Sorry you will have to wait an extra week, but you know who to point the finger of blame at, and NO, I will not be posting regular updates on its development, so don’t ask.

I will however continue to contribute regularly to the “Secret Thread” so that the “Inner Circle” is kept well informed….wink wink!

Good for you... if I am still in sane mind then (I doubt it very much) I will look forward to your release. ;)
All The Best

Daryl

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

speed

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

I dont mind people asking questions, by all means please do. It shows an interest in the emu and that helps me keep motivated. What I mind is pointed attacks from people (none of which have posted in this thread) who have never even attempted an emulator, yet seem to think they can dictate how it should be completed despite not knowing the first thing about the complexities of emulation. If I devoted as much time to another job or project as I have to the emulator I could probably have several thousand in the bank right now, but I don't. So it would be nice if sometimes people respect the fact that emu coding can be much like having a second, unpaid job, at the end of which you get a few thankyous, a couple of week's break, followed by "when is the next bit coming out". I enjoy doing the emulation, but the backstabbing, politics and overall bullshit that surrounds it can make it an uphill struggle sometimes.

But, certainly from my point of view, dont ever be afraid to ask questions, just please don't be upset if the answer is "I don't know", or "not yet", or another answer which you don't like. I would love nothing more than to spend every waking moment coding the best emulator you've ever seen, but realistically its just not possible.

And Wizard not releasing his until after mine is pure genius on his part.

Edited by Guitar, 04 July 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#18 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

Tbh at the end of the day i think most of the posts which may seem negative are down to impatience,as were wanting something new ''that includes me'' it shows that theres great interest in what is being created doesn't it? I did think for a while that there wasn't gonna be a release as things went quite for a while,maybe my assumptions have come from trawling through the many pages of history surrounding emulators and there releases.I don't know about anyone else but this year is the time for something new coming to the scene both amber and mfme,you only have to look at the forums to see theres jack shit going on,untill there was your progress reports and the possibility of an updated version of mfme.As it stands theres naff all left to do,and thats down to the fact the resources aren't there along with the fact that what we do have cannot be played due to errors/unemulated techs.I don't know what will happen in the forthcoming months but i do know what i want and thats something new to release,as the bottom of the barrel has been reached afaik.Who knows maybe next year we could have our own fme X factor the battle of the emu's :D

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

As it stands theres naff all left to do,and thats down to the fact the resources aren't there ...

Well, there are LOADS of layouts that need bringing up to standards, plus many proconn games that need doing still. Theme Park still doesn't have a DX despite me posting hi res pics of them on the mecca a few months back. Plus I am sure if you look there are in fact loads of machines left to emulate.

The older techs still have many hidden treasures left to emulate.

I agree there are far fewer now than before but we're not quite scraping the barrel yet.

#20 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Well, there are LOADS of layouts that need bringing up to standards, plus many proconn games that need doing still. Theme Park still doesn't have a DX despite me posting hi res pics of them on the mecca a few months back. Plus I am sure if you look there are in fact loads of machines left to emulate.

The older techs still have many hidden treasures left to emulate.

I agree there are far fewer now than before but we're not quite scraping the barrel yet.

Yeah i suppose i overlook them ones,is the reason no'ones chose to do theme park is because it doesn't have the correct soundies,if people don't mind using the cool million soundies,i'll have a crack at this and see what i can do with it,if nobody else hasn't already started a silent wip.Edited to add the photo's are great, and a really good dx could be made with these,although therwes no button graphics or reels but they can be made up from things we have.The question is,is it worth creating when we don't have soundies as thats the main reason no other designer has dx'ed it yet.Is it worth spending time on it for a £1 to be thrown in it then it be binned as the sounds don't work properly.This is a real shame as these are good games were nearly every board is a jackpot,especially on 10p/£5 and 20p/£5.are there no sounds for this yet?

Edited by Tommy c, 04 July 2011 - 01:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users