Photo
- - - - -

How Has What Was Once Such A Good Site Gone So Bad

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Old members opinion of the site and its over zealous admins. (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel FruitEmu rates now

1. Better than tte good old days (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Worse than the good old days (17 votes [62.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

3. Voted About the same (or I don't care) (10 votes [37.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

Without wanting to be contentious I felt I have no choice but to make some comments most of the old members here have stated. This site used to be a thriving mecca of comment and fruit related interraction, however now seems taken over by a few school kids and a couple of admins who monitor out any comment that they don't agree with (I would give this topic an hour before they remove it "because they can"). Many people from the early days have moved on admittedly (although I would argue that many of them have moved on because sites like this have been so dumbed down). A few people seem to rehash old layouts which were already superbly done and then people who have no idea how to search for the previous versions say how wonderful they are. There were very many layouts which were done badly or had poor resources at the time they are done - perhaps you could work on those instead?

My main concern though is that a membership site is run by a couple of trigger happy admins who only allow comment they like and agree with, what do you think? I know many people will feel they cannot agree or comment due to the nature of the "gang" mentallity in here but try and have the strength ;-)
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#2 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

I presume you refer to a comment posted by yourself last night pointing to Fruit Emu Forever?

The comment was made, and BruceGeorge replied, both comments pointed to a 'flame war' starting up.

We are NOT button happy, our job is to Moderate..that post was Moderated before it basically got out of hand.

#3 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

FME has gone a bit shit latley look at the release replies.........blame no emu and lack of motivation people get bored and lose interest (look at FF thats gone really shite)

hopefully when guitar gets his emu finished it should bring some more interest and people back to fme :radar:

but yes i agree there is quite a few layout/DX's that need a springclean and a freshen up (er none of mine :lol:)
Posted Image

#4 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:54 AM

I presume you refer to a comment posted by yourself last night pointing to Fruit Emu Forever?

The comment was made, and BruceGeorge replied, both comments pointed to a 'flame war' starting up.

We are NOT button happy, our job is to Moderate..that post was Moderated before it basically got out of hand.

I refer to the site and moderation in general (not Duplu who has always handled himself brilliantly above it all). I am not suprised you think it's down to one comment though as that's indicative about just how far we have gone. Again something you "deem" is contentious as it does not agree with you in this instance was removed. For the benefit of all the comment was any site you need to download from not here as a member should not be in new releases and releases aimed at pushing you to another subscription site should have to pay Duplu advertising money. You could say Pooks site was a link out but you never needed to join that. Again as Tod or Ady don't agree with this comment I expect it to be deleted in 10 - 9 - 8......

The truth is the truth whether you dump it in the trash or not.

Edited by jamesb99_1999, 12 March 2010 - 08:56 AM.

#5 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

Without wanting to be contentious I felt I have no choice but to make some comments most of the old members here have stated. This site used to be a thriving mecca of comment and fruit related interraction, however now seems taken over by a few school kids and a couple of admins who monitor out any comment that they don't agree with (I would give this topic an hour before they remove it "because they can"). Many people from the early days have moved on admittedly (although I would argue that many of them have moved on because sites like this have been so dumbed down). A few people seem to rehash old layouts which were already superbly done and then people who have no idea how to search for the previous versions say how wonderful they are. There were very many layouts which were done badly or had poor resources at the time they are done - perhaps you could work on those instead?

My main concern though is that a membership site is run by a couple of trigger happy admins who only allow comment they like and agree with, what do you think? I know many people will feel they cannot agree or comment due to the nature of the "gang" mentallity in here but try and have the strength ;-)

I'll pick you up on a couple of points here if i may...

IIRC about 2 years or more ago you had enough of this site and 'left for good' and joined FF never to return again..so why do you care what goes on in here ?

You seem to return periodically..either when there is a raging debate/argument going on in the forums that you can comment on to 'stoke the fire' some more..or start a debate/argument.

It is unfair to refer to Duplu and Wozza as 'trigger happy admins' as they dont take much to do with the forums that is left to us 'Moderators' to sort out.

I dont really know where this 'gang mentality' thing comes from i think this is all in your paranoid mind..everyone on here has the right to free speech to a certain extent..posts/threads would be removed for various reasons and not because the 'gang' dosent agree with them.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#6 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:23 AM

So these are your thoughts and concerns?
They're not truth, they're opinion.
But you're welcome to your own opinion here. I'm not going to instantly trash this topic. Us Mods aren't like that.

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#7 Guest_tommy c_*

Guest_tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Aint getting into no argument here just having my say.At the moment the site is very quiete for what reasons who knows,lack of things to chat about,not much going on fme wise e.g as mr 99 says not many spanking new layouts being released that ain't been done before.on the other hand to that who has the right to say you can't release a layout thats already been done.I myself have released quite an handfull of layouts that have already been done really well,but iv'e still had a go.Back to the original poll i deon't think the sites gone bad it's just the fact that people ain't posting as much as they used to,and with alot of members on here loving the early fruitys theres nothing much to find on that front so there not really interested in the new shite,so i think that also affects posting.But only last week we got a really old machine brought to us by pook which is always good to see one of his top class dx's,so eveb though things are really slow there is still things going on just very slow,just my thoughts on things at the mo.

#8 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

You and Bruce are doing a great job for Laptop users with your 1024 DXs. Don't let anyone get you down with what you do mate

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#9 Fruity_Goodness

Fruity_Goodness

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

My main concern though is that a membership site is run by a couple of trigger happy admins who only allow comment they like and agree with

We can this "The Internet".
He who wrestles with a turd will be beshitted whether he fall under it or over it.

#10 brucegeorge

brucegeorge

Layout Disasters

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:08 PM

See I can understand why people get upset when they feel someone is trying to take away from this site and the users that have given them YEARS and YEARS of laughs and fun. bUT you don't always see the full story first things first this site will always be the number 1 the first site people go to and that's a FACT and all I can say is thank god to that.

Next myself and Tommy went to set up our own site why cos we wanted a chance to try it if it don't work we will have learnt alot. Plus we will be able to understand how hard it is to try and do something like this is that a bad thing?

Also before I started to set the site up I made a point to message Duplu,Dad and Cliff and all the guys who own the other sites. Asking for there thoughts and asking if its ok to link to our new site I thought I may get told where to go but NO I didn't they were great. They are VERY busy but great they offered help and other things to get the site up and running. I also sent a Message to Kriss,Johnnyafc and RB as we wanted to link to there work on this site in our machines of the month. They all said it was fine but I left RB's work off the site till I heard back so the fact is we will always add work here if our site works or it dont.

WHY cos myself and Tommy owe this site alot and the fact is we owe the people on here too plus we have people we class as friends over here.

Bruce

#11 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hmm, interesting points but i have to say every contributor to this site, whether it be an admin, mod, layout creator or the person with the answers to the questions being asked are what make this community as it is.

I have been part of that community for nearly 7 years now and we have seen the Rmoore's come and go, the constant requests for Party time and those now who cant wait for DOND. We make this scene and to put it as plain and simple as i can - If your not happy with something voice your opinion, if no one listens or takes another opinon then thats entirely up to them. Its not grounds to start bickering like children with each other. I don't direct this statement at you, but more as a recommendation for all.....

We are all adults here, So lets act like one rather than hiding behind a few lines of code..

The mods do a great job, the contributors to the site (whether financial or informational) all make up the team... lets just get along !

Now kiss and make up.
N/A

#12 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:32 PM

I'll pick you up on a couple of points here if i may...

IIRC about 2 years or more ago you had enough of this site and 'left for good' and joined FF never to return again..so why do you care what goes on in here ?

You seem to return periodically..either when there is a raging debate/argument going on in the forums that you can comment on to 'stoke the fire' some more..or start a debate/argument.

It is unfair to refer to Duplu and Wozza as 'trigger happy admins' as they dont take much to do with the forums that is left to us 'Moderators' to sort out.

I dont really know where this 'gang mentality' thing comes from i think this is all in your paranoid mind..everyone on here has the right to free speech to a certain extent..posts/threads would be removed for various reasons and not because the 'gang' dosent agree with them.

You should read posts before replying to them - Duplu and Wozza are great and I would never criticise them - the only mod I think hasn't got a clue is you so not sure what you are talking about. I don't periodically return I log on almost everyday and reply to many threads (not that you would have a clue about members or anything to be honest) and might have said I was going to leave the site at one point because I was sick of you but we all say things in the heat of the moment and to be fair you were never important enough to force any of us to leave.

I do sincerely believe that "new releases" should not be used as a way to generate traffic away from this site on to another - that is the point of BANNERadvertising or subscriptions, especially to a site called FruitEmu whatever - any website would not want a similarly named site to start up and use a carrott and stick method of migrating members.

Edited by jamesb99_1999, 12 March 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#13 Guest_tommy c_*

Guest_tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Thats the name we started off with it was always planned to change the name for the exact reason it's two familiar to fruit emu.By the way the sites call fruit emu forver not fruit emu whatever :D

#14 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

You should read posts before replying to them - Duplu and Wozza are great and I would never criticise them

I did read your pathetic post carefully before i replied FYI..you said 'trigger happy admins'..im not an admin as you may or may not have noticed i am infact a Moderator..big difference.

After all facts are facts..your continuing persecution of myself is something i dont really give a shit about TBH.

The only people i have to answer to on the site are the Admins and the other Moderators and if i was looking after the site in a disorderly or inappropriate manner im sure Duplu or Wozza would be the first to tell me.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#15 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

I have just voted and that was for the "worse than before" option. That is not because of any bad feelings towards the admins / moderators who freely give of their tiem to ensure we have a spam free, fairly well moderated forum. Some may disagree with their decisions, but the reality is they make those decisions.

They also allow quite substantial lee-way before taking action. I recall Ady putting up with shed-loads of shite from Alth and from more recently from Lincs before they got banned. He tried everything to avoid doing so as far as I could tell from the publicly available information (I think CB actually banned Lincs in the end).

I don't come on here as often as I just don;t like the site layout anymore, I cannot stick it for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. I have made my feelings known but I cannot do anything else. I also understand why Duplu changed the provider and I would rather have a Fruit-Emu which I can only visit in short bursts, than Fruit-Emu go the way of FruitWorkz, DIF, PoundRun, whatever.

I am sorry James, but you have a well known gripe against Toodles for whatever reason, but as far as I can tell he is a great bloke who takes loads of ribbing and doesn't object. It is you who has the problem, not him.

Now fecking calm down everyone. It's only FME, not real life.

bj

#16 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

I have just voted and that was for the "worse than before" option. That is not because of any bad feelings towards the admins / moderators who freely give of their tiem to ensure we have a spam free, fairly well moderated forum. Some may disagree with their decisions, but the reality is they make those decisions.

They also allow quite substantial lee-way before taking action. I recall Ady putting up with shed-loads of shite from Alth and from more recently from Lincs before they got banned. He tried everything to avoid doing so as far as I could tell from the publicly available information (I think CB actually banned Lincs in the end).

I don't come on here as often as I just don;t like the site layout anymore, I cannot stick it for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. I have made my feelings known but I cannot do anything else. I also understand why Duplu changed the provider and I would rather have a Fruit-Emu which I can only visit in short bursts, than Fruit-Emu go the way of FruitWorkz, DIF, PoundRun, whatever.

I am sorry James, but you have a well known gripe against Toodles for whatever reason, but as far as I can tell he is a great bloke who takes loads of ribbing and doesn't object. It is you who has the problem, not him.

Now fecking calm down everyone. It's only FME, not real life.

bj

I don't have a problem with toodles - I have a big problem with toodles as a moderator (yes I accidentally called them admins earlier as my knowledge of your internal terminology is nmot perfect so shoot me) - he is way too biased and nasty to be in control of anything - I believe moderators should be fair and even handed (as you are correct to say adyb generally is). I have to say I'm not as fond of the new design if I'm honest but can also understand that it regularly changes for various reasons (this has never been one of the things keeping me away from the site). Running three of my own sites as well as a company I am very busy however view this site almost daily and comment when an interesting thread comes on so believe I have the same right to be on this site as Todd whatever he may believe.

I am an advocate of freedom of speech and am always honest about my feelings so sometimes this does make people think I am argumentative, but to me honesty to myself is very very important.

The biggest issues I have are A) people trying to hijack users from this site and B) I do think the membership took a bit of a nosedive on this site as sometimes it reminds me of a schoolplayground. I like kids, but dislike the bullish/bullying that sometimes comes with it, although think over 80% of the people on the site are still good just wish some of them felt more free to interract.

#17 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

all im saying on the subject is that since all 3 major sites had a revamp

it seems all the sites have lost posters, even DADs

was the upgrades a bad idea? was it good?

only time will tell (or an emulator update ;))

#18 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

i dont post as much now due to a couple of people shafting me and also i'm not too keen on the new layout

but

i wont be leaving.

also i dont let fruit emu become a major part of my life and i recommend some people do the same.

baz

#19 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

i dont post as much now due to a couple of people shafting me

harsh

most people would just walk

i know i would

#20 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

My tuppence.

I've always found the moderators fair, friendly and helpful. I don't see any of them as biased or unfair to anybody.

No issues with bruce and tommy creating their own site. What I will say is that making layouts exclusive to their site for 2 weeks is probably too much. A few days is ok in my book. These 2 guys are up there with the most active creators, so they deserve support if they want to create their own site. No creators, no FME.

I don't see the site as having been taken over by schoolkids. There was a problem about a year back but the members in question don't really post any more. We could do with a bit more Fruit Emu related threads, and less junk, but overall the quality of stuff being posted is ok. Hopefully a new emu will breathe life back into the site.

People are still creating new stuff, it's not all rehashes. There's been some brand new stuff brought to the site lately. I've got an unreleased WIP, so do a number of others.

There's too much fighting in the FME scene as a whole. We are all here because we have a shared interest, and yet we insist on trying to score points or rip others apart. If we all work together to make something happen who knows what we could achieve.

Edited by Dougsta, 12 March 2010 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users