• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

I have made a post in a thread that may get obscured about screen resolution.

In it, I have read a post link that Barcrest Junky provided from The Mecca. It really doesn't seem three years next month since the leak of v9.4 emulator nearly brought FME to the brink of folding - yet three years later, the world hasn't stopped and new releases, for both the official and unofficial emulators are still being provided for us.

Although, as I have mentioned in the post below, I really feel for the way that Chris (Wizard) was treated back then, his emulator creations have still provided pleasure for the THOUSANDS that have been involved in FME, in one way or another - as I have stated, he should rightly feel proud of his work that has brought a vast majority of us hours and hours of pleasure. :)

Here is a copy of the posts made by both Barcrest Junky and myself:

Barcrest Junky's post
A lot of poeple are fairly sure there is a later version of the software that will undoubtedly be an improvement on the versions we have available to us, it is just not on public release yet. Will a newer version ever be released, now there's a question.

For those who missed the last time - here is the last thread from the master himself.

No more MFME releases - The MPU Mecca

bj

My post
I have just reminisced reading that thread, and I cannot believe it is three years ago! Where does time go?

I still really do feel gutted for Chris (Wizard), after giving us all years of enjoyment with MPU3/4 & MFME1, 2 & 3, even though I do use v9.4 and the later release of 10.1. In the three years that have passed, the release of many Scorpion 4 and MPU5 layouts have been vast, and although I know that Wizard probably doesn't feel this, but he should be proud, in a way, how the emulator's release (albeit unofficially) has progressed. He created the emulators (for which I will always be eternally grateful) both those officially and unofficially released, and even three years later down the line, releases are still being made, for both MFME and 9.4 & 10.1.

I hope that Wizard is proud of what he created (even though I have read that it was a 'monster' he created by giving the leaked emulators to those he trusted) and that even now, three years down the line from what many thought would be the end of FME, we are still going strong, with layouts being made for all the emulators.

Well done Wizard for your achievement - you have truly made THOUSANDS of people happy with your talents and I for one, as I have mentioned, will always be grateful for that.

All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#2 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:36 PM

some people are bastards but thats just life isnt it ??

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#3 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:57 PM

Good post Daryl. I had only just joined FME land when the leak happened and the enormity or it all passed me by, after all I was only after line up and exchanges unlimited and anything pre 1990 barcrest, so what would I need with MFME9.4 - heck I only downloaded it myself earlier this year!

Since then, especially this year, I have read all the history and understand a bit more just what it was all about, the main players and the prime suspects. Chris has been an utter gent through all this, I don't recall seeing a comment about it from him ever since that post at the Mecca.

I am sure FME will live on. Guitar with his FMEF will give us new tech(s) to emulate come next year and who knows EPEE may get released and give us EPOCH. Even if they don't happen there seems to be a fairly constant supply of ROMS for new stuff to emulate although that source will inevitably run out eventually.

FME - it sometimes sucks but I can't live without it

bj

#4 ritdav

ritdav

• Regulars
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Good post Daryl. I had only just joined FME land when the leak happened and the enormity or it all passed me by, after all I was only after line up and exchanges unlimited and anything pre 1990 barcrest, so what would I need with MFME9.4 - heck I only downloaded it myself earlier this year!

Since then, especially this year, I have read all the history and understand a bit more just what it was all about, the main players and the prime suspects. Chris has been an utter gent through all this, I don't recall seeing a comment about it from him ever since that post at the Mecca.

I am sure FME will live on. Guitar with his FMEF will give us new tech(s) to emulate come next year and who knows EPEE may get released and give us EPOCH. Even if they don't happen there seems to be a fairly constant supply of ROMS for new stuff to emulate although that source will inevitably run out eventually.

FME - it sometimes sucks but I can't live without it

bj

Just to be clear epee never was and never will be.

#5 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Are you one of those inner circle people trying to put me off the scent;)

#6 ziggy

ziggy

• Regulars
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:48 AM

Are you one of those inner circle people trying to put me off the scent;)

Looks like it perhaps, although there is always a fair few people that seem to know things way before the vast majority of others do.

But to say there never will be is quite damning.And may indicate there is nowt in the pipeline regarding epoch.

I'd also just like to add,just incase i get asked, no am not in any of those aforementioned circles.Nor do i know of any leaks/developments/oil.

#7 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

Looks like it perhaps, although there is always a fair few people that seem to know things way before the vast majority of others do.

But to say there never will be is quite damning.And may indicate there is nowt in the pipeline regarding epoch.

I'd also just like to add,just incase i get asked, no am not in any of those aforementioned circles.Nor do i know of any leaks/developments/oil.

the very people post on the forum every week, but whether they choose to let any of the new layout out is down to them.

#8 matrix2021

matrix2021

• New Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:09 AM

I've been around since... god knows when, and lost track with the numerous disagreements that have occurred. However, the one thing I never understood with the leaks and possibility of epee existing, is why was/is it kept from the masses? Was 9.4 ever going to be released eventually, or was it going to be kept for the inner circle? If so, why? Are the developers/layout designers/ROM collectors sick of the lack of thanks or gratitude for their hard work? Whatever the reasons, I'd like to think its for the right ones. Either way, I'm also very grateful for all the hard work that has gone into the creation of the emulators and games, it's been a great ride so far.

#9 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

However, the one thing I never understood with the leaks and possibility of epee existing, is why was/is it kept from the masses?

I wasnt kept from the masses. I was W.I.P'd. Work In Progress. It showed a hitachi H8 core running some code, in itself a decent achievment. If they wanted to "keep it from the masses" why even mention it at all?

Once you have a cpu core you then have to emulate the rest of the board. Take FMEF for instance, how many times have I posted that its 'nearly there', not to carrot dangle or wind people up, but I genuinely thought it was close. The main core is a major part, but in terms of an overall emulation its the tip of the iceberg.

EPOCH as a tech is hideously overcomplicated, the H8 core alone has a 500 page technical manual, the 6809 (mpu4 -fmef) is a mere 20 or so pages.

Then you have to emulate every other chip on the board, get round the again hideously overcomplicated security, put in an editor that wors for the tech as well as the public use thereof. And also remember that no-one gets paid to write these emu's and give thm to people so with real life 'getting in the way' I would expect it to be a good few years before its ready to even consider releasing as a working emulator. Once that period has come and gone you could then possibly legitimatey say its being withheld from the public.

Upto that point even if it got released it either wouldnt work or 99% of people wouldnt be able to use it.

It got WIP'd and everyone jumped on the bandwagon of asking where it is. Same happened to me with FMEF. My first post saying I was going to try it on the mecca was met with a response of "oh, its only a wip thread, I thought it was a working emu wth andy capp demo".

And numerous other responses telling me I couldn't do it. The same posters are now strangely quiet.

There is no doubt in my mind that EPEE exists. BUT if you equate EPEE with working epoch emulator then I would think you are mistaken.

Very few people want to put the time, energy, effort, learning and skill into writing the emulators, but those same people who don't are the first to piss on the bonfire of anyone who tries.

FMEF was /is open source and so far NOT ONE person has asked to help, and only 2 people iirc have asked to see the code (which I did indeed send them).

I'd like to point out, this isnt me getting on a "I've written an emu and you haven't" pedestal but just a mere observation of the way things go down in this scene. I'll PUT £50 down now that within the next 10 years we see a working epoch emulator. Just a matter of waiting.

And if you think you can do it better or quicker, by all means please try, if you look hard enough you'll find everything you need.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#10 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

Chris has been an utter gent through all this

He is extremely talented, he has answered a few very helpfull questions from myself about MPU4 to get FMEF off the ground, he wrote MFME and sparked the scene into life, and I can't and won't deny any of that. Credit where credit is due.

But no he hasnt been an "utter gent" throughout everything. Some of the things he has done have been downright nasty and spitefull.

There are two sides to every story, and its well worth the read.

#11 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

You really have to seperate EPEE the emulator and EPEE the f*****g awful debarcle that was caused by one man trying to hold the scene by the balls.

Tutton tried to use DT's emulator for his own ends. He hoodwinked a whole scene into believing it was something it was not. I started a thread at FF carefully listing his contradictions which eventually saw some old standing members with egg on thier faces and altered FF considerably.

Recently the whole truth regarding EPEE came to light and in a nutshell it was basically AT 'bullying' the coder into running the thing his way so he could be the centre of attention. All in all it proved again what a total liar AT is.

#12 ritdav

ritdav

• Regulars
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:37 PM

Yep .Maybe one day someone will make an epoch emulator/put it out into the public domain.One thing you can be 100% sure of it will have nothing to do with epee.

#13 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

Yep .Maybe one day someone will make an epoch emulator/put it out into the public domain.One thing you can be 100% sure of it will have nothing to do with epee.

I dunno, it might have something to do with this ;)
Epee Engine

#14 Yan

Yan

• New Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Recently the whole truth regarding EPEE came to light and in a nutshell it was basically AT 'bullying' the coder into running the thing his way so he could be the centre of attention. All in all it proved again what a total liar AT is.

Where can this be read?

#15 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Where can this be read?

It was in an IRC channel. :huh:

#16 ritdav

ritdav

• Regulars
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

I dunno, it might have something to do with this ;)
Epee Engine

lol lol

#17 DialTone

DialTone

• New Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Just to be clear, epee absolutely was, but never will be. << fixed that for you ;)

Trust me - I know these things ;)

Edit: Reply got cut off, was going to say to Guitar: you have a very shrewd overview of the whole picture, and quite spot on I believe. Chris was far from "being a gent" in much of what went on, although credit is due where due. Also, your assessment of epee/epoch is spot on. As to an emulator appearing, time will tell I guess, but as you've correctly surmised, it's not straightforward unfortunately :( At least there's no security issues preventing emulation (that I know) - which is more than can be said for the current techs in use.

DT

#18 mart1711

mart1711

• Regulars
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

If there is no current emulator it is just a matter or when not if there is going to be one. At the moment time and knowledge may restrain people from working on such a project but technology moves on and on at an astounding rate. The work that may be done today by an accomplised coder/programmer will be tommorows easy work for a have-a-go student. Ill have a play around when it arrives, if it does'nt, im not bothered. I think no matter how much into the scene you are you inevitibly realise most actions of the emulator, while great fun at the time, are quite "faddish". Hence the reason for no real apparent crackdown from manufacturers. For me anyway its been a great means of seeing what i played in the pub and saying "oh thats good", rather than a tool for trying to establish flaws in current machines to manipulate them to earn a living. Good old fme, has its place in my heart and long may it continue, but stripped down to its bones its not lifechanging and i have never felt the desire whatsoever to get heatedup over the "politics" of the scene.

#19 Nemmie

Nemmie

• New Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

You really have to seperate EPEE the emulator and EPEE the f*****g awful debarcle that was caused by one man trying to hold the scene by the balls.

Tutton tried to use DT's emulator for his own ends. He hoodwinked a whole scene into believing it was something it was not. I started a thread at FF carefully listing his contradictions which eventually saw some old standing members with egg on thier faces and altered FF considerably.

Ah so now EPEE exists?

Well that contradicts everything you have said for the last x amount of years.:err:

Of course you couldn't resist having yet another obsessive pointless poke, I thought you would have realised that nobody cares about your obsession anymore. Most people here don't even have a clue what you are talking about and I am sure they care even less.

I know I have said this before but I keep hoping that one day you will listen. Let it go before the men in the white coats come to take you away.
:wacko:

#20 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Ah so now EPEE exists?

Not a Tutton coded one does not because the truth came out. He never coded a line like we all knew. All he did was bully the coder into doing things his way so he could be the centre of attention.

We all knew DT's 'EPEE' existed because he posted about it as Guitar pointed out in one of the masterclass threads. Remember it was this bollock that Guitar pointed out to AT that spilled the beans IIRC.

Well that contradicts everything you have said for the last x amount of years.:err:

Nope it does not so that is how much you can understand the written word.

Of course you couldn't resist having yet another obsessive pointless poke.

Like you could not resist posting here 'following me around the internet' to show yourself up as a total cock again. What are we after here another padlock so the great man's name does not get tarnished a bit more?

I thought you would have realised that nobody cares about your obsession anymore. Most people here don't even have a clue what you are talking about and I am sure they care even less.

Nemmie posting at Fruit -Emu??? I thought you would have realised that nobody cares about your obsession anymore. Most people here don't even have a clue what you are talking about and I am sure they care even less.

I know I have said this before but I keep hoping that one day you will listen. Let it go before the men in the white coats come to take you away.
:wacko:

I know I have said this before and I hope one day you will listen. The bloke you are arse licking is nothing but a total muppet who has f***ed over this scene more than anyone else. How can you not see this? Everyne is laughing at you. Go on read the EPEE contradiction threads you will see now how all I said has come true. Amazing really.

However keep coming here and keep posting your misguided ideas on how things are..... you are just getting higher and higher up the 'laughing stock' ladder. :biglaugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users