#1 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:04 AM

Hi all,

Have just got this machine for myself, and have heard it runs using "Flashcard technology" which is inherently problematic on site.

Two questions.

1) Is it likely to give me a load of jip and keep going wrong.

2) If it DOES go wrong, whats it likely to be that goes wrong?

Cheers!

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hi all,

Have just got this machine for myself, and have heard it runs using "Flashcard technology" which is inherently problematic on site.

Two questions.

1) Is it likely to give me a load of jip and keep going wrong.

2) If it DOES go wrong, whats it likely to be that goes wrong?

Cheers!

If, as I suspect, this is Epoch, then yes it is an inherently unreliable tech.

Easy to fix though, it will usually be:
a. The PSU
b. The MPU (usually leaked battery....)
c. A burnt connector.

#3 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

Those faults being the case then, would it be a good idea to replace the battery on the MPU when I first get the machine? If so, what type of battery would it be?

Thanks!

#4 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Those faults being the case then, would it be a good idea to replace the battery on the MPU when I first get the machine? If so, what type of battery would it be?

Thanks!

If there is any sign of leakage then yes - otherwise keep a very close eye on it, keep it in a place where the temperature does not fluctuate too much, and keep it charged.

(Oh, and I do sell the batteries on Ebay.) :D

#5 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

if it uses flashcard tech then it will be eclipse tech and not epoch.

biggest problem with that tech is if the mpu goes down then you need a new mpu and a new program as the the flashcard doesn't stay in the machine,it just loads it into the chips on the mpu.

baz

#6 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

the problems given by the other ebay seller are merely worst case scenarios to make you buy from them.

£75+ for a £35 jackpot machine is good value to anybody.

#7 spa

spa

Layout Designer

• Moderators
  • 2494 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

the problems given by the other ebay seller are merely worst case scenarios to make you buy from them.

£75+ for a £35 jackpot machine is good value to anybody.

Indeed.

Real tempted to grab one of the £35 reds (even sticking noties in them now).

http://www.youtube.com/FruitVideos - My youtube channel

https://drive.google...R3ZTMTBIQTdwWUU- My Drive

#8 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Nails, appreciate your reassurance :-)

And Spa, yeah, at £75, they are a snip! Especially since most of them come with free note acceptors now.

£139 all in was mine, including the machine, note acceptor, and delivery (which includes the delivery man hulking it up a flight of stairs - though i'll give him ten quid for doing that).

Eagerly awaiting delivery!

#9 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Nails, appreciate your reassurance :-)

And Spa, yeah, at £75, they are a snip! Especially since most of them come with free note acceptors now.

£139 all in was mine, including the machine, note acceptor, and delivery (which includes the delivery man hulking it up a flight of stairs - though i'll give him ten quid for doing that).

Eagerly awaiting delivery!

That is damn good value, especially for that level of service; especially if it is Eclipse.
Eclipse has a lithium battery rather than a potentially leaky nimh - much better for that reason alone. Not seen too many problems with Eclipse either, so far anyway!

#10 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Excellent :-)

I'm just awaiting the seller on eBay to get in contact with me so I can arrange to pay. I don't want to use PayPal because there is a LOT of bad press about them. I'd rather phone up with my debit card and know its been done there and then, rather than arsing about with PayPal, then wondering if they will put a temporary hold on the payment (I've had it happen numerous times before).

Hopefully he'll get my message tomorrow and ring me :-D

#11 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

the £35 machines are being sold cheaper than rival £25 ones!

#12 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

Excellent :-)

I'm just awaiting the seller on eBay to get in contact with me so I can arrange to pay. I don't want to use PayPal because there is a LOT of bad press about them. I'd rather phone up with my debit card and know its been done there and then, rather than arsing about with PayPal, then wondering if they will put a temporary hold on the payment (I've had it happen numerous times before).

Hopefully he'll get my message tomorrow and ring me :-D

Whilst I personally hate Paypal, I does give you a certain level of protection that paying directly with a debit card will not.
If you have had Paypal delay payments before, it's probably because you need to update info within your account, provide more information or register a card on the account (for "verification purposes" or some such).

#13 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

Oops, just realised he'd already got into contact with me by E-mail and my registered ebay email account was Gmail (which I never check!). Have now changed it to my Hotmail account which I DO check!

This chap says he does cash on delivery, so I think I will go down that route :-) That way I can get my machine and hand over the cash there and then. Perfect!

#14 roderz

roderz

<--+-->

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

The eclipse tech aint too bad when working ok, only really one thing to go wrong - the mpu!
the psu box just has a transformer inside - nowt else

main issue is the battery going flat and giving ram reset on boot up - easy enough to replace, (or could be of dodgy batch that had wrong value ZD next to battery)

or machine taking 15 mins to boot up - regulation or cap on mpu - symtons are very low power to reels at start up then if left gives meter error - once at meter error it should then boot ok if pluged

the game program is actually stored on the small board that the flash card is inserted into, it's got flash eeproms soldered on the under side - so this can be transferred to another board if needed, without having to reload the game software.

#15 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

the game program is actually stored on the small board that the flash card is inserted into, it's got flash eeproms soldered on the under side - so this can be transferred to another board if needed, without having to reload the game software.

correct!

my info was wrong regarding the program problem but i took one apart today and its just unscrewed from one board to another.

baz

#16 roderz

roderz

<--+-->

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

Had a few 'games cards' go faulty and cause dead board's where only the +V led is on and the 'running' led is off, 1st thing to swap in that situation if you have spares. (or make sure it's seated correctly if the nuts are missing)

#17 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Well, annoyingly, the seller has not responded to any of my e-mails, other than to send me an invoice (which I didn't specifically request anyway). Having sent three emails, each a day apart, and having no contact number for the company, I have decided to bid on the same machine from a different supplier. Shame because it will cost me an extra £55.

However, I bought the machine almost a week ago, and have had NO contact at all, so I am not at all confident in the company.

I'll see what happens with the next company!

#18 ziggy

ziggy

• Regulars
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:38 AM

The question youve gotta ask is why would someone be selling a machine that is worth over £500 trade price for only £75 ? Not only one of them though..... he's got about 20 at least and they are all the same machines, including reglasses ect.

Sounds slightly suspicious to me but maybe its a bargain, who knows.

#19 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:03 AM

Well, I bid on a second machine from someone else, fearing I wasn't going to hear from the original seller.

However, he's since got into contact, and I have cancelled my bid on the second item and am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He sounds decent enough on the phone, and is allowing cash on delivery, so I don't see what I've got to lose really.

It DOES seem a bit weird he has so many of them, but hey, we'll see what happens! Myabe there was an emptier on them, so all the sites wanted rid? If that was the case though, surely an update would be a better idea than getting rid of them?

Hmm.... Anyway, long as it all works properly, I'm not bothered!

#20 ziggy

ziggy

• Regulars
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 03:33 AM

He's got about 8 Billy The Quids.Ditto Warped, Money Magic, Bucks Bunny and Juggling Jackpots.And am sure last month he had a batch of Jackpots that rock and rolls.

Notice that they are all in the old Maygay style cabinets and not the Bellfruit type ones you tend to see in pubs ect.

I dont blame you for thinking your getting a bargain Sharpey, but i smell fish somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users