• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 11:30 AM

I already did my friend. When i went through ebay this morning not only did i email everyone who had bid for one of these Cds i also informed Customer services that the seller is selling something which is free to download from another site.

Last i check two had been removed from the auction and black marks against the sellers........

If your one of em be warned.... were gonna find ya !
N/A

#22 teebone

teebone

• New Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 01:48 PM

I would just like to say what an arrogant piece of shit f***#@#@#@# is !!!!! I think fruitymad 2003 is too much of a gentleman to say that so i thought i'd say it for him.
Good luck with the campaign which i totally agree with and keep up the good work all you EMU staff and designers

#23 thing50

thing50

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 03:33 PM

Instead of ruining your layouts with this message you had planned to incorporate why not persuade the designer of MFME etc to incorporate it into the emulators start up greeting?
I guess this would'nt work with current versions of the software but future versions could include some sort of messge?

#24 Guest_rhysdean_*

Guest_rhysdean_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:29 PM

A bit of a long one? Why dont someone place an auction explaining that they can download them for free, i bought one of the cds for £5 and i must admit was a bit pissed offb when i found your site (by searching for emulation not simulation), considering im on broadband and can download quickly I would be happy to download the layout and roms but might be apealing by someone with dial-up to just buy the cd. Or has anyone thought of offering to supply all layouts at cost price (cdr cost and p+p) or maybe a little extra to keep the site up and running. This would not only save bandwidth for newer layouts but would save people downloading the wrong size layouts :oops: (my cheap TFT only reaches 1024 x 768) :evil: oh well had my say anyway! cheers.

#25 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:50 PM

You know the shit thing about it all is I know someone over at Pound Run (LOL ;) ) who has been doing free FME CDs for about 2 years now. With this service you get all the layouts ever publically released and roms as well - minus the Empire roms. Six CDs in total now. I know he has done over 300 sets as well ;)

Use the force folks, ask around, read what is in front of you - it is all very easy really. :p

#26 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:26 PM

You know the shit thing about it all is I know someone over at Pound Run (LOL ;) ) who has been doing free FME CDs for about 2 years now. With this service you get all the layouts ever publically released and roms as well - minus the Empire roms. Six CDs in total now. I know he has done over 300 sets as well ;)

Use the force folks, ask around, read what is in front of you - it is all very easy really. :p

Who are you reffering to? Sounds like a jolly nice chap.
6CDs ?? wow, best I get myself an update :wink:

Pook

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572

Click to visit my site.

#27 Wozza

Wozza

Advanced Member

• Gold Supporters
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:37 PM

Stealing images from the Fruit-emu website and posting on ebay was a real stupid idea, sorry to the people that had this, but I am sure they don't mind!

e-bay Link
Wozza

#28 Closed - Adam

Closed - Adam

• New Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 10:43 PM

Why not password protect the Zip folder? Then, people can email the designers for the password?

#29 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 11:27 PM

This has been an ongoing battle for almost 2 years now, people have constantly emailed ebay to try and stop it, has it worked? well seeing as there are more FME CDs on ebay than ever before I guess the answer is no.

Although a noble gesture I don't beleive you'll ever be able to stop it so to be honest what is the point in getting stressed trying to. Locking layouts or having ugly disclaimers plastered over them isn't going to solve anything either.

A year ago I'd of totally agreed with all that's been said but I've seen it all before and now just think it's best to let them get on with it. I have no problem anymore if my work is sold as part of a compliation on ebay, it's hardly as if I own any copyright, as I used fruit machine companies copyrighted roms and artwork to create it in the first place. If people were editing my work and passing off as their own then that would be a different kettle of fish.

If you were new to this scene and wanted a complete collection of backdated releases then I'm sure many people would rather pay a fiver as opposed to spending hours downloading a full set. Let alone the ease of strain to sites bandwidth.

Best way to combat this is to actively promote the members of this scene who are prepared to send out sets for zero profit, perhaps an advert on this site would help and other members coming forward to offer this service also.

Food for thought anyways.

Pook

Click to visit my site.

#30 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 09:19 AM

A year ago I'd of totally agreed with all that's been said but I've seen it all before and now just think it's best to let them get on with it. I have no problem anymore if my work is sold as part of a compliation on ebay, it's hardly as if I own any copyright, as I used fruit machine companies copyrighted roms and artwork to create it in the first place. If people were editing my work and passing off as their own then that would be a different kettle of fish.

If you were new to this scene and wanted a complete collection of backdated releases then I'm sure many people would rather pay a fiver as opposed to spending hours downloading a full set. Let alone the ease of strain to sites bandwidth.

Best way to combat this is to actively promote the members of this scene who are prepared to send out sets for zero profit, perhaps an advert on this site would help and other members coming forward to offer this service also.

A voice of reason from someone who has infinitely more right to make the comment than most of the petty whiners on here, having both created many superb layouts and run a great website which was eventually closed down because of the huge bandwidth demands from people downloading layouts.

The fact is, these CDs do nobody any harm, and in fact greatly assist the FME scene by, as Pook notes, reducing the bandwidth demands on hard-pressed download sites. People's only objection to them is sheer mean-spirited spite at someone making an absolutely tiny amount of money for providing a useful service to both emu fans and FME website owners.

The people selling these CDs are doing MORE for FME than most of you moaning leeches, sitting around on your arses creating nothing and sucking up bandwidth without donating to the sites that pay for it. So save your tedious outrage, eh?

(BONUS QUESTION: Can anyone tell me which site this quote comes from?)

Please only download what you need as bandwidth is at a premium.

#31 Jez_Shaw

Jez_Shaw

• New Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 11:45 AM

The fact is, these CDs do nobody any harm, and in fact greatly assist the FME scene by, as Pook notes, reducing the bandwidth demands on hard-pressed download sites.

Whilst the fact that these CD's are not doing any harm is perfectly true, I think that the main drive of this thread is that people are making money out of other people's work. Yes, the layouts are free via various websites and obviously the layout designers are happy about that (thanks a lot guys), therefore should'nt these CDs be retailing at about £1 to £1.50 (i.e. the cost of the media + a small administration fee)?

Incidentally, I would like to point out that I had no idea that the emulation scene existed at all until I bought one of these CD's.

I also like Pook's point about the community distributing CD's. At £5 a disc (the usual selling price on eBay), there would be enough left over to contribute to the upkeep of the sites. When most downloads take 15-30 minutes on a 56k modem. I'm sure there will be members old and new who would happily purchase a disc or two rather than have to download (especially considering the size of the back catalogue).

As a footnote "f*kw*er", do you have to be so aggresive all the time? I appreciate that you have strong feelings about certain things and some of your views are much appreciated, but all you end up doing is rubbing people up the wrong way.

#32 closed

closed

• New Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 01:06 PM

Whilst the fact that these CD's are not doing any harm is perfectly true, I think that the main drive of this thread is that people are making money out of other people's work.

Yes, in other words, "mean-spirited spite". I mean, if someone's doing people and the FME scene a favour and hurting nobody, why would people begrudge them a piddly couple of quid profit? Why is that such a bad thing? Our entire economy is based on "making money out of other people's work".

Oh, and as for the tone, I think it was set by the original post - whining, illogical, hate-filled spite.

#33 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 01:24 PM

Whilst the fact that these CD's are not doing any harm is perfectly true, I think that the main drive of this thread is that people are making money out of other people's work. Yes, the layouts are free via various websites and obviously the layout designers are happy about that (thanks a lot guys), therefore should'nt these CDs be retailing at about £1 to £1.50 (i.e. the cost of the media + a small administration fee)?

I couldn't agree more mate. It's the fact that often the sellers are passing the discs off as their own work and charging a hell of a lot more than the 12p it costs for a CD-R and the postage. The service they provide is limited as the layouts they are providing are often quite old.

It pisses me off a little to see the disks for sale when members of the various forums could probably offer this service alot cheaper and with more up-to-date latyouts. To my knowledge only one person actually does, and for no profit at all - no money ever changing hands.

As a footnote "f*kw*er", do you have to be so aggresive all the time? I appreciate that you have strong feelings about certain things and some of your views are much appreciated, but all you end up doing is rubbing people up the wrong way.

He does it to get a reaction of course and often someone will 'bite'. In my experience people like this on forums are often best ignored as in real life. They'll soon get the message. "If you can't talk to me with respect then I ain't gonna listen"

p.s - Sorry for changing your avatar. Someone on an e-bay auction had linked to it to advertise their discs. I therefore changed the picture to something more tasteful!

#34 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 01:55 PM

If there were a set of sanctioned disc(s) produced by FME forum members and any proceeds ploughed back into the sites that keep FME alive then I would be the first to endorse this and would gladly allow any of my work on these discs.

I'm sure many other designers would feel the same, there are many talented people would could knock up good packaging for these also. Most stuff on ebay contains about 50 layouts and most are outdated or superceeded.

Stopping these people is near on impossible, beating them at their own game? now that's a different story.

Pook

Click to visit my site.

#35 handsome_rob

handsome_rob

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 02:54 PM

There is a way to achieve the impossible.

#36 lincs leisure R us

lincs leisure R us

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 09:52 PM

everybody seems to have a say reguarding this, now i think its my turn.
as i am a fully licenced operator. i would like to know in the defence of all the manufacturer's of the uk gaming industry, if these roms and layouts have been granted written permission from ALL the manufacturer's to use on fruit-emu and other sites alike?, i wonder.. i do think this comes under the copyright and infrindgment laws of both the artwork and software used. i am not taking anybody's side, but u complain about people selling c'ds to gain profit from free downloads but can u kindly explain as to why u supply free downloads bare in mind that arcadians and operator's like myself are geddin put out of buisness from sites like this and others.
the way i see it is people are selling cd's to recooperate the cost of cd's, i know some people are charging about £5 a copy but they are the 1's making a huge profit. and should be stopped not everybody is greedy and making huge profits out of it.

can u provide proof of written permission to use artwork and software ?

i also purchased cd's b4 i knew anything about this site so therefore i think i have everyright to sell copies as i did pay for my cd in the first place.thats if i was to sell them

please make any view's u wish.

#37 Jez_Shaw

Jez_Shaw

• New Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 December 2003 - 01:44 PM

bare in mind that arcadians and operator's like myself are geddin put out of buisness from sites like this and others.

I would have to disagree strongly with this comment for the following reasons:

1. As the vast majority of the machines hosted by this (and other) sites are over 5 years old how can it be affecting business in arcades where the machines are less than 3? The serious gamer will always want to play the latest games.

2. Emulation cannot replace the buzz you get from winning real cash from real machines. I still play the real fruit machines as much now as I did before I discovered emulation. I look on emulation as a way of enjoying those machines from my past which have now disappeared.

3. It is the latest crop of machines from the major players that is driving people away, not emulation. These latest machines have shite gameplay, which seem to be geared around taking your money as quickly as possible. They seem to be obsessed with big win streaks over a relatively short period of time and then pay nothing for the rest.

4. This is no comment on your business markus , as I have never visited it, but another reason people are deserting the arcades is the way that some operators 'doctor' the machines so that their payout is significantly less than that stated on the cabinet. It doesn't take a degree in mathematics to work out when you are being screwed by an unscrupulous operator - look at the fairgrounds!

When will manufacturers and operators realise that it's not how much money they take off people, but the way in which that money is obtained? Unless the manfacturers work this out, they are doomed. Bring back the heady days of the '80s and early '90s when machines were enjoyable to play, and it didn't matter that you had lost £10 or £20 so long as you had had a good time losing it.

#38 Closed - Adam

Closed - Adam

• New Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:27 AM

Even better do this ........

Subj: Fruit Machine Cds.. Must Have
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 3:48:22 pm GMT
To: weborder@dragoninfomart.fsnet.co.uk

I am interested in one of your Cd's however, They are free to download from respectable web sites so why do you charge for the discs ?

To make it leagal i have submitted your site and its details to the respectde companys from which you have emulated and will let them sort it out.

Im sure they will be interested to know that you are charging for something they offer for free. Maybe they will even demand the money recieved from this offer after all you dont seem to have permission from these retail companies so they might do that.

Last chance, Either stop selling these rubbish disc's and remove your site or let it be dealt with by a higher power.

Your Choice.

Whos this twat?

#39 Closed - Adam

Closed - Adam

• New Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:41 AM

Layout designers are Stealing Work from the Manufactures! Why are you getting the hump about it!? You shouldnt have an emulator nor should you be using thire games.

If you sell them on CD, thats up to you! the Manufactures are the only people who should take action. Get the facts! Email Barcrest, JPM and so on.

#40 lincs leisure R us

lincs leisure R us

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 December 2003 - 12:46 AM

Layout designers are Stealing Work from the Manufactures! Why are you getting the hump about it!? You shouldnt have an emulator nor should you be using thire games.

If you sell them on CD, thats up to you! the Manufactures are the only people who should take action. Get the facts! Email Barcrest, JPM and so on.

don't be a total prick adam

i know the gaming law much much more than u

so y are u moaning about people selling cd's then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users