• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

Just wondering what you guys think of the impending release of Vista on 30th Jan...how many of youse will be switching to Vista or sticking with XP..Im not sure what to do I kinda like the whole new look of Vista but im thinking there will be far too many driver issues etc..and Im so used to XP dunno if I want to change.

Whats your views on it ? Does it suck big time or not.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#2 johnjohn

johnjohn

• New Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

dont it just drive you mad the stuff that worked on xp dont work on vista? (like going from 98 to xp, ok so i skipped win 2000) best advice is which i find is run xp till u cant anymore that way all your stuff still works and by then they would have sorted out all the flaws( well some of them) and to answer a ? with a ?

which one explorer 6 or 7?
lol

and saying firefox dont count

#3 MrBen

MrBen

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:01 PM

To answer both, I am one of the fortunates to meet vista before killing my own pc.

I am going to leave it a few years to settle down before I consider the transfer over. And as far as IE7 goes. I like it much more for the tabbed browsing and is not too buggy but depends on what XP edition you are running.

#4 highlander317

highlander317

• Regulars
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:43 AM

Can give people a site where they can download add ons for vista style bits for xp. Think they also have some versions of xp too but not sure. Ill post here if im allowed to?
This site also jiggers around with all os to make them smaller and faster well worth a look.(you have to register)

Someone let me know if i can post it here

#5 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:32 AM

its bloated crap at the moment to say the least. It has the makins of a decent OS but its just not worth it yet. The fact that microsoft are already planning the first service pack for it tells you its not in good condition yet. But giev it time...say a year or so and it will probably be worthwhile.

At the end of the day XP works and works pretty well, so if it aint broke, dont try to fix it

#6 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

Can give people a site where they can download add ons for vista style bits for xp. Think they also have some versions of xp too but not sure. Ill post here if im allowed to?
This site also jiggers around with all os to make them smaller and faster well worth a look.(you have to register)

Someone let me know if i can post it here

Sounds interesting yet at the same time ominous..I remember downloading one of these Vista transformation packs and worked ok for about an hour..then my PC came oot the closet and announced its true sexuality.

Couldnt get it back to being hetrosexual so i ended up formatting the fooker.

#7 highlander317

highlander317

• Regulars
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

You could always try using microsoft virtual pc and install a different os on that. Nice and easy software to use and you dont F**K up or play around with your existing setup. and its free yes free from microsoft lol good old Bill

#8 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

You could always try using microsoft virtual pc and install a different os on that. Nice and easy software to use and you dont F**K up or play around with your existing setup. and its free yes free from microsoft lol good old Bill

Good god alive why in gods would you want to even attempt that it needs a minimum of 512mb or the install won't start meaning you'd need atleast 1.5-2gb of ram to even consider it if it did run it would be running an emulated pc on an abacus.

#9 highlander317

highlander317

• Regulars
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

ive never had any trouble with it. Only use it to try out new software on tiny xp. Ive 1Gb ram no probs at all

#10 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:03 PM

ive never had any trouble with it. Only use it to try out new software on tiny xp. Ive 1Gb ram no probs at all

No probs at all until you dump vista on one of the virtual partitions then accidently leave your win2003 ent image running at the same time as the Vista then your little 1gb of memory goes pop.

I've got vista buisness upgrade - installed it on a dell optiplex sx280 with 512mb of memory - it killed it. Thats before trying to run any applications - Vista is a resource hungry shite pile - as mentioned previously it has the makings of a good OS but at this stage avoid it like the plague !

#11 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

No probs at all until you dump vista on one of the virtual partitions then accidently leave your win2003 ent image running at the same time as the Vista then your little 1gb of memory goes pop.

I've got vista buisness upgrade - installed it on a dell optiplex sx280 with 512mb of memory - it killed it. Thats before trying to run any applications - Vista is a resource hungry shite pile - as mentioned previously it has the makings of a good OS but at this stage avoid it like the plague !

Lets play devils on this, would you attempt to run XP on a 286? No then why attempt to run an OS that has the minimum system requirements of a game unless you just want to try it go ahead but personally when I install XP straight away I classic mode the f***er sadly, with Vista (I tried a beta) classic mode is Tellytubby land XP the words f*** and off came to mind.......

#12 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:15 AM

Couldnt agree more. why install anything that you only just meet the base requirements for.

The most horrible thing about vista is not the fact that the base will just run on 512mb but if you want the snazzy aero features (which is pretty much the only reason we all went Woo when we first saw it) you need 1gb and at least a 128mb graphics card - Yeah if your a gamer this isnt a big problem but many resellers (pc world being one of them) are shipping machines Vista ready without 128mb cards so you can only use the base level of it.

Now where is the point in that ?
Secondly who the f*** buys a pc from pc world...

#13 soccerboy19

soccerboy19

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

dont it just drive you mad the stuff that worked on xp dont work on vista? (like going from 98 to xp, ok so i skipped win 2000) best advice is which i find is run xp till u cant anymore

did u know that windows xp runs win95, 98, ME programs and games?

#14 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

Helppppp...Just installed Vista and it turned my tower into an empty cornflakes box.

Any ideas ?

#15 johnjohn

johnjohn

• New Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:49 PM

just add milk and sugar

#16 djcr

djcr

Confused drunk

• New Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:03 AM

And cornflakes lol
Thank god i'm an atheist....

#17 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:46 AM

Helppppp...Just installed Vista and it turned my tower into an empty cornflakes box.

Any ideas ?

Put your xp boot disk in and when prompted you want the option that says "Sorry i didnt mean to try something else" then hope it forgives you and restores your operating system. If all else fails put your 3 dos disks in and then the 3 windows 3.11 disks in and remember how it all started.

#18 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

F***them both, get a mini mac intel duo 2, install parallels, wack on a copy of Vista and XP then choose what you want,

Small, Compact, Quieter, Easy to use, Shit Fast and wont upset the wife as she can still use Yahoo Chat or Make up your own Face!!!!!

Cum on guys, lets put gates where he should be........in the bin.!!!! Get macs you sad load of pumpkins. you know they are the bol***ks your just afraid to use one...

Love ya G xx
Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------

"Yippee Ki Ya Kimasabi"..

#19 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

F***them both, get a mini mac intel duo 2, install parallels, wack on a copy of Vista and XP then choose what you want,

Small, Compact, Quieter, Easy to use, Shit Fast and wont upset the wife as she can still use Yahoo Chat or Make up your own Face!!!!!

Cum on guys, lets put gates where he should be........in the bin.!!!! Get macs you sad load of pumpkins. you know they are the bol***ks your just afraid to use one...

Love ya G xx

Step away from the crack pipe.............

#20 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

screw macs (ironic looking at my name i know!), anyone who nicks my right mouse button needs killing!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users