• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbob219

Jimbob219

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

I know it's a bit on the random side but I was just wondering what phones people here have, I am hopefully getting a new phone on Saturday (which will be the 28th I think), I hope to get the samsung E350, seen some pics of it and it looks so good!!

Jimbob

#2 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

what kinda money you looking to spend on a phone fella.

Currently I have a Nokia 7650i, Ericsson t68, SE S700i, samsung D600

One im generally using is the SE W800i which i absolutely love, got about 6 albums on it at the mo so its handy as an mp3 player when im at the gym

#3 Jimbob219

Jimbob219

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

The D600 sounds good, been looking at it but I can only see one that is on contract, I currently have a good deal going with E350 where I get £50 free credit if I pay this much more, I will be trading in my new phone which is the E600 to hopefully get it cheaper or my dad (who is paying for the phone) will pay full price and sell my current phone but I do like the sound of the D600 any ideas how much you'd accept?

Jimbob

#4 Pgamblin

Pgamblin

Old but still not as old as Ady

• Regulars
  • 1382 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

Got a O2 xdaiis from work, which is more usefull to play with the genesis emulator on.

i do have a nokia 6310i which is supurb as it did fit my in car hands free kit - until i wrote my car off two weeks ago.

Looking for a new phone for the mrs soon, she wants a camera phone etc. i'll find some cheapy knocking around i'm sure.

#5 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

I'm currently using a Sony Ericsson W550i. Kinda like a walkman, but with 256mb memory. Still, I think thats more than enough considering the walk to and from work only takes about 40 mins in total :)

I reckon I got a reasonable deal considering my usage, on O2, through Dial A Phone.

12 month contract, £30 per month, 1/2 price line rental (by redemption) for 12 months.

Phone started playing up after a month, called them and within a couple of days I had a brand new boxed handset and all accessories, so can't really fault Dial A Phone. Also got £10 in my bank account after my first month of being connected.

Assuming the 1/2 price line rental thing goes into my bank account (which I reckon it will after I have a nice chat with them :)), then it works out at £170 for the length of the contract (12 months at £15 - £10 bonus).
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#6 Jimbob219

Jimbob219

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

Got a O2 xdaiis from work, which is more usefull to play with the genesis emulator on.

i do have a nokia 6310i which is supurb as it did fit my in car hands free kit - until i wrote my car off two weeks ago.

Looking for a new phone for the mrs soon, she wants a camera phone etc. i'll find some cheapy knocking around i'm sure.

ROFL, have a look in the argos catalogue,. some cheapys in there :)

Oh and is it better to have a phone on contract or pay for the phone in one go, cos I was thinking that contract was when you only pay for the bill you've got, but someone told me you get a set amount you pay and if you go over that you have to pay what's over it, but if you go under the amount you still have to pay full price?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Jimbob

#7 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:10 PM

ROFL, have a look in the argos catalogue,. some cheapys in there :)

Oh and is it better to have a phone on contract or pay for the phone in one go, cos I was thinking that contract was when you only pay for the bill you've got, but someone told me you get a set amount you pay and if you go over that you have to pay what's over it, but if you go under the amount you still have to pay full price?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Jimbob

Several ways it works. Basically on a contract you pay upfront for a certain amount of stuff. I pay £30 per month for 200 any network any time calls, and 100 texts. I get the handset for 'free'. If I use 20 minutes out of my 200, then 180 minutes 'roll over' to my next month, so I pay £30 for the 20 minutes I used, but for next months £30 I get 380 minutes. I currently have about 395 minutes to use this month - thats how often I use the phone ;)

If you go OVER the amount, say I used 250 minutes, and I am on a 200 minute tariff, then the extra 50 minutes are chargable depending on which 'tariff' you are on. If the extra 50 minutes are used calling mobiles on networks other than your own, you can easily pay up to 50p per minute - so that extra 50 mins can cost an extra £25 ontop of your tariff.

By the way, I think you may have to go through some kind of credit scoring when you take out a contract phone - you typically also have to have a credit card and a direct debit facility, so don't expect a contract phone if you are under 18 :)
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#8 Jimbob219

Jimbob219

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 358 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Ok, thanks Ben I'll bear it in mind :)

Jimbob

#9 highlander317

highlander317

• Regulars
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

I have just upgraded to a SE K750i great little phone did have a SE W550i but didnt think it would last with the way it opens up. The K750i is a neat little phone not too different from the T610/630 plenty of stuff on it 2mega pixel cam 32 mb internal memory and i got a 64 mb card with it. Currently on O2 online due to the extra texts they give you. £30 gives me 200 anytime anyone minutes and 500 texts and 1mb wap. changed to a 18 month contract and they give you 50% extra so now i get 300 mins and 750 texts for £30 quite happy with that as i generally use the texts and at 10p each im saving in the long run. Type in mobile phone reviews in google and see what others think about phones found one site that was very helpful email me if you want the address of the site

#10 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:19 PM

alll depends on your usage of the phone as to whether your suited to contract or pay as you go.

Roughly how much are you topping up each month on your phone, how many calls do you make each day and how many texts (just an average will do)

As for phones, if you go on contract then obviously the phone is invariably free so you could get the D600 (nice phone but a bit girly if you ask me hence why i gave it to the missus) Pgamblin your missus would love the D600, i know mine did.

I used to work in mobile phone shops so gimme a bit of info and i'll try and give you an idea of what to go for.

If your under 18 then yeah you will need to have the contract registered by your dad

Main advantage of going for the W800 over the K750 is that it comes with a 512mb memory stick and it function a bit more like an mp3 player, otherwise identical. Oh and the 1800 comes in a white colour which looks quite funky. K750 comes in the classic black...but does look mighty tasty.

#11 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

The phone is invariably 'free', but the quality of phone affects the quality of the discount on 'line rental'.

If you want a phone with an actual RRP of say £400, be prepared to be paying more for your line rental, than if you get a cheapo Walkman phone like me. I get a 12 month contract, 12 month 1/2 price line rental. If you go for a seriously good (or rather, seriously expensive) handset, although you don't pay for it directly you will be paying more in line rental to compensate.

I may not use the phone often, but took out a contract because I hate topping up my phone. If I get in an emergency situation of some sort I don't want to have to find a debit card to top up my phone with. Also with my family being on different networks (Dad on 3, Mum on Orange, Me on O2, Sis on Virgin) I save a fair bit of cash because X-net calls on PAYG are typically about 40p per minute.
Ben

#12 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

aye it can do ben but you can get just about any phone free on a tariff of £30 and above.

However many companies will do all sorts of deals just to get business.

For instance the Samsung D600 was free on a contract with BT mobile thats 1/2 price first 6 months

£15 for six months, then up to £30

the ericsson w800 is on o2's leisure time plan and only costing £20 a month

#13 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

DABS were running a deal (no doubt through Dial A Phone or one of it's subsidiaries) where you got a contract on a V3 and you got a 'free' PSP :p

Doesn't take a genius to see that the PSP (of £179.99) value was paid for somewhere along the lines...
Ben

#14 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

Here it is :

Posted Image FREE SONY PSP - (WORTH £179.99!)
X
Free Sony PSP - (Worth £179.99!)

With this amazing offer you will also receive a Sony PSP absolutely free!

Your FREE PSP will be despatched within 28 days of your connection.

Posted Image 1/2 PRICE LINE RENTAL FOR 7 MONTHS (DISCOUNT WORTH £105!)
X
1/2 PRICE LINE RENTAL FOR 7 MONTHS!

For 7 months of your contract line rental is 1/2 price! (Thereafter £30 per month). That's a saving of £105!

Your £105 saving is available by redemption into your airtime account in 3 stages, £45 at month 3, £45 at month 6 and £15 at month 9.

Posted Image Motorola RAZR V3 FREE - now available in black!
X
Your Phone is the BRAND NEW Quad-band Motorola Razr V3, now available in black!

Available today FREE!

With its illuminated nickel-plated metal keypad, anodized aluminium case and measuring just 14mm front to back the Motorola Razr V3 is the sleekest mobile phone around!

Your Motorola Razr V3 is crammed full of advanced features. Download and play MPEG4 video clips. Take digital quality photos using the integrated VGA camera and share via MMS or Bluetooth.

Additional features include: Twin screen colour display, Bluetooth connectivity, built-in speakerphone, MP3 and polyphonic ringtones, ringtone composer, WAP over GPRS and Java.
Find out more about this phone by clicking here

Posted Image 200 Any Network Anytime Minutes per Month
X
Every month you will be able to make up to 200 inclusive any network minutes of Anytime voice calls to standard UK landlines (starting 01 or 02), other UK Mobiles & Voicemail – worth up to £960 per year.

Call charges start at 10p per minute at all times to standard UK landlines and other O2 mobiles.

Call charges to other UK networks are 40p at all times. SMS costs 12p per message.

All charges include VAT.
Click here to view tariff info

Posted Image 100 TEXT MESSAGES per month
X
100 TEXT MESSAGES

For the life of your contract you can send 100 text messages a month to any network, saving you £12 per month.

Posted Image ACCESSORIES
X
Accessories come FREE also. You will receive a Portable Hands-Free Kit, In Car Adaptor and In Car Holder!

Posted Image Next day delivery available (click for terms)
X
We provide you with FREE DELIVERY next working day if you order before 1pm.

ORDER DAY
EARLIEST DELIVERY
Monday-Friday
Next Day
Saturday-Sunday
Tuesday

Deliveries made anytime during the day are FREE.
Deliveries can also be arranged for AM only and on Saturdays before noon, for £5 extra. 90% of these will arrive before 10am and often with your normal daily post.
All deliveries are subject to availability.

Posted Image £30 per month line rental, minimum contract term 18 months
X
Payment by direct debit is mandatory.

Itemised billing is also included with this deal.

Posted Image Order more than one phone and save £20
X
Order more than one phone and for each extra phone you order you will receive a £20 cashback.

Once you have your phone you can also receive a £20 cashback every time you successfully Recommend a Friend.

Posted Image This offer is available until 31st January 2006

Note that you are getting line rental at £15 for 7 months, £30 for the remaining 11 months = £435. Compare that to my W550i which is a 12 month contract at £180 (£170 with the £10 bonus). Considering the V3 is now a far cheaper phone (about £100 on PAYG), you can see where the PSP is 'paid for' :)
Ben

#15 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

yip, we used to do all sorts o deals like that when i worked in phones. Tis also really interesting to see how much money a contract phone will make the company. Its just f*****g ridiculous.

On average a contract phone will make the company selling about £200! and thats after they have given you the free phone, free bluetooth and whatever else they feel like throwing in

#16 jay2

jay2

Boing Boing

• Regulars
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

Assuming the 1/2 price line rental thing goes into my bank

You should be ok.
Had two phones off dialaphone,12 months contract,400 any network mins and 100 texts per month,first 3 months half price,then 30 quid amonth thereafter.
AND after every 3 months i send both bills off to dialaphone(with 2 vouchers)and get the whole 3 months rental back into my bank account *2,you also get a letter and email to confirm they(dialaphone) have recieved your vouchers.
Takes about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks for your account to be credited.
Had no problems yet.
What shall i put here?

#17 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

only ones you have to watch out for are the 1/2 price rentals where the small rpint tells you they will give you vouchers back that can be used in redemption at their stores. The link did that a couple o years back and got tons of complaints

#18 jay2

jay2

Boing Boing

• Regulars
  • 706 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

only ones you have to watch out for are the 1/2 price rentals where the small rpint tells you they will give you vouchers back that can be used in redemption at their stores. The link did that a couple o years back and got tons of complaints

Would the redemption be cash Jim?or some crap they could'nt get rid of ;)
What shall i put here?

#19 Jimmy_mac

Jimmy_mac

Court Jester

• Regulars
  • 1649 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

Would the redemption be cash Jim?or some crap they could'nt get rid of ;)

redemption as in they give ya vouchers that can only be spent at the link so you have to buy whatever they have in the shop, in car chargers, cases, bluetooth headset etc

#20 fistandantilus

fistandantilus

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

One of my hates is mobile phones, I have one, but only seldom use it on certain occasions such as If I am travelling out of town for a period of time longer than a day or so.

I bought a second hand panasonic gd67 off ebay for about £15 about a year back. Colour screen, decent tunes, nothing daft I don't need such as a camara phone. Got a pay-as-you-go sim.

So far it has cost me about £15 to use this last 12 months. I got along fine without one 10 years ago, i don't see why I should pay a small fortune to have one now. Annoys the hell out of me when I see people completely emerged in their phones where ever they go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users