• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

Evening guys and gals...

I was watching TV about 5 minutes ago, then suddenly the screen went dark apart from a thin bright line down the middle, and an annoying buzzing sound. Then a strange TCP-like burning smell.

I think it's fair to say that my TV is f***ed. Will it be easy to repair (I've had it 7 years), or shall I just pop down to Curry's in the morning and buy a new one?

Stevedude2 :)
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#2 frankie4fingers

frankie4fingers

I need beer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

Go to curry's, and make sure its HD ready:)
Posted Image

#3 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

What's HD?
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#4 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:10 PM

yeah its the tube thats blown so its new tv time i'm afraid.

baz

#5 RB

RB

PISH Artist

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3342 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

Line output transformer has fried....it'll cost about the same to replace as getting a new one..go to asda and get a real deal on tv's... ;)
Cyberpunk:- alienated loner who lives on the edge of society in generally dystopic future where daily life is impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body.....Hmmmmm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:57 PM

its cheaper just to buy a new t.v they are cheap enough now.

stevedude a HD is a hard drive just like whats in your pc

#7 TheMission

TheMission

• New Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:05 PM

Modern electronics may be getting cheaper. There's a good reason: it's becoming cheap shit that doesn't last five minutes.

I'm supposedly (according to the chavs down the pub) a dinosaur 'cause I have a three year old Nokia 7650 which has just packed up. Cost me £150 new and lasted three years. Absolute shite.

My front room still entertains a 19 year old Mitsubishi Blue Diamond TV. It's on at the minute, and the picture quality is superb. It was expensive new, but it still bloody works.:)

#8 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

Evening guys and gals...

I was watching TV about 5 minutes ago, then suddenly the screen went dark apart from a thin bright line down the middle, and an annoying buzzing sound. Then a strange TCP-like burning smell.

I think it's fair to say that my TV is f***ed. Will it be easy to repair (I've had it 7 years), or shall I just pop down to Curry's in the morning and buy a new one?

Stevedude2 :)

Coming from someone that now works at Currys, HDTV is a kinda... well... 'semi' rip off.

I mean a 32" LCD panel with HDTV (by the way, HDTV is High Definition TV, not Hard Drive) - is going to cost about £999 [LG 32" we sell].

I'd personally get something like a 32" Sony Flat CRT, which we do for about £280, and keep that until they actually start broadcasting in HDTV. I know they say it is good to be future proof, but they only say that because they know damn well the LCD/Plasma prices are going to CRASH next year.

It is one thing to be future proof, it is another to buy a TV which does something which you can't even take advantage off.

By the way, thats kinda off the record. Thats my opinion, not that of DSG :)
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#9 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

its cheaper just to buy a new t.v they are cheap enough now.

stevedude a HD is a hard drive just like whats in your pc

Nope he means HD: High Definition ready, what that means it will have a special input for similar equipped items, such as sky HD and I think xbox 360's will have a HD output.

Andy
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://profile.mygam...trmad2004'></a>Posted Image</a><br /><br />Don't gamble with the Recession!

#10 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

Nope he means HD: High Definition ready, what that means it will have a special input for similar equipped items, such as sky HD and I think xbox 360's will have a HD output.

Andy

cheers andy for correcting me

#11 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

Modern electronics may be getting cheaper. There's a good reason: it's becoming cheap shit that doesn't last five minutes.

I'm supposedly (according to the chavs down the pub) a dinosaur 'cause I have a three year old Nokia 7650 which has just packed up. Cost me £150 new and lasted three years. Absolute shite.

My front room still entertains a 19 year old Mitsubishi Blue Diamond TV. It's on at the minute, and the picture quality is superb. It was expensive new, but it still bloody works.:)

I've got a 26 year old Philips microwave, and a 25 year old Sony Trinitron TV. Both funtion perfectly. I mean I'll probably grow a third nipple from the old microwave next week, but seriously - they DO NOT build them like they used to - at least not at an affordable price. You can still get superb quality electronics, but not from China/Taiwan/Indonesia.
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#12 dtrmad2004

dtrmad2004

Total

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1485 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:33 PM

I've got a 26 year old Philips microwave, and a 25 year old Sony Trinitron TV. Both funtion perfectly. I mean I'll probably grow a third nipple from the old microwave next week, but seriously - they DO NOT build them like they used to - at least not at an affordable price. You can still get superb quality electronics, but not from China/Taiwan/Indonesia.

To true Ben just look at ferguson tv's they used to be shit hot with the old tx range, now they arent the same, imo anything Ferg,Thompson,Phillips,Bush,Alba,Matsui oh and Compaks dvd players are just a waste of time, mum had one of those players given to her as a present, it lasted 2hrs then lost colour, the replacement lost its sound within the same time.

Andy
<a class='bbc_url' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://profile.mygam...trmad2004'></a>Posted Image</a><br /><br />Don't gamble with the Recession!

#13 Guest_madman_*

Guest_madman_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:18 AM

i got a hd tv 32 inch sony and its the bees knees in tv veiwing. especuially since i get all my tv progs in hd format now from newsgroups...all i need now is a blueray burner and dvds to the f***ers on cos they roll in about 10 gig per 1 hour

#14 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:20 AM

Evening guys and gals...

I had 15 years good service from my Phillips...but then, as happens...I put it on one morning, heard a fizzing noise, a pop, followed by a phospherous firework display...RIP Phillips.

Then my hi-fi completely disentegrated...next day.

Now I've replaced both for under £300. Couldn't believe how cheap it was.
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#15 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:58 AM

I got my Hi-Fi from Argos in the Clearance, Panasonic thing with a Subwoofer, 5CD changer, £90 [inc Staff Discount], and picked up my Toshiba [actual Toshiba, not rebranded Hitachi/Daewoo/Bush/Goodmans] 28" Flatscreen for about £140. It was 'cosmetically damaged', so has a tiny scratch at the top of the unit. That was from a 'catalogue returns' place. It was literally a case of the original purchaser receiving the TV, noticing the scratch, and returning it straight away. Got a guarantee on it so can't really complain :)
Ben

#16 sharpy2005

sharpy2005

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:44 PM

Microwaves have been out for 26 years?!

Thing is, when we buy a microwave from Tesco's or whatever for £22... Do we honestly expect them to last for years and years? You get what you pay for!

#17 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:07 PM

28" Flatscreen for about £140. It was 'cosmetically damaged', so has a tiny scratch at the top of the unit. That was from a 'catalogue returns' place. It was literally a case of the original purchaser receiving the TV, noticing the scratch, and returning it straight away. Got a guarantee on it so can't really complain :)

i got a bargain of a lifetime if i ever saw 1 from a carboot sale

i bought a kenwood 7 disc cd mini hi fi system with remote in excellent condition for £10 and yes it works perfectly and not even a mark on it.
the old couple that sold me it must of been on drugs or summin as they didn't have a clue as to the price, they said a tenner and i snapped there hands off quicker than a rotty....lmao

i then loaded it in me car and vanished like a bat outta hell...lol

#18 mikenoble

mikenoble

• New Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:53 PM

Coming from someone that now works at Currys, HDTV is a kinda... well... 'semi' rip off.

I mean a 32" LCD panel with HDTV (by the way, HDTV is High Definition TV, not Hard Drive) - is going to cost about £999 [LG 32" we sell].

I'd personally get something like a 32" Sony Flat CRT, which we do for about £280, and keep that until they actually start broadcasting in HDTV. I know they say it is good to be future proof, but they only say that because they know damn well the LCD/Plasma prices are going to CRASH next year.

It is one thing to be future proof, it is another to buy a TV which does something which you can't even take advantage off.

By the way, thats kinda off the record. Thats my opinion, not that of DSG :)

Bencrest why are LCD and Plasma tv's going to crash in prices?? I was thinking of buying one but if that is definately going to happen then i might as well wait!!

#19 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:25 PM

Bencrest why are LCD and Plasma tv's going to crash in prices?? I was thinking of buying one but if that is definately going to happen then i might as well wait!!

its like everything else when new items get released the price drops on old stock.

#20 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:46 PM

You can now get a 42" Plasma for under £900 on the High Street, and a DVD Recorder for under £65. Anyone else recall a couple of years back when DVD Recorders were £1000, Plasmas were upwards of £5000?

They are trying to get more people to take up HDTV and LCD/Plasma, with Telewest and Sky launching compatible services next year, and the Xbox 360 being HDTV compatible, so I think it is safe to assume that over the next year the prices will start to collapse.

I personally don't like Plasma. I mean for a start you can't tilt them past a certain angle or they die :) Also the resolution on them is lower than on an LCD. I think all of our Plasmas in our tiny little store [Matsui, Samsung, Panasonic] are something about 852x600, whereas most LCDs can handle at least 1024x768, and many 1280x1024.

That reminds me - surely 852x600 isn't high enough for HDTV? I don't think any of our Plasmas are HDTV compatible, and I don't remember seeing any that are at other stores... seems like a lot of cash for what is a bit 'dead-end'.

Given the choice I'd wait until HDTV LCD 32" TVs, from reasonable brands, reach about £600, which I think may well occur next Christmas (Currently our Sony/LCD 32"ers are about £999), and they improve the pixel response times. I noticed LOADS of ghosting on the England vs Argentina game in our store yesterday, on an £1000 LG 32" HDTV set, with a claimed pixel time of 8ms...
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users