The Great Smoking Debate!

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 moneymad martian

moneymad martian

• New Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:51 PM

Well, I looked after page four. Am lazy, so if there was a discussion, meh.

So arcade smoking will be banned. Pub, playing a bandit while half cut flicking your knackers while searching for your lighter, will be banned too. Hallelujah!!!

Seriously, isn't this a half arsed effort by Mr Flair? WOOOOOOOOOOH!!!

(that was a reference for the WWF fans amongst us, smoking lightbulbs, or exceedingly drunk, like me)

Isn't it astonishing though. You now get the tax back from betting, yet you can't kill yourself before you, erm, kill yourself. Or get the tax back.

The legislation will, if taken to its entirety, mean we can drink in a pub and smoke in a time capsule, to only be released after we are dead. However, mug old ladies on the way home.....you will die if you nick there bingo tickets....or worse.....you could be subject to their war stories!

Yet a £50 fine WILL BE APPLIED if you smoke in a bus shelter. FACT!

A joke this country is, A JOKE.

#2 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:24 PM

I would love to say it wouldn't be enforced that strongly, but then smokers will become an easy target, much in the way motorists are.

Still, I don't smoke anymore, and smoking in restaurants totally pisses me off. It annoys me in pubs, but then pubs wouldn't have that great smell were it not for years of tar built up in the ceiling :D
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#3 d0uga1

d0uga1

who put my name up there

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:45 AM

i think its totally outrageous that people (like me) who pay over the odds for a pack of smokes cannot burn away there money in public places anymore.

they may aswell just ban smoking altogether( but no if they do that then they lose out on shit loads of taxes).

i think that it should be upto the smoker when and where they smoke.
always on the scrounge for freebies.

#4 gary

gary

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:39 AM

Funny i was thinking of asking the anti smoking brigade and parliament to a little challenge...will they stand in a garage with a car running for just 1 hour..and i will happily stand in a garage with 200 smokers for 2 hours...last one alive wins...lol any takers??

#5 flyer

flyer

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:17 AM

rofl nice one gary
thanks flyer

#6 raverpat

raverpat

Retired punter of 16 years

• Regulars
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:16 AM

Smokers enjoy such ignorant bliss do they not.
Let's smash Partytime.

#7 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:17 AM

Great Topic, I was waiting for someone to post this debate. I myself am a smoker socially, I enjoy a ciggie in the pub with my beer, but thats where it stops. Occasionally I will smoke if i have had a bad day at work and can not stand people smoking in restaurants. Mixed reviews....

The government have not got the balls to place this ban, if it wa so serious they would just do it. But maybee they are counting there pennies and wondering how much income they will lose if people stop buying fags...

Another thing Why wait til 2008?? I feel sorry for the people who will become a victim before this deadline, why not impose it now.

I myself am against the idea. Restaurants, and Public Areas such as Shopping Areas Fine. No Prob. But pubs, clubs and Arcades where Smoking is socially accepted no!!!!!!!! If you dont want to die from Passive smoking, Dont work in a bar simple as that, your not forced too.

G
Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------

"Yippee Ki Ya Kimasabi"..

#8 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:16 AM

Ah, the age old smoking debate. I have always believed that if you want to do something, and it doesn't affect anyone else, then you should be absolutely free to do it. If smokers want to smoke, that's their choice. However, it should equally be my choice as a non smoker, to be able to go about my business without having to endure other people's smoke. Sadly though, this would mean that going down the pub would be out as pretty much all pubs (Weatherspoons excepted) allow smokers.

So, how about this for a proposal. The local council is allowed to grant two types of license to pubs, with or without smoking. It has to give out an equal number of each. That way everyone is catered for. I can enjoy a beer without coming home stinking of ciggies, and the smokers can enjoy their ciggies without offending those who do not wish to smoke. OK, this isn't a perfect plan, but I still think it is more workable than anything the government has come up with. The current bill, as far as I can see, will just lead to pubs not serving food any more.

Everyone's a winner...

#9 gary

gary

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:26 AM

Oh my God,i just had a nightmare,when all us smokers begin filling our new lungs to their full capacity with fresh air we will be depriving the anti smokers again, phew its ok ..we will be banned from breathing in most places thats a relief...its nice to look forward to chewing gum as a substitute though just spit that on the pavement people dont mind the germs from that and getting it stuck to them..hey its really not gonna be bad. he he

#10 NickYerPesos

NickYerPesos

OFFICIAL THREAD KILLER!!!

• Regulars
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:20 AM

hey gary, i couldnt agree more man.. .the government are sayin all this shit bout smokin, and "oh my god, you can kill people passivly" and they're going to issue fines for smoking in public places... ok then what about the diseases that are transmitted by SPITTING on the pavement, most of the time a full hock of Snot goes with it... Y arent fines issued for that, or even chewing gum... all these methods transmit diseases,pasive smokin only affects the 2nd person if they are in a passive smokin enviroment all the time... Therefore as a post said earlier, dont work in a pub or club if you dont want to get ill by passive smoking, its tht f***in simple people... unless you spend every hour down the pub and still dont smoke, then thats tough shit on you, but i dont see y us smokers should make up sacrisfises for non smokers who'd much rather leave their boogers
/chewing gum on the ground than passive smoke in the pub... f*** YOU...!!!

#11 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

hey gary, i couldnt agree more man.. .the government are sayin all this shit bout smokin, and "oh my god, you can kill people passivly" and they're going to issue fines for smoking in public places... ok then what about the diseases that are transmitted by SPITTING on the pavement, most of the time a full hock of Snot goes with it... Y arent fines issued for that, or even chewing gum... all these methods transmit diseases,pasive smokin only affects the 2nd person if they are in a passive smokin enviroment all the time... Therefore as a post said earlier, dont work in a pub or club if you dont want to get ill by passive smoking, its tht f***in simple people... unless you spend every hour down the pub and still dont smoke, then thats tough shit on you, but i dont see y us smokers should make up sacrisfises for non smokers who'd much rather leave their boogers
/chewing gum on the ground than passive smoke in the pub... f*** YOU...!!!

The majority of people I have seen that spit on the street are smokers, probably due to the extra saliva and the mucus that smoking creates, and the inability to handle this due to paralysed cilia? Also I'd assume that smokers were more likely to buy gum?

Go on, find some evidence to prove me wrong :)

I just don't see any relevance to... well... anything in your post nick, other than implying that all non-smokers spit on, and leave gum on, the pavement.
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#12 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:47 AM

I take it you don't like my idea then :-D...

#13 gary

gary

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 04:59 PM

Well said Nick,i am sure that the anti smoking politically correct brigade dont have brains capable of storing facts. industrial pollution/vehicle exhaust fumes/pesticides/food additives/drugs/alcohol and so on and so on kill more people per year than smoking or passive smoking...funny how knowledgeable they all act about smoking yet have no clue about the statistical facts..

they dont like my smoke in their face i may not like their music in my ears..should i ask that its banned after all its my ears that are being assaulted..i wonder how many anti smokers drive/fly/eat junk food/burn rubbish etc..basically if you smoke you are discriminated against yet its funny einstein smoked as did many humanitarian people in history, but i guess that were also stinking filthy people..by the way ..has anyone heard of people being shot with a fag...stabbed with a fag..mugged with a fag...run over with a fag..hmmmm dangerous bunch arent we..lol :rolleyes:

#14 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:06 PM

In the days when Einstein, for example, smoked, I think you'll find people actually thought that Tobacco was GOOD for them. Never heard of 'Smoke Craven A - For your throats sake!' for example?

In this day and age smoking IS become more antisocial, and with good reason. Your argument on Einstein is totally flawed :)

Also, your last line... I find that hilarious. The fact that cigarettes are proven to be at the forefront of preventable causes of premature death obviously doesn't wash with you. Still, you'll be dead before me, so I guess your generation of 'im 12 and i smoke innit and it doesnt hurt me or anyone else so you can all f*** off' will be long gone soon anyway.

In fact, listening to you makes me all the more appalled at the fact I ever smoked at all. I guess I owe you some thanks for that :)
Ben

#15 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

I just realised... it looks like I am the only non-smoker in here :)

Could prove very interesting, but try to send your Email bombs to me with a good gap between them, not all at once :)

Also, this thread is going off topic. Try to keep it on the topic of the whole 'should smoking in pubs/restaurants be banned?', rather than 'lets think of some very poor excuses as to why we can smoke!'

Also, a warning to people that want to join in, these debates typically get very heated. Try to keep everything within this thread. That means don't let the thread affect your opinions of other people in a detrimental way, don't post things from this thread into other threads, e.t.c... I've seen lots of problems caused by such behaviour on forums in the past!
Ben

#16 gary

gary

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

I have heard some tripe in my time but ben you really do win top prize..lol iwas told u reply to everything cos u know it all, well i guess if u can prove that i will be dead before you ... you must also be a medium...funny how ex smokers are the most whining lol..ok i know u will reply with some totally idiotic reply ..but i cant even be bothered to reply to it ... knock ya self out benny lol i am gonna get a fag and laugh at what u posted for a bit lololol

#17 raverpat

raverpat

Retired punter of 16 years

• Regulars
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

Never thought I would hear myself say this but I actually agree with Bencrest!!! Lets see how big and clever smoking is when they remove one of your lungs because of cancer. Oh but I forgot, you might get hit by a bus tomorrow (we should be so lucky).
I believe that smoking should be banned everywhere, allowing other people to breathe in your smoke is actually a slow form of manslaughter.
I must say that some of the arguements for smoking in this thread are absolutely absurd, how can you compare it to chewing gum ffs.
Let's smash Partytime.

#18 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

gotta agree with some of the smoking ban mainly due to the fact my gran,uncle and close family friend all died due to lung cancer.

my brother also worked in a bar up here in scotland and he found himself getting quite wheezy just walking and eventually found out it was due to the passive smoking caused by ciggies.(we was a fit guy not a bloater before anybody asks!!)

i have got no problem with people smoking but if it affects my health then something should be done.

i dont agree that banning smoking it pubs outright is the answer but having well ventilated smoking areas would be so much better.(the vast majority of pubs dont have these)

also comparing smoking to the playing of music....cmon thats one of the shittest comparisons i have ever heard.

baz

#19 mrgspot

mrgspot

Fancy It Ladies, Oh Yeah

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:29 PM

man this is getting ridiculously funny.... Have we all thought about whos trying to put this ban in place. A lousy, conning, backstabbing,tight arsed, robbing,f***ed up government who quite clearly do not understand there priorities, surely isnt there something more important than this......

I thought we all voted this cheesy government in this year to improve crime prevention, better education, schools, NHS....

Half of your hard earned money since creating this topic has been spent on WORTHLESS debating... Lets sort this country out first and worry about the minor points later......

Smoking kills we all no that, but this was the same last year and the year before that and the year before that even.... so why has it become such a major issue now.. You might as well say all of us smokers deserve to be murderers..... as we have obviously caused a major riot...

Quite frankly I think its absolute pathetic.

Im off for a fag!!!
Posted Image

---------------------------------------------------

"Yippee Ki Ya Kimasabi"..

#20 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:29 PM

I lost my one nan to lung cancer, and another to... I can't remember the name, but he had his voice box removed. The sad thing is, people laugh about smoking, but you will end up the same way. Maybe when you are 40, or maybe when you are 60, but you'll find out the hard way how stupid and pointless it is to spend £5 on a pack of twenty that are only going to lead to your early death.

Still, no talking to some people, and some people find what I say funny. Well, I'd love to lose sympathy but no matter how ignorant they are, I couldn't wish something like lung cancer on someone.
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users