12 replies to this topic

#1 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:12 PM

Right. Here are a few tips from me if you're thinking of doing a layout in MFME.

I'll try and explain to the best of my ability a few tips I've found whilst doing layouts myself that may help people.

Tip No1:

When you're cutting the lamps out when creating a DX layout, try and cut as close as possible to the lamp you want to cut without cutting inside of it.

This can sometimes be quite hard if the image you want to cut out is very small, so the best tool you can use for this sort of thing is Windows's own "Magnifier" tool. Which can be found by clicking on Start/All Programs/Accessories/Accessibility/Magnifier.

I sets mine to 6 or 7 for the really small lamps. The benefits of this is you don't need to use transparency as much, which can totally kill the speed of the machine. Especially on MFME2.0

Remember, the larger the lamp you cut, the slower the machine will become.

Tip No2:

Believe it or not, if transparency is ticked in the lamp properties of a lamp, and there isn't any transparency being used for that particular lamp, it will still slow down the machine even though transparency isn't being used on that particular lamp.

So, to speed up the machine, uncheck transparency on all the lamps that don't use it.

Even the coin entry lamps and buttons. It does make a difference - especially if you haven't got a terribly fast PC.

Tip No3:

Make sure you're using "Fancy Reels" on MFME2.0, because the old reel type I've found runs a lot slower than if you use the new reel type.

To convert older layouts from using the old reel type to the new reel type, just open MFME2.0 and go into the "Configuration" window straight away and check "Convert Reel" at the bottom of the window.

After you've done that, load up the game you want and change the size of all the reels so they fit into their respective windows properly.

They will enlarge after you've converted them.

Remember, once the machine as been converted and saved, it cannot be played in any emulator except MFME2.0

So make sure the machine works properly, without any bugs first, before saving the layout.

Tip No4:

Did you know that you can actually drag classic lamps into graphic lamps?

To do this, go into lamp mode (CTRL and L) and find the classic lamp you want to drag into the graphic lamp.

Once you've found the right classic lamp to match the graphic lamp, hold down CTRL over the classic lamp, and left mouse click on it and drag the classic lamp into the graphic lamp.

The graphic lamp will now have the same number as the classic lamp.

This technique only works with lamps and not button numbers for some reason.

You'll still have to put in the correct button numbers yourself like normal.

If anyone has got any other good tips they would like to share when using MFME then feel free. :)

#2 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:25 PM

Topic Stickied....

Few good tips there Ploggy.

Thanks for taking the time.....will save loads of effort in future, and cause less problems :rolleyes:

#3 lassefilm

lassefilm

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

I ant to know how to start doing layouts and extracting ROM:s. Is there an SDK? What do I program in? What are you drawing with when you draw the beautiful lamps?
Sincerely
Lars Johansson, Sweden

#4 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Seeing as there are a few new guys this from ploggy is worth taking note of....

Any more tips to add anyone?

#5 brucegeorge

brucegeorge

Layout Disasters

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:48 PM

thanks mate good tips i will remember them thanks for ur time that was a long thread big thumbs up :thumbs_up:

#6 saynowt

saynowt

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

i have a question for ya ploggy how can i cut and paste a layout from a bitman/jpeg i can use paint to cut squares ect but how can i cut and paste the machine shape do you know what a mean i have photoshop but dont really know how to use the cut/paste properly

#7 hitthesix

hitthesix

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3382 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

You can use the crop tool , to cut images or crop the machine, then save it.

#8 chattmatt4

chattmatt4

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Seems too complex to me so will stick to just playing heh :)

#9 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

i have a question for ya ploggy how can i cut and paste a layout from a bitman/jpeg i can use paint to cut squares ect but how can i cut and paste the machine shape do you know what a mean i have photoshop but dont really know how to use the cut/paste properly

Use the "crop" tool, like HTS said. And save it out as a BMP file. :)

A few more tips for MFME, while I'm here. :D

Shortcut keys:

CTRL+E = Edit Mode (Bar Turns Red)
CTRL+M = Makes Machine Mute
CTRL+T = Toggles The Lamp Numbers On/Off
CTRL+P = Pauses Machine
CTRL+L = Lamping Mode For DXing (Bar Turns Yellow)
CTRL+R = Resets Machine

P.S. When you're doing transparency work on the clipping lamps, the pixel MFME looks for transparency is the bottom-left pixel. And did you also know that you can change the brightness/darkness on the reel masks by changing the top left pixel?

One last thing I forgot to mention, and that is how to save bits from a layout. If you want to save the background/alpha/reel mask from a layout, hold down the "shift" key before clicking on whatever you want to save. If you're saving out an alpha, remember to put .bmp on the end of the filename. Scorpion 4 dot alpha displays can't be saved out.

Edited by ploggy, 31 March 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#10 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Use the "crop" tool, like HTS said. And save it out as a BMP file. :)

A few more tips for MFME, while I'm here. :D

Shortcut keys:

CTRL+E = Edit Mode (Bar Turns Red)
CTRL+M = Makes Machine Mute
CTRL+T = Toggles The Lamp Numbers On/Off
CTRL+P = Pauses Machine
CTRL+L = Lamping Mode For DXing (Bar Turns Yellow)
CTRL+R = Resets Machine

P.S. When you're doing transparency work on the clipping lamps, the pixel MFME looks for transparency is the bottom-left pixel. And did you also know that you can change the brightness/darkness on the reel masks by changing the top left pixel?

:D thanks for the shortcut keys

pause will certainly be helpful :)

#11 SUPER7

SUPER7

Shouldn't Fruit Machines Payout Fruit??

• Regulars
  • 642 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

Cheers m8, i have always wondered how tricky it is 2 set 1 of these machines up, this has helped!!, thanks!! :bigeyes11:

#12 keykey2299

keykey2299

• New Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

the problem im having is with the layout images, i cant create a .dat or ,res file. iv tried allsorts. really i have been stuck on this for ages. any advice please? :notworthy:

#13 ploggy

ploggy

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2228 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

You just save it out, mate. If you're using MFME2, and beyond, it will save out a .dat file. Click on 'Design' - 'Layout/Game' - 'Save Layout'. After you've done that, save out the .gam file as well. Follow the steps I've said, and instead of saving the layout, click on 'Save Game'. Now you should have a .dat file, and a .gam file in the same folder. :)
This be my stuff ----------> http://www.fruit-emu...wnloads&mid=301

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users