Impulses Holy Smoke Rom help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Adman1981

Adman1981

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:56 AM

I've recently bought an impulse holy smoke, id like to revert it to the earliest known working roms, one of the features that was removed Was the ability to collect on a question mark, however the roms are labelled by number rather than say jackpot, ive had the first two burnt with no joy, id imagine there £5 jp rather than the £25 am after, I was wondering if somone could take the time to find the roms am after- need using the emulator, I have no knowledge on its use or how yous even go about changing them, with in the emulator. I've tried asking dave from Mr Ps with no joy. Thanks in advanced for any help-time spent on my quest it will be massively appreciated.

#2 superbaron

superbaron

superbaron

• Regulars
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:38 PM

Hi Adman1981

Have you tried posting  in  https://www.fruitemu...orum/16-help/  there are lot's of people with real fruit machines you might have better luck finding the roms you are after.

Edited by superbaron, 24 November 2022 - 02:38 PM.

#3 Adman1981

Adman1981

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 02:07 AM

Hi thanks for taking the time to get back to me, yes I have tried fruitemu unfortunately no ones been able to help me on there either.

#4 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 12 December 2022 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

Don't get your hopes up but I think I had at least a couple of versions of this that I dumped many years ago.  I've no idea what revisions they were but I'm fairly certain I uploaded everything here (or to Google Drive with a link) at the time.  It's possible some might have gotten lost in the ether over the years though.

I'll see if I can find the old hard drive that I had everything stored on (or a backup of it)

As I said, don't get your hopes up...  It was at least 8 or 9 years ago and I may well have chucked it all.  I've certainly chucked the huge box of eproms I had.

#5 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 12 December 2022 - 10:51 AM

Luckily they were still on my cloud backup.

I actually have 11 different revisions of this so hopefully at least 1 will be what you're looking for.  I've never tested them and I don't know if ghs01 is the earliest and gsh10 the latest, or if some are duplicates (probably).  I also certainly didn't dump all these personally as I also scoured the internet for them at the time.

I don't have time atm to run them in the emulator to check but it's easy to run them in MFME to see which will accept the jackpot settings you're after though.

Attached Files

Edited by killcrazy, 12 December 2022 - 10:59 AM.

#6 Adman1981

Adman1981

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:14 AM

Hi killcrazy, first of all thanks so much for both looking and finding the roms, I really appreciate it, the problem is I have no knowledge of how the emulator works neither does the guy that burns my roms, there's a massive list of roms out there, but without there being a way to find out which are £5 and £25 he's burnt me the first two sets, both turned out to be for the £5, as you can imagine ignoring that time spent changing them, it's become quite costly, postage wise, thats why I thought I'd ask in hear, I have asked dave from Mr Ps for help but that was about 6 months ago am yet to hear back from him. Again thanks for the time you've put into looking I really appreciate it.

#7 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 13 December 2022 - 11:32 AM

Ah I see.  If I have some time later I'll try and load them and see if I can find what you're looking for

#8 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:27 PM

Okay I've quickly tried 3 sets and I know what your problem is likely to be.

The 3 sets I've tried do support a £25 jackpot, but only in LBO mode (Licenced Betting Office).  Not a normal "pub" profile.  I'm guessing most (or all) of these ROM sets will be the same.  

So on your stake/jackpot key that's plugged into the MPU board - does it have DIP switches so you can adjust the stake and jackpot?  If so you need to set this to "£25 LBO" instead of "£25 Cash".  If you have a fixed key then order one that you can switch from eBay (only a few pounds).  I tried 30p stake but 25p might work too (not sure for LBO).

It's likely the ROMs you've already had burned will work in this mode.  

As I understand, LBO mode would be used in a bookmakers.  The gameplay would be more volatile and it would save up for more large streaks etc.  Someone else would be able to give a better explanation of the differences as I never knowingly played one in the wild in this mode.

If you want me to check any more (or the software revisions of each) let me know

#9 Adman1981

Adman1981

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:39 AM

Hi again, thanks for the time spent on trying to resolve this for me. It's really appreciated.

So my understanding is that the game came in both £5 and £25 jp iterations.

The roms are listed only by there revision number rather that stake prize, my assumption was the first two sets that were burnt would be the £5 rather that the £25 that I require hence it neither booting or alarming.

I've also discovered the earlier roms had a "plugging" vulnerability, however one distinct feature of them was the ability to take a win when you landed on a question mark, this is the easiest way to tell the difference compared to the later roms,

The earlier roms also had a better steak in them £100 this was reduced to £75 again that would make sense for a LBO profile

The stake prize key is a variable one, however am assuming the profile change is going to be a dil setting on the epoch mpu.

You make a interesting point regarding LBO option, I know beer guide roms £5 and £15 can be changed via just the stake prize, but £25 requires a rom change I always assumed this would be the same although as far as I know there's neither a £10 or £15 iteration so ot would make senses that both were available using one set of roms.

Thanks again for all the work you've put into helping me.

#10 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2022 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

Pretty sure the ROMs I tried all supported both £5 and £25 LBO (not £25 cash) just by changing the stake/prize key setting.  In fact a lot of machines I've worked with can usually be switched between £5 or £25 jp with the same ROM set, not always, but usually. 

I'll double check and try a few more for you.  

Have you tried the ROMs you've had burned with the stake/jackpot key set to £25 LBO (rather than £25 cash)?  They might well work in this setting.  See below link for the DIP switch setting.  Doesn't require any change on the MPU as far as I'm aware.

http://www.swallowam.co.uk/pckey.php

#11 Adman1981

Adman1981

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 03:14 AM

Hi thanks for the info, unfortunately I've sent both set of roms back to the guy that burnt them for me, hopefully he's not over written them yet and I'll get a set resent.

Thanks for all the time and info you provided its really appreciated, am sure it will be after new year before I get any verdict but I'll definitely get back to you and let you know the outcome thanks again and all the best for a wicked holiday.

#12 Adman1981

Adman1981

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 10:39 PM

So after getting the roms back I was able to change the stake to the correct settings and use the early roms I was after thanks for all the help with this Killcrazy the time and knowledge was really appreciate.

#13 altharic

altharic

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 447 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 07:58 AM

Are you the same Killcrazy that coded that Epoch emulator?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users