Future of AWP

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 FruitTim90

FruitTim90

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 11:49 AM

Sorry i have not been on for ages but I thought I would start a chat with you lads. I actually have not played a single machine for over 4 years now due to issues in my life (to put it short I had a breakdown but I am slowly getting there as to say) I'm also only 27.

I used to love playing £5 high techs but last time I was at Great Yarmouth and Hemsby especially (always loved it there) I was shocked to see literately no high tech machines in site, everything had gone (Reds, Extremes, Barcrests etc) and all replaced with either ticket machines or these new breed of bullion bars and the Rainbow Riches clones etc, all video based machines.

I am thinking of going somewhere this summer to have a casual punt (I can only afford to gamble on £5,s to be honest) but I was just wondering, are there any Hi Tech machines anywhere now? It was basically after seeing Yarmouth & Hemsby be rid of absoloutely everything I have not visited another arcade since.

I find those video machines like Rainbow Riches etc so utterly boring, sorry but I honestly do not like them, a bunch of floating A,Q,J etc and that is it, awful. What had happened to all the old Hi techs? I can't understand why arcades would get rid of like every single one of them and replace them with a Bullion Bars/ Rainbow video when they had so many machines.

I actually don't remember seeing many machines at all last time I was at Yarmouth & Hemsby, just ticket machines and all the other stuff (which I won't complain about because they are there for families)

It just baffles me why all the Hi Techs have somewhat vanished, but saying that I have not been in an arcade in 4 years due to my breakdown but I have however seen "Arcade tour" videos recently on YouTube of the ones at Southend On Sea and it looks like there are hardly any fruits there either???

Basically lads I am wondering, are there any Hi Techs anywhere now? I can stomach some DONDs but these video based Lo Techs, no lol I can't stand them.

#2 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

playnation/novomatic have got a huge contract to supply their new cabinets, its the same cabinet for the storm £500s on service stations.

utter piles of poo, but people play them.

as for the era, everything when shite when Barcrest pulled out. now DOND clones are all that are left. i hate DONds, far too much for a board, weeks wages for a DOND feature. steer clear or play the emu.

#3 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

Personally i would go somewhere like were Mr P has a arcade, where they have just all the old ones mainly from the 90's to 2000s :)

#4 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:23 PM

Glad you're recovering.

As for machines, well I don't know about local to you, but certainly everywhere I've been over the past couple of years, it's mainly been lo tech rubbish and ticket machines.

Even large seaside resorts like Blackpool are getting that way, apart from the £500 adult only areas.

You need to have a retro arcade near you like MR P's.

I don't know if town arcades like Nobles and Acora have a selection of £5 10p high techs still as haven't been in one for years.

Ten Pin Bowling arcades used to have them as well, but again not been to one for years.

Other than that, maybe a holiday camp, where you could pay for a day visitors pass. Or any travelling fairs, during the school holidays.

#5 cliffc

cliffc

• Regulars
  • 946 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

I would get your self to Bognor Regis as Mr P has just opened his 1st seaside arcade there and he has a selection of classic machines, some of them are on £5 jackpots but he also has some on slightly larger jackpots, but he does have some of the new £500 ones as well in the over 18s area, and all of his machines are all on high percentages, so you will get a good game,

#6 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

Personally i would go somewhere like were Mr P has a arcade, where they have just all the old ones mainly from the 90's to 2000s :)

Thought Mr P's had closed down

#7 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

Sothend has a few oldies. £4.80 Bar Xs as well as a few others. Personally I cant be bothered with arcades nowadays as it is all a pile of shite. Would rather play and donate on here as at least you can play what you want to. Would be nice if these fruitys on here could spit cash out of the bottom of my laptop lol.

#8 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

Thought Mr P's had closed down

Think he has 3 or 4 arcades now.

#9 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:31 PM

I know he had/has one in Gravesend

#10 wearecity

wearecity

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

I seem to remember reading about arcades in Chatham/Gravesend/Tonbridge/Bognor.

I think one of them at least is no longer as the location was moved.

I keep saying about visiting one or more of them, as I'm reasonably close to a couple of the locations and have free travel to get to them, through my job.

#11 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:43 AM

They've all had their day now sadly...

I wouldn't entertain going into an amusement arcade now and playing them, I hardly boot the emulator nowadays and it looks like video 5-reel slots are the 'in' thing, both in the arcades and online.

To be honest with you, after playing the emulator a lot in my past and realising, far too late, that AWP slots were just a total scam and rip off, I won't lose any sleep when the last one goes in the crusher!

#12 wearecity

wearecity

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 10:46 AM

I won't lose any sleep when the last one goes in the crusher!

As long as we get the resources for the emulator first.

#13 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:13 PM

Stardust, it was fun ripping them off too. I have been thrown out of many a arcade, pub, bingo halls, kebab shops and the list goes on for either emptying or being to knowledgeable when playing. Those were the days.

As long as we get the resources for the emulator first.

You know it buddy.

#14 mabby2000

mabby2000

• Regulars
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

Hi, i went to bognor Regis yesterday.
Fantastic arcade with loads of proper classics! Even the 2p pushers about 25/30 years old still going!
some fruits are on token jackpots some all cash and 2 over 18's areas.
Very very fair percentages, Great place.
Will go again very soon
Only 2hrs 30mins drive, lovely drive there and back
Will try to visit all his other arcades!

Edited by mabby2000, 02 April 2019 - 04:00 PM.

#15 FruitTim90

FruitTim90

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

Thanks to all for the replies, advise and info here! What a shame, all good (better) machines are basically
Over, it’s interesting what you say Nails regarding Barcrest pulling out because yeah it was any Barcrest machine I was happy to play basically (as they also made for Extreme, Red etc) they were all at least proper AWP machines. I will definitely try to get to some places mentioned but damn it is a shame that all the seasides have changed, I used to love them, I wonder if any seaside has some old machines, we’ll just anything but video ones! It was honestly a great memory going to seasides as a teen and playing in the amusements, but again like I said Yarmouth & Hemsby shocked me that everything had basically gone, such big arcades but no high tech machines anywhere (except some DOND). It’s why I went to seasides, because I liked the atmosphere, but I guess I can go again and do something else other than the machines because I still do like the atmosphere of seasides.

So that is that I guess? Maybe we can pray that in the future a company like Barcrest comes along and gives us a load of machines again? Also where exactly do those old machines go? To have like 40 high techs just go from an arcade and be replaced by video ones like what happens to the high techs?

Thanks a lot tho but seriously “f” those video machines

#16 wearecity

wearecity

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:01 PM

Ebay etc is where many go, look at how many machines are on there, lots of DONDs in particular.

Plus many original £25+ Jackpot machines got converted to £5,then I guess broken up sold for parts or just binned.

Weatherspoons is keeping the AWP alive IMO. Went in one last week, they had 4 AWPS and two multi video slot cabinets.

As well as the multi line video slots, the cabinets also had several AWPS on them, so the cabinet had a mixture of randoms and set % machines you could play.

The jackpot for the randoms is still £100, so people may as well go to the £500 bookies slots if they are going to play random slots.

#17 ricardo de ponsa

ricardo de ponsa

Man Of Science

• Regulars
  • 1110 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:18 PM

FruiTim9, you are quite right in your account of arcades along the resorts of Norfolk and Suffolk. Being a local, noticed this over the past few years, that the old school machines have been replaced by the dreaded ticket machines. Arcades in Gorleston and Lowestoft have slowly been replaced all the favourites I'm afraid.

However I visited Hunstanton last year and there is a glimmer of hope, Spa (moderator) was installing some old school machines in his arcade, but the rest of the arcades along the front are just one ticket machine after the other. Not visited an arcade now for several months now, not that I was that regular a punter.

Don't come round and steal my Cheerios !!!!

#18 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

dont touch ticket machines with a barge pole unless your on them for fun. a typical 60-70% machine, combines with over marked up prizes kinda works out playing a machine at 30% payout.

Ebay etc is where many go, look at how many machines are on there, lots of DONDs in particular.

Plus many original £25+ Jackpot machines got converted to £5,then I guess broken up sold for parts or just binned.

Weatherspoons is keeping the AWP alive IMO. Went in one last week, they had 4 AWPS and two multi video slot cabinets.

As well as the multi line video slots, the cabinets also had several AWPS on them, so the cabinet had a mixture of randoms and set % machines you could play.

The jackpot for the randoms is still £100, so people may as well go to the £500 bookies slots if they are going to play random slots.

couldn't agree more, bung £20 in and if you win £100+ walk away!

#19 jjoengineer

jjoengineer

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

I stopped working for Bandai Namco 6 months ago an we supplied all the machines for Tenpin and Hollywood Bowl arcade and we were just pulling hi-techs of sites. I don't think theirs a huge customer base for them anymore. They also made zero money. They are the least profitable square meter on the arcade floor. The sites would rather stick a ticket redemption game in its place that would do £300 a week rather then a CATD Hi-tec that would make £30/£40. But I totally agree with this thread. Its a shame that they are dissappearing to local tips and man caves. They will be missed.

#20 CharlieRaymondo

CharlieRaymondo

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:29 AM

Well at least they can still be played on here thanks to all that contribute to bring us some form of nostalgia. From Vectra, Pook, Wearcity and hitthesix if it wasn't for you as well as many others(sorry I'm a noob lol) I wouldn't have the fun I have that you give me. Love you guys and love this and other Emu sites like Desert fruits😍😍

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users