Shit Start to 2019

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hold the bells

hold the bells

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

A guy I work with at our head office in the EU was off work a couple of Monday’s ago as his little girl had the standard 2-year-old fever that all kids get, I have a son the same age so we are always swapping tales of kids being imps and funny.

I know this as he had a text exchange with another workmate  about this and the fact, he might not make dinner we were all going to on Tuesday

Later that Monday he took her to A&E and she died, he is back at work now but I don’t know what happened and I’m unlikely to ask him any time soon.

So, I guess for me an all of you with kids the lesson around Shit thing number one, is that kids can’t be too much work ever. My family has gone to Dublin for 5 days, leaving me at home to do some jobs, less than 30 minutes after I was home after dropping them off at Heathrow the silence in the house was deafening, so god knows what his days are like.

It made me very sad for him, I had a text with him today as he needed me to do some work for him, I had to wait 5 minutes to reply as I wanted to get my shit together and be business-like and not bring up his daughter via over emotion, first time I’ve considered a text response this long in my life. So, we did the chat I was sort of pleased I hadn’t made a twat of myself and made his situation worse

Then a few hours later I get a call about another work mate, who I have known 16 years. He has a brain tumor, which I knew to be none cancerous, but had been a harder operation than first thought, Now turns out it was cancer and nothing more can be done, he is in the hospital and is not expected to see the month out,

So enjoy your kids and your friends as much as you can, so easy to get diverted from the great presence they are by the bullshit of day to day existence

#2 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

shit me, mate not a good start to the year, i feel for you and your workmate's sudden lose. 

I know what you mean by house quiet without kids screaming at each other or even the other half shouting at me, although its nice to have the house to yourself some evenings/days.                    i can't begin to imagine what your work colleague is going through. If its on your mind you could always send a text saying "if you want to talk or anything don't be afraid to contact me". 

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#3 dchristo1971

dchristo1971

• New Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

Makes you realise how fragile life is and how much we take good health for granted. A former colleague of mine had a stroke days before his retirement. He's ok now but will never be back to 100%

#4 thecodfather

thecodfather

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Hold the Bells, 

It sadly takes something like this to make you realise how fragile life really is, a difficult time for your work colleague.   It really does make you appreciate the little wins as it were and makes you appreciate those that are around you.  There are so many more platitudes that I could come out with but appreciate those you care about...

Three months ago I was dancing at my Nephews wedding with my MiL and today is week three of her Radiotherapy for an incurable brain tumour.  We didn't have a clue at the time.  

Life really can change quickly!

poker

#5 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

Sorry you're having a rough one fella.  I'm sure it will turn around soon enough.  Hang in there, all the best!

#6 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

I too have a work colleague who went from supposedly nothing wrong, looking forward to Xmas, to having a brain tumour.

I'm approaching 50 (June 2020) and in the past few years, have really woken up to the fact, that we aren't immortal. We don't know what our future holds, but I'm hoping to be able to retire in my mid 50's, because I want to be able to live life to the full while I'm still able bodied and strong enough and not to be tied down to having to get up for work, but to get out there and see and do stuff.

I urge anyone reading this even in their 20's and 30's to start to get out their and enjoy life, but also think about later life and start to prepare. By the time you get to 50, you'll not be able to claim a pension from the government at all, the way things seem to be going. Do you really want to be at somebody's beck and call and being tied into working in your 60's and 70's.

Edited by wearecity, 16 February 2019 - 10:06 AM.

#7 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

I too have a work colleague who went from supposedly nothing wrong, looking forward to Xmas, to having a brain tumour.

I'm approaching 50 (June 2020) and in the past few years, have really woken up to the fact, that we aren't immortal. We don't know what our future holds, but I'm hoping to be able to retire in my mid 50's, because I want to be able to live life to the full while I'm still able bodied and strong enough and not to be tied down to having to get up for work, but to get out there and see and do stuff.

I urge anyone reading this even in their 20's and 30's to start to get out their and enjoy life, but also think about later life and start to prepare. By the time you get to 50, you'll not be able to claim a pension from the government at all, the way things seem to be going. Do you really want to be at somebody's beck and call and being tied into working in your 60's and 70's.

I agree in part but also part disagree.

My uncle (now in a permanent prison,in a end stage EMI unit for the elderly),retired at 50 and although he enjoyed his life and exercised regularly and went on lots of hols,his seed of dementia grew year on year until he could no longer support himself.

And I do believe that if he had have worked just another 5 years he may well have kept his mind working that little bit longer.

I am semi retired with my partners ill health,who was retired on ill health grounds over 3 years ago and he is 48 next!

Yet my key and daily goal is to get him out as much as I can(weather permitting) and to engage him and myself in as many activities as possible as opposed to stagnating in front of the box!

I stimulate my mind with some puzzle games on the laptop as I always have my uncle at the back of mind with his debilitating illness and the very fact that 13 of my nan's 14 bothers an sisters developed the same illness!!

I agree with your point get out and stimulate your mind and engage in exercise to what your personal capabilities are.

Ive made a real effort with weight too I was 16 stone 8lb im now 13 stone 5lb -lost the weight in just under two years and no gimmick diets or paying people to tell you what anyone is capable of doing themselves. :nah:

We have any meal for either lunch or tea including take away's :err: -then for the other meal  we have a jelly and half an apple. We also have a jelly for breki and as snacks I do get small treats but instead of having a packet of something(which we regularly used to) we just have one-and it's worked.

But what ever we do or don't do none of us know our fate,we just gota try and make the best and make each day count.

We got some nice weather here so when it is here time to make the most of it.

Jay

Edited by gemini17, 16 February 2019 - 11:47 AM.

#8 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

A guy I work with at our head office in the EU was off work a couple of Monday’s ago as his little girl had the standard 2-year-old fever that all kids get, I have a son the same age so we are always swapping tales of kids being imps and funny.

I know this as he had a text exchange with another workmate  about this and the fact, he might not make dinner we were all going to on Tuesday

Later that Monday he took her to A&E and she died, he is back at work now but I don’t know what happened and I’m unlikely to ask him any time soon.

So, I guess for me an all of you with kids the lesson around Shit thing number one, is that kids can’t be too much work ever. My family has gone to Dublin for 5 days, leaving me at home to do some jobs, less than 30 minutes after I was home after dropping them off at Heathrow the silence in the house was deafening, so god knows what his days are like.

It made me very sad for him, I had a text with him today as he needed me to do some work for him, I had to wait 5 minutes to reply as I wanted to get my shit together and be business-like and not bring up his daughter via over emotion, first time I’ve considered a text response this long in my life. So, we did the chat I was sort of pleased I hadn’t made a twat of myself and made his situation worse

Then a few hours later I get a call about another work mate, who I have known 16 years. He has a brain tumor, which I knew to be none cancerous, but had been a harder operation than first thought, Now turns out it was cancer and nothing more can be done, he is in the hospital and is not expected to see the month out,

So enjoy your kids and your friends as much as you can, so easy to get diverted from the great presence they are by the bullshit of day to day existence

Sorry to hear of what you have faced and gone through.

I can't imagine what that must be like to lose your child as your friend as done.

RIP.

Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users