Photo

Fantasia Rol A Top (MPU4) alarm - help please :)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Hi all, I have a Rol A Top one armed bandit machine by Fantasia.  I will try and upload a picture later, but basically it is a modern machine with an PMU4 processor, but in the shell of an actual Rol A Top one armed bandit.

It has been working fine,but when I switched on yesterday the reels span as they usually do, but didnt line up properly.  Then an alarm noise sounded.  This happened when I tried a couple more times.

I've checked the connectors on the MPU4 to check they are properly connected, but not sure what I should try next.  Any ideas?

I would love to get this going soon as it is one of my favourite machines.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

Duff reel sensor, reel board, or more seriously the old enemy of battery leakage damage.

Check the MPU battery first.

#3 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:51 PM

Thanks aaa amusements.  How would I check the battery?  Is it a case of removing the MPU4 and taking it apart - and if I do, is it obvious which bit is the battery?

Really appreciate your help!  Cheers, Mark.

#4 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:43 PM

You need to remove the plastic case from the MPU so that you can see the actual circuit board.

The battery will be a blue or green plastic cased component marked Varta, usually.

You might be able to see the leakage, or there might be evidence of damage to the board and components.

#5 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

Right, I think I've identified the problem thanks to the excellent help here and Terry at TPG.

I was told that if the machine alarms on switch on, to turn the refill key and see if this causes the machine to start normally - and IT DOES!

But, there must be a battery problem as although it starts it thinks the hopper is empty, but works fine when I press "hopper topped up".

So, basically it looks like it has no memory.  From my pinball machine experience, I understand this is probably due to the battery.

I've not had a chance to remove the MPU4 yet and may not get time until tomorrow, but does that sound like something that can be fixed?  It was working fine up until last week :(

Assuming it can be fixed, is this a job for an amateur (me) or something best left to the professionals (you guys)?

Thanks again, and it is a relief that although it is not working properly yet, it looks like it is something we can sort out :)

Cheers, Mark.

#6 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

Hopefully there's no leakage damage... if it's just that the battery needs changing then you will need a soldering iron and some skill to use it.

I fear that there will be damage. There is very often on these boards. They are fixable though.

#7 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

if your lucky and the battery has only recently gone there could be no damage, but I would get the dead battery removed ASAP even if you not got a replacement yet.

I would also fly lead the new one rather than soldering it back into the board for future benefits :)

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#8 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

Thanks guys, I will try and get the board out tonight and have a look at the battery.  I'll get some pics too, so hopefully between us we can see if there is any damage.

Good idea mounting the battery off the board in future.  Are there any instructions anywhere on how to do this?  I do have a soldering iron etc, and although not particularly expert I can do simple work.

Any idea what battery I will need to get to replace this, and where I would get one (and how much it costs)?

Cheers, Mark.

#9 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

Would this be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.u...y-/280643767721

Cheers, Mark

#10 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

Right, another update........... Ive removed the connectors from the MPU4 and removed it from the machine - but I'm not sure if I'm going mad but I cant see how to get into it!  Any ideas?

It sort of looks like it is hinged at the bottom, but the clips at the top do not look like they bend far enough to unclip, and I dont want to force anything and break it!  I want to check the battery so I can remove it if neccesary, but can't do anything until I get into it :(

Thanks in advance!

Mark

#11 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:17 PM

You have to slide the clips as far as I remember. Suddenly remembered I haven't opened one up for a couple of years now!

#12 markjbevan

markjbevan

• Regulars
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

A ha, thanks aaa you're right :)

The clips side across and the unit opens - at least, it opens a bit - it looks like I need to unscrew the internal screws which hold the card holder in place as this is preventign the top from coming completely off.  Once I've done that, I'll have a look at the battery.

What type of battery do I need to replace it with?  Does anywhere sell them, or is that eBay link I posted earlier the right one?

I think as suggested before, I will try and mound off the board to prevent leakage in future :)

Thanks guys, we're making good progress and I really appreciate your help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users