48 replies to this topic

#21 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Have tried upgrading 3 times and it fails every time. I am on borrowed bandwidth and 3GB is a ridiculous amount of data to try and pull through a 4Mb/s connection. I'm sticking with 7 until they make the upgrade work.

Edited by Guitar, 02 August 2015 - 07:25 PM.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#22 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:03 PM

Have tried upgrading 3 times and it fails every time. I am on borrowed bandwidth and 3GB is a ridiculous amount of data to try and pull through a 4Mb/s connection. I'm sticking with 7 until they make the upgrade work.

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

That worked for me, mine failed about 3 times and the update log was full of spam from it.

#23 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Or, alternatively...

Directly download the version of Windows 10 you require from Microsoft itself with the link at the bottom.

This link will let you create your own media, either an ISO image for DVD or an ESD image for flash drives, and you can then directly upgrade your computer using this method, or, if your computer is activated on Windows 10, do a fresh install. :)

http://www.microsoft...nload/windows10

#24 corel

corel

• Regulars
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:23 AM

Strange question this but before downloading/installing windows 10 do I have to back up all my files, music etc into an external drive or can I install without fear of losing anything?

#25 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

Strange question this but before downloading/installing windows 10 do I have to back up all my files, music etc into an external drive or can I install without fear of losing anything?

I didn't, Just clicked the link that Microsoft sent me and Windows 10 installed without the need to back any files up.

Installation took about half an hour.

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#26 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

You should be fine if they are on another drive or partition for stuff like audio files etc, but make sure you have backup's for your progs just in case.....

However on my win10 lappy, I went the upgrade route (Though I did a clean-install later), and basicaly found all my progs still working afterwards.

The reason I went with the clean install later, was unfortunaly as part of the upgrade process, found over 15 gig worth of junk files, and no easy way to work out what to keep etc.

#27 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

Oh, if you do decide later to do a clean re-install, may help you to note down the new OS install key, by using one of the many key reveal progs out there..... found the easyist one was Belarc Advisor, which is more an audit tool, and look under the section marked Internet Explorer (This will be the win10 key), where as the main OS key, will be for win7 or 8.1, dpending which one you upgrade from.

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

#28 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

RE w10's start menu..... if you STILL don't like it's default setup, looks like Windows Classic Shell can fix this and most of the other stuff, so you can have things set up more like Windows Classic, w7, or w8.1

Attached Files

• Attached File  010.jpg   58.81KB   1 downloads

Edited by stanmarsh14, 05 August 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#29 stardust

stardust

Daryl

• Regulars
  • 720 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

RE w10's start menu..... if you STILL don't like it's default setup, looks like Windows Classic Shell can fix this and most of the other stuff, so you can have things set up more like Windows Classic, w7, or w8.1

As much as I love the new Windows 10 and how it has vastly improved from Windows 8 and Windows 8.1...

I do miss the older Start menu - and although Windows 10 has made great strides to bring it back, it still has the 'Metro' look to it when it is launched (which is great on my HP Touchscreen, but not on the iMac on Bootcamp.

So I think I will give this a go - it looks promising :)

#30 letmein

letmein

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 718 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

I had to re install Chrome & Skype, eveything else was fine.

Only had one small issue since upgrading, every so often when playing a game app the screen goes black for a split second.

Strange?

M

#31 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

As much as I love the new Windows 10 and how it has vastly improved from Windows 8 and Windows 8.1...

I do miss the older Start menu - and although Windows 10 has made great strides to bring it back, it still has the 'Metro' look to it when it is launched (which is great on my HP Touchscreen, but not on the iMac on Bootcamp.

So I think I will give this a go - it looks promising :)

Delete all the live tiles & it's a pretty good substitute.

665d330f585ab0a29304ce2d14b22107.png

#32 jamesy4

jamesy4

• Regulars
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:52 PM

I recently downgraded from Windows 10 due to privacy issues, since they are tracking and forwarding data that you do.

Whether it's going on torrents, downloading a file, etc it is all recorded and soon they'll be able to hit you with a warning from the ISPs as I was on a IRC channel that I go on as there was a big talk about it and at least three people were hit with a letter from their ISPs for illegal downloads.

One of the major new functions that Windows 10 has recently updated in their latest line of product and no wonder the upgrade is free.

I don't really blame Windows for adding this in as it'll soon stop the illegal hunters as even changing the settings won't really do anything in the system.

Link: http://thenextweb.co...07/29/wind-nos/

Have fun as even turning off services, Microsoft and the Advertisers will know what you are doing from the first instant of start-up and theirs nothing we can do about it as it's passed by the Government.

Edited by jamesy4, 05 August 2015 - 11:56 PM.

TqxKl7c.png

:) Fruit-Emu The Number 1 Download Site For Fruit Machines!! :)

#33 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:19 AM

If you set it up without using a Microsoft account (i.e. create a local account) then that cuts down a lot of these features. Also disable Cortana if you have privacy concerns.

I'm not sure if MS share torrent downloading information directly to ISPs, especially UK ones. It would seem odd (even if this was happening) that it would work so quickly and without error.

If the people concerned were downloading from public torrent sites then that would be a more likely source of these takedown messages.

#34 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:03 PM

I've upgraded this afternoon, all good so far!

#35 DAD

DAD

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

My WIFI times out all the time since upgrading :(  It's pissing me right off!

#36 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:32 PM

Not a problem on here, I'm cabled to the PC.

#37 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

My WIFI times out all the time since upgrading :(  It's pissing me right off!

I was ok to begin with, but the wi-fi niggles here are starting to get worse as time gets on, to the point I am having to use a LAN cable.

Also I am beginning to find compatability issues, and I highly suspect my ROM reader is also having issues, although I have just seen the past few days an update which makes mention a lot about win8.1 where as before it did not get a mention, so I may give it another go yet.

http://www.mcumall.com/downloads/

Edited by stanmarsh14, 18 August 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#38 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

Gone back to 8.1 here, done a nice bit of gaming lately & even with several driver changes pushing my card caused a lot of screen tear and general instability under DX11.

#39 jamesy4

jamesy4

• Regulars
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

Did you read up on the topic about illegal Games and Software/Hardware now that was recently updated in Section 7b in their term within the new updates it has recently rolled out?

TqxKl7c.png

:) Fruit-Emu The Number 1 Download Site For Fruit Machines!! :)

#40 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

Did you read up on the topic about illegal Games and Software/Hardware now that was recently updated in Section 7b in their term within the new updates it has recently rolled out?

Heard about it but nothing that worries me, seeing how Game devs/publishers say the reason PC downloads cost so much is due to piracy here's hoping this causes them to drop the price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users