maygay epoch mario kart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eggplantUK

eggplantUK

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

A friend has just bought a Mario Kart fruit machine, his favourite!  The seller had listed it as working.  Unfortunately, his Dad picked it up for him as he was passing the seller on a recent trip, and didn't try it before loading it in his vehicle.  When he got it down here, it wouldn't work.  

The seller says that it worked when he last tried it.  Apparently it took a little time to warm up, then kicked in.

What it's doing:

• It buzzes (mk 1 PSU board) - more of a hiss, I'd say!
  • The red light on the front flashes.
  • 6 lights on the PSU.
  • 3 power lights on the main board - no flashing top light.
  • 3 lights on the reels - reels don't attempt to spin.
  • After 5-10 minutes, there's a funny popping noise, like a machine gun, which seems to be coming from the speaker at the front.

I'm an arcade tech, but I worked mostly on video games - I'm not really familiar with the Epoch from a technical point of view.  So I seek help from those more versed with this technology - advice would be appreciated!

What I've noticed:

• I hear you should remove C5 and C6 from the mk 1 board to avoid fire.  C5 has removed itself - half of it is missing!
  • I probed the big connectors on the PSU (used the case as ground) but didn't get any reading.  There's obviously power, though, as both sets of lights work.
  • The back of the MPU looks like the battery has leaked and made a mess.  It appears someone's scraped the acid mess off.
  • There are two bare pink wires hanging down.
  • There's a connector not attached, but doesn't appear to fit anywhere.

So, my questions would be:

1. Is the PSU likely to be OK?
  2. Considering C5 has blown, is anything else likely to have been taken out?  If so, what?
  3. Would it be worthwhile changing the board for a mk 2 anyway?
  4. What are the pinouts of the connectors on the PSU?
  5. Is the main fault likely to be the battery leakage?  It doesn't look great, for sure.
  6. Repair leak or replace MPU?  They seem relatively expensive, if you consider what he's already spent on the machine.
  7. What are those pink wires hanging down? (see pics) - they're above the PSU (nearly touching the case - great!)  There's a sticker by/on a load of wires, including them, saying alarm connection 12v supply - is that what they are?
  8. What's the other connector?

My friend is also looking for the following:

• Pretty much all changeable decals (it's a £15 jackpot, we believe) - £15 jackpot, piece of red road & the £15 bar/7s/jackpot strip.
  • One reel (the plastic has a piece missing, with graphic) - or whatever's needed to make good.
  • Manual (how many manuals should there be with this machine?)

Can anyone suggest where to obtain these?

Here are photos:

imgur.com/a/IL7vx

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

#2 Mavroz

Mavroz

odd job man...

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Replace mpu, first place to start.... then lampboard, then ancillary boards if necessary.

If all led's lit on psu, it is more than likely ok. Hard to tell without working mpu.

Any battery leakage= dead epoch.

Looking at the pics, the mpu is definitely to be replaced.

The cap on the psu also looks burned but it has partially removed itself.

Edited by Mavroz, 11 April 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#3 eggplantUK

eggplantUK

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I think you're right - it's going to be easier to replace the MPU with a known good one and work from there.

The cap has indeed partially removed itself!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users