its finaly happened :(

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 zerocode

zerocode

• New Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

the only arcade within miles of me that was worth a visit, as i'm stuck in the arse end of nowhere in tayside is a cashino. it used to have a few decent machines but I'm not long getting back from the most depressing flutter of my life. i'm not a big player, i'm quite content to walk in with a score bung a couple of quid into each 5jpt play a few boards and leave, but now there is absolutely nothing left that is worth my time or money. they used to have crazy fruits green, red hot roll, demon streak and golden keys that i'd play but now its just barx, partytime and the 500's :( that's me pretty much out the game now. it was NEVER about the money. I'd go for a cup of tea/cake and an hour or so of entertainment. seriously gutted there is no fun to any of these machines anymore.

#2 nick_uk_911

nick_uk_911

The Flaming Moron

• Regulars
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:28 AM

Yeah we all hear you, same with my local arcade in town, the entertainment value has gone and its just about making machines that can strip the punter of his cash in mega quick time. 

Machines aren't maintained and more bulbs are off than on, i know in the Arcade nr me the guys behind the counter watch the machines and have friends who play ones that have been filled up by an unsuspecting victim. 

In a way I'm Glad as for the last say 3 years ive probably visited the arcade a dozen times at the most whereas before when machines were entertaining and money lasted longer (for me the £15/£25 era of machines) I'd be in there at least twice a week. 

Do what some people here do myself included and buy a machine or two and use it as a savings bank, most machines are dirt cheap these days!

#3 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

HI and welcome to the site, yes it's been discussed many times on here the machine's today jusy seam to get tighter and tighter no good for the Casual punter like you and myself. Nice to see a new member joining in, it's what this site desperately needs right now and I hope you find many fruits "layouts " that you'll enjoy like I do.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#4 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

Apart from the seaside and even then, it isn't many, very few arcades exist in my experience, that have access to older machines.

When I say older, I mean, everything pre the £15 jackpot. The £4, £6 and £8 Jackpot type machines that we use to think were money grabbers, but are pussy cats compared to today's £100 and £500 machines. Even then most smaller jackpot machines are £5 jackpot machines, converted from £70 jackpot machines, which can be really brutal as well. It's even rarer are to find machines which have been left at £4-£8 jackpots.

The last few times I've been in a town arcade probably go in once or twice a year with mates, when we go away for a weekend, it is mostly £500 machines, or machines that play like £500 machines, but only have £100 jackpots. Each time we generally lose £100 - £200 between us within 15-20 minutes and leave.

The tea, biscuits and raffle tickets, are simply there to keep you pumping in the £20 notes. It's like going to afternoon tea at a local cafe and paying £200 for the privilege, of curled up sandwiches and a glass of orange.

#5 jackpotjon05

jackpotjon05

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:51 PM

The thing I worry about is, the machines are getting tighter and tighter, more and more shite, therefore people like me and many others have stopped playing them

and will simply walk away.

This is only going to get worse before it gets better, the arcades will therefore struggle (as they already are) and machines will continue to get worse in the attempt

to recuperate their losses.

It's a vicious circle and I really do think unless something gets done about it soon, the industry could die completely.

Ok, a lot of seaside resorts attract some regular compulsive gamblers and the holidays attract kids, ticket machines for crap prizes, but how long is this going to

last?

I may be completely wrong, but with the 1000's of players that ''can't be bothered'' anymore (like me) that's a hell of a lot of lost revenue.

Just for example.... I walked into one of my locals last week and I was the only one in there.

HOW do places like this survive? Is it the small minority that is keeping these places going?

#6 wearecity

wearecity

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

Most non seaside town arcades,are full of either lonely pensioners, spending their retirement money, sharks feeding on those who run out of money, crooked staff who save machines for favourite customers and gambling addicts.

They really are a sad reflection on life in this country and it wouldn't be a bad thing for many to close.

In the past a mixture of arcade and fruit machines meant there was a good mix of people and fun and social activity to be had.

Going into one and coming out as well, is almost like going into and out of a sleazy adult only shop, where anyone who see you, makes their mind up as to the sort of person you are.

Edited by aaamusements, 16 January 2015 - 01:39 PM.
Spelling corrected

#7 nick_uk_911

nick_uk_911

The Flaming Moron

• Regulars
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Well i used to have quite a problem on machines, playing way to much and spending more than i could afford. 

Im actually glad of the fact the machines are shit these days, and the new £100 jackies in pubs was the final straw for me, i got burned many times on the £70 jackpots so knew trying to force £100 machines would not be a good idea.

I finally realised there was just no point in playing them.

If i want a punt now i play online, average RTP online is 95% or more, why the hell would i play a £1 stake in a pub with a machine set at a measly 72-76% to win a maximum of £100 quid, it just doesn't' make sense. 

#8 piesthecat

piesthecat

Creator'N'Stuff

• Regulars
  • 1047 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:48 PM

The only place i know with old fruit machines is southend / great yarmouth.. yarmouth has a £4 token jackpot of monty carlo or bust

#9 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

The life & soul went in about 1999.

#10 yorkstar

yorkstar

• Regulars
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Yeh I've played that Monte Carlo in Yarmouth 8 quid in tokens 10p play though I think in that smallish arcade, there's a few others in there like the original red monopoly, boulder dash , and some other bits of pieces, but in the main most arcades are now very dull with not much gameplay at all, and take cash in no time.

I do have a biggish classic seaside arcade left about 50 minute drive away, with, Andy Capps, road hog, roller coaster, and plenty of others, but for the rest of the country very hard to find these jems.

The only real source of proper amusements now is down in Maidstone at reel fruits, which I'm thoroughly looking forward to having a trip there soon.

#11 wearecity

wearecity

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

A few years back, I went into an arcade in Bognor Regis which had several old machines including Andy Capp set at £6 token, a couple of watch for my hidden treasures machines, including Golden Mile and some jpms from the impact £6 era like rollercoaster and Pinball wizard.

There was a good 10-15 late 80's early 90's machines. I remember I even said to the old guy running it, you've some great classic machines in here.

#12 1969kappa

1969kappa

South Park fan

• Regulars
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

Yeah same story for me I visit my local arcade every now and then and only like one machine in there (red gaming-Just like that) and if its out of order or some one is on it I walk out even when it pays it only goes for about £22 but I can tell within £5 if it's going so leave it after that and if I get £16 or over walk out also all the new machines are crap and robbing b'stards I lost about £70 in one I think it was Amazing maze or something like that and it put me off playing 

#13 wearecity

wearecity

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:12 AM

The AWP market, is virtually dead. It's only being kept alive by the numerous DOND machines and machines which have the DOND feature, even if not branded DOND.

I must admit, I do like the DOND type feature, but it's not offered that often, I guess because it can offer £7 or £8, after the first round of taking amounts away.

On the extremely rare occasion I play an AWP, it's in a pub and it's a case of put in a few quid, get a board, if a board is just mucking me around, avoiding certain square or goes from extra life, to lose to another ?, without adding anything significant and ends up offering no more than 2 or 3 quid, I take it if on the ? , or if lose, I just walk away.

I'm done with trying to force a machine and hoping after the 10th time of it killing me on £2 - £4, it's suddenly going to offer me £40, or £70.

#14 strider

strider

Up seven for melons.

• Regulars
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

I stopped playing fruities years ago now. One reason was because I was basically spending more than I could afford, and the other reason was the machines just seem to become less 'human' overnight.

Up until the mid to late 90's, a lot of the machines you could push and prod and make them play, but the ones today just seem absolutely soulless in comparison, although I have only played them a relatively handful of times. And the great thing about the machines in the early to late 90's, is that you knew that there was a good chance the odd machine would have a flaw that you could take advantage of once in a while, which just game them a slight edge and an air of an eccentric family member that would give you £50 when no one was looking. 777 Heaven was a godsend back in the early 90's when I was a young teenager!

#15 letmein

letmein

Advanced Member

• Regulars
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

Don't despair people, the great machines of the late 70s, 80s & 90s are alive and kicking on Fruit Emu, thanks to the brilliance of the

vast array of layout creators, Mods & All the admin staff who are dedicated to bringing us mere Members a lifetime of

nostalgic enjoyment.

So what if its not real? the Emus on here are as near as, so I for one ( and I'm sure I speak for ever one) would like to say a big thanks again to all involved.

:thumbs_up:

#16 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

cashino is a great example of a 180+ chain of arcades (praesepe) that have zero brain powered area managers. what I would give to get in there, sort it out and make money for the arcade and also lets the punter have FUN

#17 andrew96

andrew96

• Regulars
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:04 PM

Visit Reelfruits

http://www.reelfruits.co.uk/

fruitsmiley.gif

#18 slasherx2

slasherx2

• Regulars
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

Visit Reelfruits

http://www.reelfruits.co.uk/

I came to this topic to post this lol

• spa likes this

#19 wsad_920NW

wsad_920NW

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

The only place i know with old fruit machines is southend / great yarmouth.. yarmouth has a £4 token jackpot of monty carlo or bust

Great Yarmouth still has some pretty decent 5p-£5JP machines and still payout pretty decently when they want to, but the percentages have gone down a bit over the last few years.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex..It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. -

Albert Einstein

#20 ricardo de ponsa

ricardo de ponsa

Man Of Science

• Regulars
  • 1110 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

Hunstanton is probably one of the last places on the Norfolk Coast to find a good selection of classic fruit machines.

Don't come round and steal my Cheerios !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users