• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Just to bring you up to speed on the histroy on this.....

Got this machine just over a year back from on of the MPU Mecca members, with the intention of getting it running again.

From the offset, knew there was some damage to the M1v system board, in that it looked like the battery had leaked directly over the main power molex header on the board, and shorted it out pretty bad (Part burnt through the board), so obviously I had to do a large pile of patch wiring, or get a replacement..... both not easy tasks at all, but I managed to source another board.

Now to today..... another Mecca member sent me an untested M1v board, tried it, did not get far at all, so managed to source another one from Holland of all places (Came out of a Dutch version of Screenplay), to which the donor machine has a terminal screen fault (Bad on board caps it sounded like, and it's LOPT / Flyback cable was not looking that healthy).

I was assured by the seller that apart from this reported screen fault, rest of the machine was fine, so I should not really have cause to suspect the systemboard had any issues.

Board came with a nasty looking blue Varta battery attached, and true to form, it has just started leaking, but fortunately caught early enough to prevent any real visible issues with the system board.

Now using a known good working PSU (I suspect one of my PSU's has a fault, but the other seams fine) which I borrowed off a Mecca member, both boards give the same issues..... got all LED's lit, get random payslide chatter, Random lamps flashing, and meters randomly clicking over, which was better than my 1st attempt, as I could not even get +12v to light at one stage.

I have got reel 2 energised occasionally. and very briefly (Though this no longer happens), all reels stepping clockwise.

All status lights on the M1v lit, along with the two on the Digital Sound / Reel daughterboard

The monitor also refuses to power on, though I suspect a large 390uf 400v capacitor to be at fault, but I have been told that even with the monitor dead, the rest of the machine should at least power up and issue an error of some description, which unfortunately I am not getting.

Think what I need to do at this stage, is see if one of you nice members who has a M1v machine, to test the boards for me, so I can be 100% sure it's not the boards at fault.

Any help / ideas folks?

http://s233.photobuc...y?sort=3&page=1

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

I think I have a monitor for one of these. It was out of a joker poker conversion so it will have chronic screen burn. But it might be useful to someone for the chassis, and I need it gone soon.

Probably not a lot of help to you in the present situation but I thought I would put it out there.

#3 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

I think I have a monitor for one of these. It was out of a joker poker conversion so it will have chronic screen burn. But it might be useful to someone for the chassis, and I need it gone soon.

Probably not a lot of help to you in the present situation but I thought I would put it out there.

From what I remember from what Andrew @ Mr P's told me about the monitors on the M1v series machines, the monitors are a bugger to repair, due to the hertz rate they run at, which is higher than than what you would see in say a standard PC Monitor, and is why as of yet, no one has been able to convert one to LCD operation, yet something like a BWB Monte Carlo can be converted :(

#4 andrew96

andrew96

• Regulars
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

yeah the monitors run at 18khz scan rate, a standard tv is 15khz, and so it will be for a lcd tv using the scart 15khz.. a pc monitor starts at 32khz scan rate, so that's useless, one of those converters to supposedly enable a pc monitor to work actually doubles the scan rate so the normal 15khz (well 15,625khz) becomes 31/ 32khz which is in the range of the pc lcd. 18khz doubled.... well that's way outside the limits!

THEN you have the vertical scan rate! here in the UK it is 50hz, on the screenplay it is 60hz (I think it is as the last one I looked at was over a year ago now), so again any tv type monitor won't like it, those scan converters just let it pass through, so if its 60hz that bit is fine, but if your using 50hz like from a neo geo board the unconverted picture on a pc lcd just wont display correctly either.

so to sum it up, 15khz horizontal at 60hz vertical signal, will upconvert to pc monitor using one of those converters, if your lucky!! 15khz horiz 50hz vert you can use a analogue LCD TV scart input, anything other than that and you will struggle, UNLESS you can find a crt monitor as they can be adjusted normally to cope with the unusual frequency's, good old analogue!!

hope this helps, unless I have now confused the S**T out of everyone!!

fruitsmiley.gif

#5 andrew96

andrew96

• Regulars
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I did do a repair thread over on the reelfruits forum of the monitor repairing, http://reelfruits.cr...hassis)-repair/

I do remember having to get scan coils from Thailand for one screenplay monitor when they went up in smoke!, could not get them anywhere else!

fruitsmiley.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users