• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone owned a machine with this sort of reel?? are they reliable, easy to fix if broke?? 

At least I think thats what they're called, but I've heard they're a pain

The reason why I ask if because I may be getting a machine with a 'reel 4 err' which is that reel, was wondering what common problems are

cheers

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

Think they are called linear reels.

No reliability issues that I recall but they must have potential problems with band wear?

#3 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

I don't yet know the cause of the error... I hope its either a tab error or just needs a clean up. 

TBH, never had a reel issue ever, I even have a disc reel and never causes any issues

I can't imagine them being hard to fix...

#4 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

what machine is it? Some machines look like they have the triangle shaped reels but they are actually band reels.

baz

#5 mabby2000

mabby2000

• Regulars
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

I have a complete band reel mech, it came off a bell fruit Scorp 4 if any good?

#6 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

Yeah its not a triangle reel, its a band one like you say Baz. I've only ever seen the triangle one, but that was on an older machine

its a DOND machine, but its actually okay now... needs a clean on the edging of the band as the sensor seems to think that the 'tab end' is the black sensor sometimes and calibrates wrong on start up

but thanks for your help

#7 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

yeah thats the main problem with these reels. dirt builds up around the edge of the reel band which confuses the opto.

baz

#8 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

My ASTRA colour of money I used to have was band reels and if you cleaned them every 2-3 months were much more reliable than you would think!

Never had issue with mine apart from the first week I had it due to they had never been cleaned by the look of them.

Cleaned em all and never had a problem to the day I sold it.

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#9 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

Yeah its not a triangle reel, its a band one like you say Baz. I've only ever seen the triangle one, but that was on an older machine

its a DOND machine, but its actually okay now... needs a clean on the edging of the band as the sensor seems to think that the 'tab end' is the black sensor sometimes and calibrates wrong on start up

but thanks for your help

Glad you got it sorted. I've got a spare in the garage (complete with the band) from a DOND 'What's In Your Box?' if it's the same machine, as well as other spares from it - reels, buttons, e.t.c. if you needed them in the future :)

The only machine I remember working on with a triangular one was Royle Banker I think... pretty sure that used one, and probably other BFM machines where lighting 3 symbols 'opened' a superboard by changing board positions on a reel. Jackpot Junction, Count Yer Cash, that kind of thing.

Edited by Bencrest, 19 June 2014 - 06:12 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#10 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Glad you got it sorted. I've got a spare in the garage (complete with the band) from a DOND 'What's In Your Box?' if it's the same machine, as well as other spares from it - reels, buttons, e.t.c. if you needed them in the future :)

The only machine I remember working on with a triangular one was Royle Banker I think... pretty sure that used one, and probably other BFM machines where lighting 3 symbols 'opened' a superboard by changing board positions on a reel. Jackpot Junction, Count Yer Cash, that kind of thing.

Yeah it's the same DOND. Have you got the £5 decals? Would love that... I have 35 and 25 already. I'm sure some empire games had the triangle reel, like Korma khameleon. Personally I hate the reel as it's not reliable, especially on Reds!

#11 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Yeah it's the same DOND. Have you got the £5 decals? Would love that... I have 35 and 25 already. I'm sure some empire games had the triangle reel, like Korma khameleon. Personally I hate the reel as it's not reliable, especially on Reds!

Sorry for the delay in replying :)

I'm afraid I only have the £35 set. If I got it going I'd have sourced some £5 ones myself, but it blew up and destroyed two of my Scorpion 5 boards in the process so I took a sledgehammer to it. Kept the top door (inc glasses and plastics) but chucked the lamp loom and holders out so there's not any value in that really. Kept all the buttons, reels, PSU (although I'm not confident in the PSU so will probably chuck that too), hopper, coin mech and note acceptor - but put the notey into Club Clouseau :D

Edited by Bencrest, 21 June 2014 - 03:10 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#12 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:23 PM

As we are on the subject, I dug a couple of these out today. I can't honestly tell if they work or not by now, so if anyone wants them then they can have them for the postage cost and a donation to the site.

Attached File  142.JPG   187.85KB   2 downloads

Attached File  144.JPG   143.48KB   2 downloads

#13 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying :)

I'm afraid I only have the £35 set. If I got it going I'd have sourced some £5 ones myself, but it blew up and destroyed two of my Scorpion 5 boards in the process so I took a sledgehammer to it. Kept the top door (inc glasses and plastics) but chucked the lamp loom and holders out so there's not any value in that really. Kept all the buttons, reels, PSU (although I'm not confident in the PSU so will probably chuck that too), hopper, coin mech and note acceptor - but put the notey into Club Clouseau :D

Ahh thats a shame. I have the £35 already. luckily I don't need any work on the machine, apart from adding locks to it, and has a notey on it also, complete with the note box below.

but thanks for getting back to me

#14 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Ahh thats a shame. I have the £35 already. luckily I don't need any work on the machine, apart from adding locks to it, and has a notey on it also, complete with the note box below.

but thanks for getting back to me

No worries! I doubt I'll end up chucking any bits out so if you need any bits for it down the line give me a shout!

Not wanting to go off topic, but bet the belt reels are uber-reliable compared to the card mechanism a few Mazooma machines used about 10 > 15 years ago. The only machines I can remember that used one were Stir Crazy and a clone of it with a police theme.

Nice bit of kit to see in action, but I don't recall seeing one for ages, no doubt they got scrapped due to the scarcity of spares. That and they played a completely awful game, on £25 JP at least.

Ben

#15 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

No worries! I doubt I'll end up chucking any bits out so if you need any bits for it down the line give me a shout!

Not wanting to go off topic, but bet the belt reels are uber-reliable compared to the card mechanism a few Mazooma machines used about 10 > 15 years ago. The only machines I can remember that used one were Stir Crazy and a clone of it with a police theme.

Nice bit of kit to see in action, but I don't recall seeing one for ages, no doubt they got scrapped due to the scarcity of spares. That and they played a completely awful game, on £25 JP at least.

there was also 'Wet n Wild' but a clone of stir crazy was QPS Jail Break.... Abso loved that machine!!

infact, I think 'Pac Mania' might have had one??

#16 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

there was also 'Wet n Wild' but a clone of stir crazy was QPS Jail Break.... Abso loved that machine!!

infact, I think 'Pac Mania' might have had one??

Jail Break, that was the one!

I hated them but only because I watched a mate trying to force one once, and it didn't end well. Most of the other machines we played at the time responded well to a force. Actually put me off Mazooma machines for a few years :D

Yup, I remember seeing a Pacmania a while ago on eBay and you are right, it did have one.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users