• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smallgreenalien

smallgreenalien

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi

I have just obtained a phoenix knights fruit machine and it won’t reset. Can you help me please?

#2 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi

I have just obtained a phoenix knights fruit machine and it won’t reset. Can you help me please?

Can you elaborate more? When you say it 'won't reset', do you mean it won't even turn on / initialise? Does it have any messages / error codes showing on the display?

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#3 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

it sounds like the power supply or boards had it if its a epoch machine

#4 smallgreenalien

smallgreenalien

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:01 PM

I haven't collected it yet, a friend of a friend is giving it to me. All I know is that it lights up, and won't reset and that the current owner hasn't tried to fix it.

Im asking cos I'm worried I won't be able to fix it.

I have always wanted one but can't afford to buy one. So I thought that fixing up this one might be the way to go?  

#5 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

I haven't collected it yet, a friend of a friend is giving it to me. All I know is that it lights up, and won't reset and that the current owner hasn't tried to fix it.

Im asking cos I'm worried I won't be able to fix it.

I have always wanted one but can't afford to buy one. So I thought that fixing up this one might be the way to go?  

Well, there's good news and bad news.

Good news is that if it's free, there may be value in spares. That and the fact I quite liked the theme on these machines.

Bad news? As BB has said above, this hardware is notorious around here. It runs on Maygay EPOCH hardware, which is becoming more and more rare. Without seeing the machine it's hard to tell, but I'd expect the usual dead / battery damaged mainboard, so you'd be looking at £30 for that.

You will be unable to fix the mainboard. You can swap the mainboard out, but as above, that means sourcing a spare. 

That's assuming the PSU is OK... and there's every chance that's also going to be shot.

I would always take a free machine (I'm like that!) but in all honesty, do be fully prepared to spend up to £60 on spares, to get it 'up and running', That's assuming you are competent in spares. Then you might find other problems with it after - it's a risky business. I've taken on machine projects before and just ended up scrapping them for spares.

It's alright for people like me with shelves full of spares to get dead machines and try get them running, but I'd hate for you to end up with a complete money-pit.

Edited by Bencrest, 27 May 2014 - 05:38 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#6 smallgreenalien

smallgreenalien

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

Thank you Ben

Your advice sounds well grounded and helpful. 

I think as its free and I can borrow a van for free to get it, I will give it a go.

I will set myself a budget on it and if is going to go over I will take it apart for spares.

I have been good at fixing other things so hopefully I can apply my lucky touch to this. 

It would be wonderful to have one :-)

Fingers crossed that its a easy fix.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users