141 replies to this topic

#1 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

whats the best way to ask a person permission about doing coverting there layout when they haven't been on in over a year or no

and can all the past and present layout designer listed here

dad

tommyc

pook

vecs

ploggy

fusion

bugs

geddy

bruce george

and anybody else with a million alias on here or what ever you wont to call youselfs

can you get me a simple yes or no if you wont any of your layouts for amber

or let me know what you don't wont doing

Edited by banditboy2006, 26 April 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#2 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

It's fine by me use What you want just try and stretch my artwork out a bit as Amber likes em big on this subject of permission whilst we're t it I do lappy res layouts of which also require permission to use layouts for lamping purposes etc for Mfme emu.
so can people add my name to the permissions to please so I know where I stand also.
As said before how can you get permission if the creator has left or changed aliases do you just say f*** it and release it or scrap a possible new resolution layout?

Edited by vectra666, 26 April 2014 - 08:06 AM.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#3 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

sorry about posting this but this only seem the only positive way to do this after yesterday

and saves people opening a pm as they cannot be bothered

and once I get more answer I will do a master list so we know where we are

#4 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

Anything I have done mate you are more than welcome to use,

I have no issues with that at all, sharing is caring :)

what that means is yes you can use anything with my name on it, Samson81

#5 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

quite funny in my eyes. you dont ask permission from say barcrest who spent thousands on the design. you ask somebody who scanned it and loaded it into photoshop?

very polite of you, but rather ironic. (just my point of view)

#6 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

quite funny in my eyes. you dont ask permission from say barcrest who spent thousands on the design. you ask somebody who scanned it and loaded it into photoshop?

It is a valid as well as an interesting point of view... however Copyright as actual law is fairly complicated.

For anyone who can be arsed, and has the time and inclination to read further (and I quite honestly have neither at the moment), here is some further reading:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy.htm

#7 Deathclaw

Deathclaw

Emulator Manipulator

• New Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

So you think that making a layout is as simple as scanning in a image to Photoshop?

Dear lord.

Any way...

I don't want my layouts 'converted' into Amber. There is no point. MFME 3.x will scale the layout to be as big or small as you like. Amber allows images to be enormous, it pans and it scrolls. 

I really don't see any reason at all logically why people would want to just take some one else's layout and then convert it into Amber. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from it.

Just download a flyer/photos and make a layout from scratch.

Fruitworkz current projects..

Line Up Prototype.

Amber MPU3 Edition.

#8 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

So you think that making a layout is as simple as scanning in a image to Photoshop?

Dear lord.

Any way...

I don't want my layouts 'converted' into Amber. There is no point. MFME 3.x will scale the layout to be as big or small as you like. Amber allows images to be enormous, it pans and it scrolls. 

I really don't see any reason at all logically why people would want to just take some one else's layout and then convert it into Amber. There's absolutely nothing to be gained from it.

Just download a flyer/photos and make a layout from scratch.

Problem is (Certainly is the case on the sampled sound side of things), MFME in it's current public release (Unless you happen to be a member of the "Inner Circle"), has it's limitations, and after a number of years, has not seen any new public releases, and now with XP gone and Vista not far to go either, folks are looking at alternative solutions, and as Amber (Also not forgetting work being done on EPOCH) is pretty much the only current emulator being worked on, folks are now looking towards that, but as already shown with other MFME to Amber conversion releases, it's not always a strait forward process to do.

Another point I wish to make to you "AT" concerning another post of yours from another thread, is what do you expect banditboy2006 (and others for that matter) to do, when he tries to do the right thing, and gets no reply back, even if it was a quick message along the lines of..... thanks for asking bud, but no thanks???

#9 Deathclaw

Deathclaw

Emulator Manipulator

• New Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

Another point I wish to make to you "AT" concerning another post of yours from another thread, is what do you expect banditboy2006 (and others for that matter) to do, when he tries to do the right thing, and gets no reply back, even if it was a quick message along the lines of..... thanks for asking bud, but no thanks???

I expect layout designers to design layouts. Not take other people's layouts and re-release them after a couple of hours work converting them into a different emulator.

Let me put it like this. When I spend 30+ hours preparing images and putting in all the spade work I find it incredibly annoying when people just take my work and then hack it around and claim it as theirs.

Recently I watched one of my layouts being converted into Amber and the author was actually going to put in his own side art. I'm sorry, but that's just a complete f*****g pisstake. If you saw the original images of the machine you would understand just how much work went into making them even half usable.

An emulator scene does not just need two or three people doing the actual work and then ten people re-releasing those machines.

People should be learning how to make layouts, not steal them.

• ady likes this

Line Up Prototype.

Amber MPU3 Edition.

#10 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

It's always nice to ask! i ask were i can but there are some people who just cannot be bothered to reply,this statement isn't singling any one person out,it has happened many times,my motto is if there too ignorant to reply just go ahead and give em a mention in the credits.If they then don't like it and request for it to be removed then do so :) Regarding vectras post about using layouts for lamp positions,this is a different story as your still making a layout that you have made (using your own lamped artwork) I can't see any creator having a problem with you using their layout as a base,with newer scorpion 4 machines this isn't necessary as lamp test will tell you what each lamp is. Bottom line it's nice to be polite and reply to pm's who ever you are etc.

#11 Deathclaw

Deathclaw

Emulator Manipulator

• New Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

It's always nice to ask! i ask were i can but there are some people who just cannot be bothered to reply,this statement isn't singling any one person out,it has happened many times,my motto is if there too ignorant to reply just go ahead and give em a mention in the credits.If they then don't like it and request for it to be removed then do so :) Regarding vectras post about using layouts for lamp positions,this is a different story as your still making a layout that you have made (using your own lamped artwork) I can't see any creator having a problem with you using their layout as a base,with newer scorpion 4 machines this isn't necessary as lamp test will tell you what each lamp is. Bottom line it's nice to be polite and reply to pm's who ever you are etc.

It isn't that I can't be bothered to reply.

I, like many here I would assume lead a pretty busy life. I simply don't have enough time to sit and reply to countless pms all asking the same shit.

Like I said in another thread, I did not sign up to reply to pms.

However, as any decent human being knows if you ask something and don't get a reply it usually means no. IE - just leave it there.

Ignoring the fact that you haven't been given permission does not mean you are automatically granted it. I just grow sick and f*****g tired of people on the internet behaving in a way they would not behave in the real world.

But any way, trying not to digress too much - if there was a point to converting layouts into Amber then I would understand. But I can absolutely promise every one (and trust me when I say this as I know emulators inside out) that there is no logical reason why these MFME layouts need to be running in Amber. Amber is a different emulator.

As I have said many times - Nick did not spend years making an emulator for people to play MFME layouts. What the f*** would be the point in that if it offers nothing we didn't have before.

Take the time to learn Amber. It absolutely batters MFME from a design perspective, because it allows enormous artwork that hasn't been ruined by squashing it. It allows alpha blending, anti aliasing. God, where do I even begin?

Instead of spending your time learning how to use other people's layouts spend the same amount of time putting your brain to better use and make some layouts we don't have. Or, if you're dead set on a specific machine do it properly.

That's not aimed at you Tommy. I know who and who does not understand how to use an emulator properly and I know you have your skill set. Maybe it's time you made a comeback? I've got some artwork here if you're interested.

Line Up Prototype.

Amber MPU3 Edition.

#12 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

the main reason for converting mfme layouts to amber is for the online arcade part of it. This is a new part of emulation like I said before, where the player now can play machines in a state of playing like in a real arcade. example of online play is, say anditboy playing ding dong bells and took £50 out of it, I could come along and play it where he left it off so in theory I,d lose £50+ until the streak was obtained again. so instead of playing the mfme machines on your own you now get to play em with others, making fme even more realistic. as far as I,m concerned amber is the next stage in emulation. since it,s mainstream launch I,ve hardly played mfme. As said before cashcounter topic we only want the best looking layouts converted for amber and you should be privileged to be one of the few creators who,s layouts have been done for th e future of fme emulation.

As ttommy said earlier when I use others work its only for the lamping positions and maybe rarely the machine only on the background art of which I re-light in my own way like tetris.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#13 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

It isn't that I can't be bothered to reply.

I, like many here I would assume lead a pretty busy life. I simply don't have enough time to sit and reply to countless pms all asking the same shit.

Like I said in another thread, I did not sign up to reply to pms.

However, as any decent human being knows if you ask something and don't get a reply it usually means no. IE - just leave it there.

Ignoring the fact that you haven't been given permission does not mean you are automatically granted it. I just grow sick and f*****g tired of people on the internet behaving in a way they would not behave in the real world.

But any way, trying not to digress too much - if there was a point to converting layouts into Amber then I would understand. But I can absolutely promise every one (and trust me when I say this as I know emulators inside out) that there is no logical reason why these MFME layouts need to be running in Amber. Amber is a different emulator.

As I have said many times - Nick did not spend years making an emulator for people to play MFME layouts. What the f*** would be the point in that if it offers nothing we didn't have before.

Take the time to learn Amber. It absolutely batters MFME from a design perspective, because it allows enormous artwork that hasn't been ruined by squashing it. It allows alpha blending, anti aliasing. God, where do I even begin?

Instead of spending your time learning how to use other people's layouts spend the same amount of time putting your brain to better use and make some layouts we don't have. Or, if you're dead set on a specific machine do it properly.

That's not aimed at you Tommy. I know who and who does not understand how to use an emulator properly and I know you have your skill set. Maybe it's time you made a comeback? I've got some artwork here if you're interested.

I can see what your saying here, and agree with most of it :D as for making a come back i need a new pc as my current set up is no good for running amber,It is just a basic 32 bit pc with nothing much else going for it.I need to upgrade now as mine has the xp os so this isn't gonna be any good now without the updates.

Would be good if someone could give me an idea of what spec i would need for amber to run without any problems,then i can start creating for it as well.

#14 Deathclaw

Deathclaw

Emulator Manipulator

• New Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

I can see what your saying here, and agree with most of it :D as for making a come back i need a new pc as my current set up is no good for running amber,It is just a basic 32 bit pc with nothing much else going for it.I need to upgrade now as mine has the xp os so this isn't gonna be any good now without the updates.

Would be good if someone could give me an idea of what spec i would need for amber to run without any problems,then i can start creating for it as well.

I've actually just built a professional workstation solely for design work. I don't like using my gaming PC because it eats 800 watts under load. The workstation is six cores and only uses 60w on the CPU, under 1/3 of what my other PC uses.

Line Up Prototype.

Amber MPU3 Edition.

#15 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

Online play, dimmed lamping, reel symbol masking, and reel bounce come to mind. Unless MFME secretly supports them?

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#16 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

3GHz+ Core2Duo or I5/I7 Cpu, 4+GB RAM, a proper (not onboard) graphics card made within the last year or so (low end is fine). And Windows 7 64 bit (though this is really up to you). Will run it a treat.

If you have a choice of CPU's L2 cache size is king for Amber.

Edit to add: This will also run PA2 just fine when the time comes too.

Edited by Guitar, 26 April 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

It is a valid as well as an interesting point of view... however Copyright as actual law is fairly complicated.

For anyone who can be arsed, and has the time and inclination to read further (and I quite honestly have neither at the moment), here is some further reading:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy.htm

Funnily enough I was reading this yesterday. Basically 50 years from January 1st in the year after the ROM was made, before its copyright free.

So if a ROM was made on July 22nd 1983, the copyright runs for 50 years from January 1st 1984.

I've been trying to find out who owns the rights to the Castle ROMs. The tech was definitely sold to ACE to become spACE tech (early spACE boards are marked Castle Rev 3). But I can't find out if the IP rights were sold to ACE entirely, or just the tech. Otherwise the Castle IP still probably belongs to Dave Powell.

It all gets very messy, which is why as a group we really should try to piss off the manufacturers as little as possible. So far they let us have pretty much free reign to do what we do in FME land. Just thank god they aren't Nintendo.

#18 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

whats happens when it goes past the 50 years mark whos owns the rights then

#19 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

and before you kick off at me for no reason

this is one nearly done my self no help from anybody

guitar has only ever done me one chr

I know I cannot do the reel masking

here is jewel in the crown the mmfe dx was damo x but he hasn't been online in over a year so no point asking for permission as I will be waiting for a while

I have it done to 2 little problem before the reel masking can be done as circled red in this picture

1. the 3 nudge lank is only very tiny lamped for some reason

2. its needs a horizontal number

I cannot put the lamps through the lamp importers as its broke

Attached Files

#20 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

whats happens when it goes past the 50 years mark whos owns the rights then

They are then viewed as public domain. But be aware that trademarks would still be in effect so you would have to carefully word things if you wanted to reproduce items. You would also have to be wary of patents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users