• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ant2110

ant2110

• Regulars
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi all, 

Just wondering what the impact is going to be on us when the new coin replaces the old?

I am assuming that all the £1 hoppers will need to be changed - or at least the discs? 

I am hoping that the validators can be upgraded in some way to accept...

Ant.

#2 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Coin acceptors can mostly be reprogrammed. Hoppers and tubes will be problematic, unless the coin is the same basic overall size.
Older machines will present difficulties if not.

Having thought about this a bit though, if the coin is completely different it could be a good argument for the Gambling Commission to become a bit more relaxed about the sale of much older machines...

#3 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

I'm guessing they will be the same overall 'volume' to prevent problems with tubes and hoppers...

It was bound to happen eventually tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if 5-10% of all pound coins are counterfeit now

#4 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm guessing they will be the same overall 'volume' to prevent problems with tubes and hoppers...

It was bound to happen eventually tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if 5-10% of all pound coins are counterfeit now

I think its more like 50% 

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#5 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

I think its more like 50%

The official figure is 3%, but 5-10% could well be closer the mark.

In my own opinion 50% is not in any way realistic but I would be interested to hear how you came up with that figure...

#6 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

A slightly off tangent thought on this...but on-par too...

I was helping a post-master friend move this week as his PO is being upgraded.

Basically I had a bucket of mixed coinage handed to me and I needed to segregate different values so he/we knew what we were counting.

There were (once the coinage was split) many ways of totting up, a fair few of the ways were by manual means eg:- plastic strips (as in a tube as was said)..so it's not just the fruit-machine industry it's a whole range of businesses....on saying that it surely has to match the size and weight?

If it don't we may as well join the Euro now and be-done-with-it rather than have to do it all again.

Why the hell the *Bank Of England can't just make it the same size and weight but in the way a £2 coin is created is beyond me.

*Note to self, no I remember now, they are numskulls that don't think of cost outside the wall's of the BoE nor proof read as the 2012 20p piece shows us......

I like the fact that counterfeiting is being addressed, but why were those in the knowledge of dealing with coins not even polled on what may be a solution?

#7 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

As an aside I am looking forward to it. As a coin I think it looks fantastic.

Also the schoolboy in me wants to hear the old jokes about thruppenny bits, he says in a Sid James-esque way.

bj

#8 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

Will we need to re-do all the emulator layouts to accept the new £1 coin?

:rolleyes:

Posted Image

#9 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

Bollocks to us who own old machines

#10 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

I can't stand the newer 5p and 10p coins, just will not go in any of the machines.

Edit: just saw a pic of the coin for the first time... It would be amusing to see if the fruit machine read it as a 50p lol.

Edited by hurricane, 21 March 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#11 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

A slightly off tangent thought on this...but on-par too...

I was helping a post-master friend move this week as his PO is being upgraded.

Basically I had a bucket of mixed coinage handed to me and I needed to segregate different values so he/we knew what we were counting.

There were (once the coinage was split) many ways of totting up, a fair few of the ways were by manual means eg:- plastic strips (as in a tube as was said)..so it's not just the fruit-machine industry it's a whole range of businesses....on saying that it surely has to match the size and weight?

If it don't we may as well join the Euro now and be-done-with-it rather than have to do it all again.

Why the hell the *Bank Of England can't just make it the same size and weight but in the way a £2 coin is created is beyond me.

*Note to self, no I remember now, they are numskulls that don't think of cost outside the wall's of the BoE nor proof read as the 2012 20p piece shows us......

I like the fact that counterfeiting is being addressed, but why were those in the knowledge of dealing with coins not even polled on what may be a solution?

To be fair this is a proposed design rather than a done deal. To quote the Mint:

"A public consultation will be held over the summer focusing on how to manage any impacts before a final decision is made on the precise specification of the new coin, including the metal composition. 
The Royal Mint will work closely with key industry stakeholders to conduct a full consultation in order to understand the potential impact for industry."

Maybe it's time to register interest in participating in the scheme.

The Mint announcement is here:

http://www.royalmint...ew-1-pound-coin

along with some details about the way that iSIS (Integrated Secure Identification Systems) is designed to help prevent fraud.

For the industry as a whole it'll probably be very useful, although there will of course be a lot of changes required to the actual machines.

I doubt they're overly concerned about old fruit machines, but I suppose it would be possible to make them work on old cabinets?

#12 I have finished

I have finished

I will never finish in FME here!

• Regulars
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hi Ant, I actually have no idea about what new pound coin you're talking about. I did hear something, but I thought it was all a myth. I heard it was meant to help us blind and VI people because I do admit we get our coins confused apart from the 50p and 20p's. They're all the same freeking size and shape! I also can't get along with notes.

#13 aaamusements

aaamusements

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3508 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hi Ant, I actually have no idea about what new pound coin you're talking about. I did hear something, but I thought it was all a myth. I heard it was meant to help us blind and VI people because I do admit we get our coins confused apart from the 50p and 20p's. They're all the same freeking size and shape! I also can't get along with notes.

Very good point, it's something else that those of us with sight just don't consider.
Notes must be a nightmare, hopefully it will be addressed with the promised new polymer banknotes.

Here is the info, direct from the source:
http://www.royalmint...ew-1-pound-coin

#14 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

The new 10p & 50p are made from different metal, not the same weight.

#15 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

Just reading about this new £1 coin apparently the weight is between the old 22g and 24g est. Also reading the £5 & £10 notes are being changed for plastic ones around the same time. Back to £1 again they say the new comes out in early 2017 and the old ones being phased out within six months so by 2018 the old £1 will be no more.
So what does this mean to us fruity collectors at home will we have to reprogramme our noteys and how would we do the coin acceptors etc.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#16 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

Also reading the £5 & £10 notes are being changed for plastic ones around the same time. 

John has probably seen One, I was in Scotland last year and they already have them there.

Typical of England though, Use Wales, Scotland and Ireland for a trial!

#17 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

it will cost the coin-op community a packet to get changed over. most operators will get the new coin, have it updated on each validator and then update the validator again to remove the £1 old coin option.

a few thousand per arcade.

#18 bri365

bri365

Master Joker

• Regulars
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

I hope they changed the name of this from Project isls?

Come here to post jokes, oh and to play the occasional frutie.

#19 russ8s

russ8s

• Regulars
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

it will cost the coin-op community a packet to get changed over. most operators will get the new coin, have it updated on each validator and then update the validator again to remove the £1 old coin option.

a few thousand per arcade.

So just a small business expense to continue trading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users