• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 robinhood75

robinhood75

medieval mentalist

• Gold Supporters
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

8 weeks tomorrow I fly away to the Philippines for a 3 and a bit week trip. Now the furthest I've been is Greece and there was quite a few things nibbling at me and I ended up looking like a spotty teenager at one point. I am wondering what are the best items to use for a country like the Philippines? I know they have lots of mozzies and other biting incests and I must be like an open platter to them. I did try all sorts of bug spays etc back in 2003 when I went to Greece but nothing seemed to work. I know you can buy nets for the beds which is a must for me and also you can get things to plug into the wall but I need something I can put on my skin which will make me taste so bad that they don't want to eat me.

Does anyone know of any decent creams, spays etc that are decent and I am not too worried about the cost as it will be worth it if it works.

Cherrs

What's yours is yours and what's hers is yours

#2 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Been to North Africa a couple of times and the Mozzies are a nightmare. Take plenty of creams and sprays, those plugin things do seem to work, also handy to have aircon in the room. That way you won't need to have the windows open. I'm sure Boots have a good range of bug repellants, but they do smell and need be to washed off later.

Don't know what nasties await in the Philippines, might be worth a visit to the docs to see if you can have a jab to sort any problems.

However insects and nasty buzzy things won't be the problem. Food and water will be, believe me. Take great care when visiting any country in the places you eat. Having survived  Compacta Virus in North Africa I take this very seriously. In this country our food chain is much cleaner than other countries and so we have not built up a resistance some bacteria.

Just take care and common sense, hope you enjoy your holiday and report back with some pics please.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 16 February 2014 - 10:32 PM.

#3 robinhood75

robinhood75

medieval mentalist

• Gold Supporters
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

I will be staying with my girlfriends family, they have kindly let us use a 2 bedroom bungalow for just me and her not for from the village where her extended family live. It has all the mod cons etc as it is used for holidaymakers. It is fully air conned and has nets at the windows and doors I've been told. Someone was just telling me about a product from Avon called skin so soft which is a good repellent but have not seen this product before.

I have been to the doctors already for my injection and tablets so that's all sorted. i have just completed a food hygiene course and was tald about what to look out for over there, when I was in Greece I only ever drank bottled pop Coke etc or bottled water and used that same bottled water to brush my teeth.

I will be eating mainly at her families place but guess we will be eating out a few times at least so will always be sure where the food has come from . Would like to see it walking about in front of me first before it's between my buns lol.

#4 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

Sounds like you will be OK taking all those precautions, at least you are not in a tent in the middle of nowhere. Spoke to Mrs RDP and she reminded me that we used a natural oil based insect repellant called Citronella which does not have any of nasty chemical smells.

Here's a link to a blog about it, I haven't bought any for a long time but I'm sure it is still available.

http://citronella-oil.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 17 February 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#5 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 17 February 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#6 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Also another thing mozzies hate..... anything high in vit B12, like Marmite.

Obviously don't spread it on yourself unless you want to look like a turd, but eating anything like that permeates through the skin, and will work like Citronella.

Also be worth scouting local health food shops like Holland and Barrett, and see if they do have Citronella Oil in.

Also worth while drinking Tonic Water, as one of the ingredents in it called Quinine, is also an anti-malaria treatment.

#7 robinhood75

robinhood75

medieval mentalist

• Gold Supporters
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Just found this and am surprised out own toddles didn't mention it seeing as he is a wee Scott....

Sounds like it could be just the thing I'm looking for while still helping to keep me looking gorge ;)

http://www.scotsman....rines-1-1403152

#8 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

Also worth while drinking Tonic Water, as one of the ingredents in it called Quinine, is also an anti-malaria treatment.

Does Gin dilute it?..................please say NO! Stan.

#9 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

This should repel most things..............................

#10 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Does anyone know of any decent creams, spays etc that are decent and I am not too worried about the cost as it will be worth it if it works.

Cherrs

I wouldn't go that far :D

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#11 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

Does Gin dilute it?..................please say NO! Stan.

Correct..... just depends on the amount of tonic water you consume, not what you add to it ;)

#12 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

Correct..... just depends on the amount of tonic water you consume, not what you add to it ;)

Hope you have a good time in just over Seven weeks time now TEMP.

I'm going nowhere but I don't agree with Stan, I think i'll have to just test this to convince myself  :cute:

#13 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

I've heard that jungle formula is the best. Not tried it personally though as I don't tend to get bitten.

#14 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

wear this t-shirt jimmy-savile-peedo.jpg

sorry i know its in bad taste  :nah:

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#15 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

And is it just me or do all paedos wear those yellow tinted glasses ?

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#16 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

And is it just me or do all paedos wear those yellow tinted glasses ?

lol, if I was you i'd amend that post to read...

And is it just me that thinks this, but do all paedos wear those yellow tinted glasses ?

It now has a whole new meaning PM as I suggest you meant it to be mate hahaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users