#1 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Well its the wettest winter on record with more to come only two whole dry days since beginning December

(25th/12 and 30th jan), here in the west country we're gradually disappearing what with the somerset levels to the south  and the severn just north of gloucester going under water, the river where my parents live and where i work has been overflowing the road for a week or more, rises up by say 12 inches goes down by 6 then up again by another 12 Probably going to overflow into the factory tommorow (wednesday) also drains down there been overflowing sewage every time it rains, now the Thames valley being overran with the wet stuff with no let up in the storms in the coming week 

.whats it like where you live any stories or images.

Attached Files

Edited by vectra666, 11 February 2014 - 09:06 PM.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#2 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Things not too bad here, but the rivers are looking quite high.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 11 February 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#3 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

we,ve got heavy rain tommorow upto 60mm,s showers on thursday followed by another storm on friday/saturday my heart goes out to all flooded in the past month i know how they must be feeling going through my parents have several times '99 2000, 2001 2007 at least lucky they,re escaping it so far.

As said via PM ricardo, thunderstorm would've loved this topic/weather God rest his soul may he be looking down from above on the inland ocean below

The picture above is the road down from my mothers/work it'll be deeper tommorow going across the field back into the river then behind our factory/mill the river splits into three sections a culvert already overfull, a waterfall, about a foot from overflowing and through sluice gates all open to max but waters hitting the top nearly

Edited by vectra666, 11 February 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#4 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

New rain gauge is showing 97mm since I installed it mid-January.. That's nearly 4 inches.

North of Gloucester is a nightmare and Worcester is just as bad. I cannot remember the last dry day we had here. Certainly before Christmas. The only bonus is I have only had to scrape the windscreen half a dozen times this winter.

Train to work is funny. The scheduled journey is to Paignton. This has slowly become to Exeter, then Tiverton, then Taunton and now, this week, it is terminating at Bristol Temple Meads. If you want further south on that line you have to get on a bus. Admittedly the engineering works at Whiteball tunnel haven't helped but trains are really all over the place.

Hope you can still earn money Vecs and the factory doesn't flood and they lay you off.

bj

#5 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Thanks barcrest last time in 2007 we had 3foot within the building luckily all machines still worked but four at a  £1/4 million each if they went bang that would,ve been it, threw loads away as we make paper products bags etc boss said if it happens again they ain,t insured for the loss so basically thats it. Everything we,ve made since December has been put on four pallets high just in case and flood defences have been put up nightly since start of jan the car parks turned into an outdoor swimming pool and got swans on the field too 

#6 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:03 AM

No insurance and £1m worth of machinary, wtf?

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#7 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

Dr foster went to gloucester... 

This is britain, its like living in the desert and being surprised its sunny and hot, While the amounts are exceptional, we have been warned that our abuse of global energy will result in extremes in weather, so until people/society makes a link between the two we will continue to see "rare" weather events become the norm, look out tomorrow for a big storm moving in for the north and west of the UK.

In other countries they deal with this by building their houses on stilts, seems extreme but what you gonna do buy a big umbrella.

And one last comment about our disgraceful government, when asked about the floods at first we got " its never rained this hard in 300 years what are we expected to do" then "its not our fault we got bad advice" then " we all need to work together and stop arguing" they are a ****ing disgrace, While I agree its not anyones fault they should have stepped in a lot sooner maybe dredged the odd river who knows but I bet those rivers get dredged this year.

http://www.environme...ods/142151.aspx

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#8 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

No insurance and £1m worth of machinary, wtf?

Asked boss about insurance and yes we are but at a much higher amount and higher excess from flooding

#9 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

We've been fine in Spalding, despite being pretty much on (or below) sea level. Not aware of any flooding in the local area, although Boston flooded a couple of months back which was surprising.

Something odd yesterday (a relative speculates it may have been a mini-tornado of some sort), but it went from being 'a bit windy' to being about 10 seconds of sustained VERY strong wind. Picked up the garden bench and threw it across the garden, bowed the fences inwards (they sprung back after) and blew loads of leaves into mum's bedroom upstairs, which I've never known before. Also had a bit of hail at that point, which it wasn't doing before. Dad said he could feel the house move at the time (possible, I was lying in bed on my laptop at the time and noticed the noise but not any movement as such).

Just odd - it wasn't particularly windy at the time, then went crazy for 10 seconds, then back to normal 10mph or so winds immediately after.

Edited by Bencrest, 12 February 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#10 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Been ok up near East Midlands Airport, despite having 3 major rivers converging around the Trent Lock / Sawley Marina area, and even more of a surprise, is that the main road past the marina has not flooded, nor has the main yard across the road at Marshalls.

So, been VERY lucky here so far, concidering what has gone off going in to the West Midlands and down south.

#11 fruitman69

fruitman69

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1098 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Not being funny, but if you build on flood plains and have houses on river banks your always going to be at risk.

They have known for years that there is now a greater risk of flooding, they should have been dredging the rivers and reclaiming flood plains for the last few years.

I do feel sorry for the people that are affected, course I do but anyone who said they didn't see it coming is an idiot, they been warned for years, and I would not be surprised if it wasn't till may+ before all the surface water has cleared from everywhere. My prediction is more rain to come this month, march and april.

Follow us on facebook http://www.facebook....131728946893342
www.reelsoffun.co.uk

#12 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

how things are carrying on i am thinking of moving abroad to my family state side`

#13 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Not being funny, but if you build on flood plains and have houses on river banks your always going to be at risk.

They have known for years that there is now a greater risk of flooding, they should have been dredging the rivers and reclaiming flood plains for the last few years.

I do feel sorry for the people that are affected, course I do but anyone who said they didn't see it coming is an idiot, they been warned for years, and I would not be surprised if it wasn't till may+ before all the surface water has cleared from everywhere. My prediction is more rain to come this month, march and april.

The models all indicate that this up coming St Valentines Day storm will be the last within the foreseeable future. After Saturday the Atlantic flow looks to be slowing down considerably. At least 1 model has the cold pool to the east spreading west and being over us 8 days from now. I am pessimistic on this, but I do think the interminable rain and wind will let up after Saturday. However I absolutely agree regards the surface water not being gone for months in some places.

bj

#14 corel

corel

• Regulars
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

too windy here aswell. We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz

#15 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

just nobody makes sure they will take a brolly out with them tonite as we dont wont any mary poppins

#16 policematrix

policematrix

• Regulars
  • 226 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

so true in some of the places they introduced new building regs to have houses built on higher foundations, and yes "april showers" , well imo this is a result of warmer sea temps rather than the world heating it just transfers the heat to the atmosphere and more rain and wind basically energy is produced that drives the jet stream, but yes anyone who is shocked that coastal, river bank or flood plain houses flood when we have loads of rain should not be. I i used to live up a mountain and we got endless snow and often lost electricity when the rest of UK was unaffected its the same up scotland they suffer some of the worst weather has to offer but not a peep out of them as soon as "down south" gets anything its a massive news story.

My advice move up north we are used to it and maybe choose the house at the top of the hill ;D 

As for long term forecasts (anything over 5 days) you might as well take a wild guess no computer can predict this with any accuracy it basically plays out what has happened in the past which is great if the weather is behaving normally, those of you who know your weather will remember the other year when we had sudden stratospheric warming and all of europe was plunged into arctic air, also the models pay no head to the only source of heat the sun which is at its solar maximum but is firing less than its solar minimum, last time this happened we went into the "mini ice age" http://guardianlv.co...ice-age-on-way/

Edited by policematrix, 16 February 2014 - 06:51 AM.

hand-drawn-animated-gifs-dain-fagerholm-

#17 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:32 AM

well, woke up this morning and the sun was shinning bright!

#18 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

well, woke up this morning and the sun was shinning bright!

My car was frozen when I finished work at 07:30 but it was certainly nice and bright, and barely any wind. 

Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#19 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

whats that blue stuff outside...... ahh yes its Sun i think won,t last though more rain tommorow but getting better no floods yet been very close at the weekend 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users