• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'm having to do something that I never thought I would have to do and that is to sell Fruit-Emu.  Things have massively changed in my life over the last 6 months that have meant that I no longer have any time to maintain the site, I can't pay for it anymore and to be honest I need the money.  Moderators and admins for the site have already been given first refusal on the sale and I'm no opening it up to all members.  Ideally I would like the site to go to someone in the FME community as I know it would be looked after but if no-one is interested then it will be sold to a wider audience.

In an ideal world I would give the site away but at this stage that isn't an option for me as I've put too much into the site.  I would assist with the transfer of the site to another server/VPS and would be willing to give technical support during any transition.  The site cannot be hosted on a shared hosting platform as it would be shut down pretty quick due to the server resources it uses.  Here are some statistics for the size of the website:

Webspace Required for Site

Total size of web site = 41Gb

Attachments = 19Gb
Downloads = 11.5Gb
Screenshots = 1Gb
Gallery = 4.5Gb

Database Size = 484Mb

Website Income

These figures are for advertising income and for donations combined:

Jan 2014   £67
Dec 2013   £112
Nov 2013   £60
Oct 2013   £133
Sep 2013   £96
Aug 2013   £225
Jul 2013   £36
Jun 2013   £51
May 2013   £76
Apr 2013   £57
Mar 2013   £66
Feb 2013   £91

There are possibilities to monetise the site further but I've only ever attempted to cover hosting costs.

​The sale would include the transfer of all software licences for invision board.

If you are interested in making an offer for the site or have any questions then please PM me.  Ideally I need payment via Paypal as I can't have any money going through my bank account at the moment.

Alan

Click here to view the article

xeepi_logo_email.png

#2 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

TY for all you have done Duplu.

People seem to think sites run on thin air....

#3 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hi Alan.

I am very sorry to hear that you have to sell the site. This was my first home when I ventured into emulation and whilst I maybe frequent other sites more these days I do still visit here at least daily.

I do hope you sort out the issues you have IRL and that the sale is successful to someone who wants to see the site continue. I also hope you don't disappear from the scene completely after the sale is concluded.

Regards

Gazza

EDIT: and of course, thank you for everything you have put into the site over the last number of years.

Edited by barcrest junky, 29 January 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#4 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Deeply saddened that your personal life has changed in the last few months and hope it can be resolved at sometime in the future. I've never underestimated anyone who has the time and resources to run a website. It's a thankless task  and time and money disappears very quickly. I thank you for all you have done for this site over the years and hope someone is bold enough to carry on your good work.

Regards

RDP.

#5 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yes, thank you Alan for everything you have done for FME,  I imagine this announcement will come as a bit of a shock to some people who tend to think forums run themselves. 

Could anything be done just to host the database and link all downloiads to skydrive or something similar?

#6 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

i know somebody who could offer hosting to a certain extent possibly

Edited by banditboy2006, 29 January 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#7 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yes, thank you Alan for everything you have done for FME,  I imagine this announcement will come as a bit of a shock to some people who tend to think forums run themselves. 

Could anything be done just to host the database and link all downloiads to skydrive or something similar?

Unfortunately it's not the hosting costs as the site pays for itself.  I need a bulk sum of money basically to sort out some short term problems whilst my situation is resolved.

xeepi_logo_email.png

#8 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Unfortunately it's not the hosting costs as the site pays for itself.  I need a bulk sum of money basically to sort out some short term problems whilst my situation is resolved.

I know what you are saying. Truly I wish you that it can resolved quickly.

#9 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Omg just read this and got a lump in the throat. I'm devastated, sorry to hear you're having to do this. If it's sold to an outsider will it be on the conditions it's kept as an fme site. If you're really selling it or should I say have to would it not be possible for all the members to Chuck in and buy it then let dad or ady take over the running.

#10 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Sorry to hear you can no longer maintain the site, you've built a great community here...  Hope everything works out okay for you and your family :)

I might possibly be interested...  However I'd be seriously concerned about hosting copyrighted content.  I know everything here's been in the public domain for a very long time and a lot of the respective companies no longer exist.  It's still a risk though and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it.

#11 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Omg just read this and got a lump in the throat. I'm devastated, sorry to hear you're having to do this. If it's sold to an outsider will it be on the conditions it's kept as an fme site. If you're really selling it or should I say have to would it not be possible for all the members to Chuck in and buy it then let dad or ady take over the running.

I wouldn't be able to guarantee the first part as I can't stipulate those conditions.  Yes, the second part is definitely a possibility.

Sorry to hear you can no longer maintain the site, you've built a great community here...  Hope everything works out okay for you and your family :)

I might possibly be interested...  However I'd be seriously concerned about hosting copyrighted content.  I know everything here's been in the public domain for a very long time and a lot of the respective companies no longer exist.  It's still a risk though and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with it.

Lol, don't worry I used to collect cease and desist notices from lawyers but haven't had any now for years.

xeepi_logo_email.png

#12 killcrazy

killcrazy

• Regulars
  • 257 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

What did the cease and desist letters refer to?  Were they takedown warnings for certain content?

Edited by killcrazy, 29 January 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#13 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

What did the cease and desist letters refer to?  Were they takedown warnings for certain content?

Yeah I had a few for hosting certain roms and artwork but to be fair most of the time the manufactures turned a blind eye.

#14 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yeah I had a few for hosting certain roms and artwork but to be fair most of the time the manufactures turned a blind eye.

Exactly, I used to get more for the sims - especially when someone did Barcrest's Elvis.

xeepi_logo_email.png

#15 spa

spa

Layout Designer

• Moderators
  • 2494 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Very sorry to read this :(

But as always, personal circumstances should always come first. Hope it all works out for you :)

http://www.youtube.com/FruitVideos - My youtube channel

https://drive.google...R3ZTMTBIQTdwWUU- My Drive

#16 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

so sorry to hear this sad news..

I do hope somehow it can be saved...

many thanks for all the years of hard work you have put into Fruit-emu and also to everyone else that has put here.....

if I can I would chip in somehow to help save the site if say DAD or Ady could run the site......???

#17 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

sorry news indeed but im sure duplu has put lots of thought into it. 

i sincerely hope a like minded FME supported takes it over to ensure its right direction.

#18 wearecity

wearecity

MFME v whatever the next version number user.

• Gold Supporters
  • 1672 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Sorry to hear, you need to sell up.

Hopefully a suitable buyer will be found.

Whilst I'm no where near the most active forum or site visitor, I hate to see the site completely go.  :)

#19 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems duplu hope they get resolved soon. This sites been a home to me for the last few years a warm friendly place much better than Facebook a site we all know and love would be a shame to see it go like dadsfme, fruityfans etc. If someone does take it on then fare play to them but there's the financial cost which no one can afford. So idea's,
What is the actual cost of running the site, if the members paid for it then it would cost next to nothing per member. We've 10,000+members right say a 1000 regulars firstly we need to make it easier to donate not everyone had PayPal but most have bank accounts. So there could be a yearly subscription say a pound per membership when the years up its another pound if you don't pay that pound then your membership ceases and you have to renew the membership all new members could get a free months trial. just a suggestion.

Edited by vectra666, 29 January 2014 - 10:56 PM.

The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#20 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

To cut down on bandwidth and costs, a move could be made towards bit-torrent. As long as only FME stuff is hosted and no Music/Video it should be fine.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users