Photo
- - - - -

How to get started ! and Possible DX for Electrocoin's Sphinx v2 set 1( NEED FLYER OR MACHINE AND HD CAM IF POSS )

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

oh to enable the artwork, might not come up as default, press tab , video options, should be able to select it in there if you popped into your artwork folder

#22 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

other thing that needs doing, the feature board needs rotating 90 degrees anticlockwise. would need to change lamp co-ordinates , might take a screeny of mame, load it into photoshop and match the res the layout was made for. then rotate in photoshop and get x-y-z from the marker. hell of a lot of lamps to move round.

#23 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

having to look at the ecoinf3.c code, spotted a few things i think.

PORT_BIT( 0x20, IP_ACTIVE_LOW, IPT_BUTTON3 ) - exchange button me thinks , think the little red button

also.

DECLARE_READ8_MEMBER(ppi8255_intf_d_read_c)
87   {
88   // guess, what are the bottom 4 bits, if anything?
90   int ret = m_optic_pattern | (ioport("IN0")->read() & 0xf);
92   // | 0x80 = reel 4 fault
93   // | 0x40 = reel 3 fault
94   // | 0x20 = reel 2 fault
95   // | 0x10 = reel 1 fault

i think these are the index reel checks mentioned in the manual ( thanks spa, i found your post for the pyramid h/w manual) haze had problems with the sound, unsure of the chip. according to the manual , its yamaha based, unsure of the number, if anyone has the machine, and able to take a picture of the board , would be really helpful.

I'm going to mail haze with what ive found, rather than do my own build, im hoping he might be able to work with me on this one.

#24 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

have mailed el-condor at agemame, hopefully he can pass on my findings to haze and get the ball rolling a bit more. I know he's busy so im not holding my breath. If the reel emulation becomes 100% accurate and the exchange button mapped. sphinx should be playable.

#25 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

small update, on the agemame site, a modified .lay file has been posted for doctor who.  The new lay file add's the correct changes for the layout to work with the new mame.  Anyone interested in having a go should go straight for this, will need the original .zip to get the images from.

#26 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

in the meantime , to keep myself busy im going to start working out and posting the lamping setup.  theres a way to get mame to bring up a x-y marker while ingame. and use the mouse to look at co-ordinates. i could just work out the layout looking at the locations, but this might be quicker for pinpointing a specific lamp.

#27 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

hmm can only get the x-y marker if i make it a lightgun game , probs just gonna figure the x-y and do lamps that way.  soon as i sober up ,will post some later, ive started adding some decals and images to the layout. i want to get the feature board playable later :).

#28 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Been spending a while looking at the ecoin_200step , this is call in the steppers.c/.h that sets the reel pattern.  Mame has emulated the reels with a half step motion,. so for 1 step of a reel , its actually 2 steps. you can see in the emu that when nudges come up , the reel moves, but then completely looses position.

people get this fault on the real machine where the reels wont stay in alignment. So there must be a reel index check that modifies the motor input as the reels spin. this will probs determine final location. When reading through the pyramid hardware manual, i notice the reels checks match a optic, so i dunno if the optic input could be the final position of the reel. If the board outputs a index check that calls a stop to the motor. or if it is something simple with the reels only half stepping when should be full steps.  either way , its one of these 3 or maybe a couple of them.

Its looking more and more likely i will need to start building my own custom build of mame (for testing), also i want to try and switch the sound driver to a yamaha based chipset and see if i can get proper output.

the other silly thing the reel problem could be, i noticed the reel emulation is working in reverse.  as the nudges sometimes move up , im just wondering if it could be that.

If anyone wants a pop at trying to figure this out , look here

http://mamedev.org/s...steppers.c.html

at the ecoin_200step_reel entry. it could be the above mentioned things, or could just be the motor input needs doubling or something. im going to get the source and see what i can come up with. 

#29 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

also just as a note , the pyramid h/w manual can be found here

https://docs.google....p=sharing&pli=1

#30 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

great knowing none of the new visual studio express installs don't work with windows 8.1

#31 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

small update, going to produce a fruit-emu only version of mame for testing, i dunno if anyone has seen how long mame takes to compile, even on a quad-core , takes some time........

i also need to fully understand the emu , which is where im struggling a bit, going to really delve into c# and look into it, might be a little while before i post anything new , but this side of things needs to be sorted before anything else can happen really.

i have a working temp layout for sphinx, but without the machine being emulated properly its a bit of a waste.   I noticed all the mpu 4 games in mame have the 3.2 lamp error , i might put the hack in , get this working then people can move/create new layouts for the mpu 4 machines in mame.

hopefully in a few days i will know enough about z180 functions and the ports that are emulated.  From here i can look at whats happening, debug the motor inputs , understand them.  and hopefully work out a way to get the emulation in-line.  maybe look at the stepper emulation a bit more.  Unfortunately i know nothing of these things or how they work at the moment.

hopefully a bit of time and dedication might get me somewhere, i hope so.  Will keep you all posted.

#32 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Many thanks for the info etc,look forward to hearing more updates as they come.

#33 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

Would you possibly be able to port the mame emulation code over to mfme source and build a version of mfme?  It would be pretty awesome as the editor in mfme is pretty easy to use to create layouts.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#34 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Whatever you do though is fantastic, it's great to see you getting into this and it's a major help to the fme scene.

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#35 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

I still think this needs to flag up on the home page when a new post is made like all the other threads :)

#36 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

it is Tommy mate...

...Follow the first post down on the front page, and you will see how many posts and comments have been made to it - yours was last, until I've just added this :)

http://www.fruit-emu...5#commentsStart

All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#37 niallquinn

niallquinn

• Contributor
  • 723 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Somehow missed this thread....thanks for it!!!!!!!!

Cheers.

BF (NQ).

#38 richy1976

richy1976

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 2601 posts

Donator

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Any more progress?

#39 tga

tga

• New Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

things are a bit slow :/ been looking at the motor input a tiny little bit.  I will hopefully get a little time this weekend to plough on with it.  I should be able to post a Fruit only version of mame a bit later. Should aid with the compile time , so making changes and playing about will be a billion times quicker.

moving the emu code from mame to mfme could be possible, but would need author's permission and also would need to figure a reel step system within mfme, it would probs just be easier to modify the mame code till i can get it working accurately.

Lookin at the manual , some of the dip switches need to be off for the machine to work correctly, i also noticed some changes to the chr display when having a play.  So i think this needs a little investigation.

Hopefully will post a bit more later :)

#40 captainhaddock

captainhaddock

Layout Designer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

thanks for keeping us updated tga :)

Dave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users