• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Do any of you guys have anything to say about quicksilver high street amusements good or bad ?

#2 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Not too bad i suppose, same as nobles low tech machines on 90% high tech on 82-86% Just like nobles they have gone the data way with there machines so everything has been updated and the games are pretty shite now.The electrocoin stuff is pants now,.

#3 mabby2000

mabby2000

• Regulars
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I liked the original rank owned quick silvers back in the 90's! There was a quick silvers in Cheltenham but that's long gone now. There's one arcade in town called cashino. I rarely play in arcades, usually have a dapple online !

#4 nick_uk_911

nick_uk_911

The Flaming Moron

• Regulars
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Passing through Newquay today we stopped in a quicksilver arcade, £30 lasted about 10 minutes haha, gone are the days where i would enter an arcade with a wad of notes

#5 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

arcades are changing but nott necessarily at the arcades choice. i have it on good authority that some nobles are struggling to cope with keeping the older electrocoin stuff going, quite simply the support for old reel based machines is not what it used to be.

barcrest as we know have abandoned the reel based sector in favor of the video (triple 777) based machine. for me the who buzz was the reels spinning. something not many b3 machines have ever been able to pull off.

astra has a one hit wonder with slotto. it hit the streets when it was £2 a go section 16 and boy did it take off. there were slottos everywhere. the latest astra stuff is shit (imho). its the same core code rebadged.

electrocoin made fantastic granny machines, but dissapeared.

JPM have made a minute come back. lets hope when it goes £10 20p they seize the opportunity to bring some old favorites back

bellfruit still make the old granny machines, but their passion seems to be in pissing people off with DOND. 

in a dream world id love to see barcrest, or at least its original designers break away and start production again. JPM have a chance here and Reflex also have a stab at making it in the cat c/d market. id like to see 20p/50p/£1 pushers, prize vend would be a nice comeback, progressive linked wide area jackpots need to be implimented.

oh - and put the fun back in arcades! lucky colored coins that come out put you in a draw, prize crane grabber for winners enclosure. more free draws, tea coffe cold drinks and snacks as standard for all paying customers. the list goes on

#6 banditboy2006

banditboy2006

Part of the furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1442 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

quicksilvers %'s are 25 jackpots are 86

all the 5 pound stuff is 82

the odd 35 lotech is 90

70 quid feature games are 84

#7 nick_uk_911

nick_uk_911

The Flaming Moron

• Regulars
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

pissing ppl off with DOND haha, very true... i mean there's like 50+ different types of DOND and more being made all the time, its ridiculous, and even other fruit machine companies have copied the DOND mechanics..machines such as Take it or Leave It, Bank Job etc.  The only £70 i have actually enjoyed playing and that plays quite fairly (as in your able to collect a half decent win when its not in the mood) is Electrocoins Dragonfire

http://www.electroco...p?product_id=43

Funny though, one of the features is called " DEAL OR NO DEAL", they just couldn't resist could they...lol

I'd like to see some of the early 2000 Barcrests made into £70 Jackpots, they did it with Psycho Cash Beast (PCB 2), they should have made £70 versions of others Austin Powers, Arabian Nights, Spiker the Biker etc but hey ho that'll never happen now, before we know it the jackpots will be upped again probably to £100 and will play even worse that ever 

#8 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

I gave up playing high techs a few years ago,there rather shit dond or there is an exploit on em so the machines are always on their arse £35 jp just about killed the appeal of high tech machines.

#9 vectra666

vectra666

No1. Lurker

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9040 posts

Donator

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I remember quicksilver early 90's in stroud glos couldn't go in there till 93 as to young lucky for me there was the small arcade around corner or the "silver rooms" top of town that let anybody in corner arcade had mainly the £4jp's from late 80's a load of classics of which I've re-emu'ed a few and the rest I play regularly in emu form.
But from 93 my quicksilver demise began classic's like roller coaster, red alert on new £15jp afaik, then the old skool £4.80's fireball 777heaven bar-x to name but a few I rarely played these 1 I couldn,t get on em due to popularity and 2. I thought to win an extra 80p for 20p play nah I'll stick to my £4jp's nudge quest cash counter then I left quicksilver for a few years due to working in holiday camp upon my return came the 25ers partytime of which I never really played till 2002. Bring it to present day unfortunately like most arcades they,ve brought in shit from the manufactures with the obvious dond shit as I've0said many times before there's just no playablity in modern machines with the exception of astra,s reel based slots and maybe some electrocoins multi players but if arcades don't change then they will either all close or just be member only clubs with only hi-rollers in them I feel the rot set in when they introduced £35ers and now with £100 will it ever end but in 10yrs most gamblers will probably be online that's where I play now and visit quicksilver to play and even win.
The more I do today, The less I do tomorrow.
Fme is alive and screaming into the 21st century!
Enjoy FME and Happy Gaming!!!!

#10 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

I haven't been in a Quicksilver for years but they seem to have a good reputation, if they're the ones I'm thinking of.

One of the many problems these days is that most places have all the same stuff as each other because only a few manufacturers still exist, so when something good comes out everyone ends up getting one.  And even then they perform worse than 10-year-old Legacy stuff on lower jackpots, and when you look at the fact that the new machine will probably be video-based and expensive to buy, it's easier to send it back and get a few bits from the second-hand market rather than spend £8k on something that will be gathering dust in November when the season ends.  Legacy stuff still has more going for it; lower stakes and jackpots for better entertainment, and none of the minimum game time restrictions that blight today's stuff.  Plus it pays for itself straight away.  The current Cat C stuff is having to compete with B3; 25p/30p play £25 jackpot machines don't - they are almost a sub-Category; Cat C 'lite'.

There's a big opportunity for a company that can see past Deal or no Deal and come up with something genuinely refreshing.  I believe this could come from a newer, smaller company that has a more modern approach and is more switched on to how the Industry is now, and can actually sit down with a blank canvas and come up with something really different.  When you think about it, most ideas are subconscious rearrangements of things we have seen before, so to take things in a new direction and do it properly will require genuine innovation from those new to the Industry with no preconceptions, and experienced people to nurse the idea along and get the best out of it.  I just can't see this coming from an established company; they are simply ripping each others' ideas off and trotting out the 'based on a proven formula' line every time.  I think some have lost touch of what today's players want and the depth of game they look for.

I can't see 20p/£10 happening this time round as it will be deemed socially irresponsible as far as under-16's are concerned.  As a Cat C sub-category for over-18's it might have been interesting though...

Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#11 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

The last time is was at the Quick Silver in Liverpool they mainly had low tech Bar X's at £25/£5 JP's and a Sit-down OXO Club £25 (i think). Also they had Crazy Fruit clones at £5 Hockey Cokey £5. 

They had very little in terms of £70's they had 3 Tripple 7 cabinets at £70 and about 3 B3's as well, oh and 1 Deal or No Deal and 1 Pacman both £70.

I think it was early this year that i went. Plus near by there's anothere acrade called Showboat which is mostly Electrocoin and Astra with 4 Barcrest Sit-down £70 terminals and a 4 player Sit-down Rainbow Riches Community £500 and the odd high tech £70/£5.

#12 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

well said steve

#13 bullionbars2011

bullionbars2011

• Regulars
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

i have 5 quicksilvers in hull and there do good just dont catch them on refill day coff coff thursday!

#14 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:52 PM

other than hi-techs, refill day should not make the machines behave any different than any other time. example -

1, if a machine is on the verge of a double £500 jackpot but only has a quid in the hopper - it will still pay it.

2, if a machine is full topped up (£1000 hopper) but has just paid a massive run, it will bleed you dry.

with the advent of note acceptors, a hi tech machine could have taken £1000 in notes but paid out say £200 in coins/change. it could be totally buzzed up ready to pay but the note acceptor light is out. it is in no way an indication that the machine will not pay out. see note #2 which also applies to high techs. 

imagine playing a DOND that had just done a treble - but its topped up...... good luck forcing that bad boy!

#15 matrix2021

matrix2021

• New Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

There is one near me in Hartlepool and I don't rate it very highly.  They used to give players £2 freeplay when actively playing, they then scrapped that for a loyalty card scheme where you'd scan your cards for points - this lasted about 3 months and was also scrapped...they now have nothing in place, not even a silly game of bingo. The machines haven't been updated in ages either; they have a Let's Play DOND and a Star Wars New Hope on £70 and a DOND Dream Factory on £5jp which is predictable as hell (get on the board after £10 in, get MS for £5 or £10 then dead until the next board £10 after).  Lots of Diamond 7's, OXO's and two multiplayers (Party Time Arena and OXO) with the obligatory Triple 7's and £500jp's.

The only other notable arcade in this town is one called Royal Gaming, which is not a chain to my knowledge but is ten times better.  Up-to-date machines, pleasant atmosphere and decent promotions (daily scratchcard for cash, freeplay and points, a daily draw for £15, £10 and £5 which rollsover and Bingo on the hour for £5 freeplay).  Speaking to other players and the staff, the majority think Quicksilver has really gone downhill which is a shame because a few years back it was pretty decent with a regular turnover of machines.  Sounds tragic, but I much prefer to play the machines in the local Mecca :)

#16 DjSkinUp

DjSkinUp

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Thought i would just add to this post for those of you that use Quicksilver. Quicksilver has now been taken over by Talarius from Australia. Quicksilver arcades across the country have declined and i personally wouldnt recommend playing in them. I used to play in Quicksilver, but i dont No More. I would rather get my fix off fruit emu site and play some of my old favs. Also alot of Quicksiler arcades are now starting to close. More people are now gambling online. Also the free plays you used to get are only on £25 jackpot machine or higher. Gone of the days of £5 for £5 free plays when you walk in. You will also find not many arcade players left now. I as in a quicksilver in another part of the country, was in there from open to close. 8 customers all day. So my advice is leave quicksilver arcades alone. 

http://www.talarius.com/

#17 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

@ DJ yes i'd rather get my fix off of emulation sites too.

Looking at that link, it suggests the on-line side of the business to me rather than the high-street side.

Once again here is an example of 'the High St' being less profitable than the net.

#18 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

i visited the quicksilver in clappham today.

i have to say, its almost identical to nobles. my point of view however is that in striving to match a company that has its own proven way (and faults), they have merely mimicked another companies vision, leaving the customer with no real choice in regards to playing different machines.

magic games, triple 777, bar-x, couple of joker pokers couple of hi-techs and a few bellfruit timeless collections and you got a nobles. however.... if you want a big mac you goto mcdonalds, not bobs burgers... 

#19 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

The one in Regent Street in Gt Yarmouth has closed. Not a favourite venue at all.

Went in one in Ipswich years ago at Easter. They were giving out coffee and sandwiches. Then they were giving out chocolates or cigarettes????? WTF!!!! Mental!!!!! Didn't like them and never darkened their doors again. The staff were OK, it was just the way it was run, didn't feel right. A bit weird!!!

#20 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

i visited the quicksilver in clappham today.

i have to say, its almost identical to nobles. my point of view however is that in striving to match a company that has its own proven way (and faults), they have merely mimicked another companies vision, leaving the customer with no real choice in regards to playing different machines.

magic games, triple 777, bar-x, couple of joker pokers couple of hi-techs and a few bellfruit timeless collections and you got a nobles. however.... if you want a big mac you goto mcdonalds, not bobs burgers... 

Basically what i said in post numnber 2 ;)

Not too bad i suppose, same as nobles low tech machines on 90% high tech on 82-86% Just like nobles they have gone the data way with there machines so everything has been updated and the games are pretty shite now.The electrocoin stuff is pants now,.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users