- - - - -

Gerry Anderson - R.i.p.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Gerry Anderson died yesterday after suffering from dementia for several years. Many will remember him for the  futuristic 'Thunderbirds' series in the 60's. Also many other programs including the budget busting 'Space 1999'. He was an inspirational man, combining his his technical skills with puppet animation.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in the late 70's, at an RTS meeting at Anglia television. A gentleman with a stunning vision of the future. Also he knew how to make a good explosion with the maximum effect.

#2 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

Play Tester for anyone...

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

It was such a shame to hear this news late yesterday afternoon :(

I grew up with all his shows.

What he and his wife did for childrens TV in those days were top of the class shows for the era they were done in.

Top quality explosions etc made the shows seem before ahead of time.

I have got the complete series of Captain Scarlet on DVD and some of the Thunderbirds ones also, I still watch a few now and again and until now you probably never gave it a thought on how it was brialliantly made.

R.I.P Gerry, a pioneer in his time.

Edited by thunderstorm, 27 December 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#3 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I had the pleasure of receiving a message from him from the Alzheimer's Society when I was first diagnosed... his foresight into the future was quite accurate really... a real visionary - and a wonderful man.

Be at peace. 

All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

=======================================================

speed

#4 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

Thunderbirds was brilliant as was Captain Scarlet.  Not so keen on Joe 90 or Stingray.   I've still got a Tracy Island which I won't let my grandkids near until they're old enough to play with it without breaking anything lol

Who remembers getting these out of kellogs cereal?  I could never make Thunderbird 3 without snapping the bugger as it was so fiddly to do.  Grrrrrr

Attached Files

#5 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:45 AM

Gone to live with John Tracy in TB #5 :(

#6 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Wonder if anyone will add some strings to him, so he can come back to life  :nah:

Posted Image

#7 conna

conna

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

I have a JPM Thunderbirds fruit machine which stopped working about the same time as Gerry Anderson died, strange that.  I have power to the motherboard and the Red status light is on but that's it.  Any ideas anyone?

R.I.P. Gerry.

#8 1969kappa

1969kappa

South Park fan

• Regulars
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Had a Thunderbird 2 toy as a kid way back lol and lost the toy out of the cargo hold awfully upsetting AHHHHHH I'm having a flashback pmsl .No great show R.I.P. to the man who gave a lot of pleasure to kids of our era 

#9 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

It's what he would have wanted. I think.

#10 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Love Thunderbirds, used to collect various Tie-Pins and whilst clearing my loft a few weeks back I found a set of Thunderbird Ones.

I also have my PC sound as 5-4-3-2-1 Thunderbirds are go on boot-up..

Jeeze can you balieve i'm 47 lol.

Was sad to hear this, a true part of my childhood.......thanks to Blue Peter I even had a Tracy Island :)

#11 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

When i met him at a Royal Television Society Lecture in the late 70's, he brought along a massive model of the 'Eagle' transporter from 'Space 1999' (the one in the grave yard pic above). It was made of brass tubing and cost £3000 (in the 70's) then!!!.

He built futuristic models, my fav was Thunderbird 2 with the modules, and the mole. Oh dear Iv'e gone all moist!!!!

Captain Scarlet had problems with the Mysterons. You can get cream for that LOL!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users