• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

Play Tester for anyone...

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

Does anyone here use this free music download?

I have downloaded it tonight and I can select the tune I want fine but the moment I click on burn the program freezes solid, also totally freezes the rest of my laptop so I have to turn off my laptop the wrong way by not shutting it down properly.

This has happened both times I have tried it tonight.

#2 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Warning , do not use Bearshare , its riddled with spyware trojans and all sorts of other nasties that cause your PC to grind to a halt.

More info here : http://www.auditmypc.com/bearshare.asp

My reccomendation is to use torrents , but if you must use P2P software use Shareaza its open source and free from all the bundled crap that comes with Bearshare.

http://www.filehippo...nload_shareaza/
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#3 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Thanks todd, I will now swiftly remove this from my laptop.
If I don't come back quickly you will know it has crashed my laptop for the third time tonight !

Edited by thunderstorm, 30 October 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#4 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

It is not showing up in my control panel as BearShare under add/remove programs ??
Does it show up as a different name?

http://www.filehippo...nload_shareaza/

That link takes me to BearShare again :(

#5 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

If that link is genuinely taking you to Bearshare, then it's hijacked your browser lol. You'll need to run anti-virus and spyware removal programs immediately. Don't do anything else on the lappy (.e.g. online banking) until you've cleaned the mother out.

For a start, go into Task Manager and find any suspect processes. Shut them down then clean up.

It's also advisable to CHECK what you are installing in future before you install it. A quick look on Wikipedia would have told you that this is risky software.

#6 nick_uk_911

nick_uk_911

The Flaming Moron

• Regulars
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Try this anti virus software its pretty good imo -

http://download.cnet...4-10804572.html

or

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just beware when installing anything from download.com these days as all the installers will try to get you to add additional software such as toolbars/install google chrome etc etc...so when running the installer always uncheck all the optional tick boxes for extra software.

#7 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Dont use add/remove programs from Windows , although it does remove it .. it leaves behind all manner of junk in your registry , system 32 , program files folders..youll never be fully rid.

Use a program such as Your Uninstaller : http://www.ursoftware.com/ , there are others out there , but that one i think is the best.

Then as nick says run a malwarebytes scan on your system , it looks like as Dougsta says , hijacked your browser .. it may have set your homepage to something totally different.

#8 Guest_Brownbag_*

Guest_Brownbag_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have used it in my past year's, Arwin is on their too (Where ever she went ?).. I think the program is fine but better alternatives for media downloads. Bearshare use to be P2P now it's a mix of P2P but mostly rips the audio direct from utube search engine so poor quality transcodes and upcodes etc

Edited by Brownbag, 31 October 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#9 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

Would 'Norton' find these hidden programs/ junk folders also??

#10 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

What do you mean Taylor , would Norton remove all traces of Bearshare , if so then yeah i presume so , Norton would defo see it as a threat and remove all possible files associated with it.

Cant be 100% on this though as i dont have much experience with Norton , never used it before.

#11 Taylor525

Taylor525

Owner and Parts Seller

• Regulars
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

What do you mean Taylor , would Norton remove all traces of Bearshare , if so then yeah i presume so , Norton would defo see it as a threat and remove all possible files associated with it.

Cant be 100% on this though as i dont have much experience with Norton , never used it before.

Yeah, that's what I meant.. Good, as I downloaded it months ago and deleted it pretty much straight after

#12 xvxvx

xvxvx

• New Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

You will be lucky if norton would find anything,remove that pos av and throw the disk in the bin .norton is the only av I know that LETS you get infeccted then tells you ..
Run187/runinc/judas messias and probably a whole load of other names have been used by me here..

#13 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

You will be lucky if norton would find anything,remove that pos av and throw the disk in the bin .norton is the only av I know that LETS you get infeccted then tells you ..

Yeah , might be worth your while doing a Malwarebytes scan as well Taylor , i dont rate Norton at all , hence ive never used it.

Norton might be all well and good and 'as good as the next program' , you'll never find an AV product that can protect you 100% though.

#14 Guest_Brownbag_*

Guest_Brownbag_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

So true, My experince exactly for years I was under Norton. Not only would it not protect but it links you to 'self help' guides to self remove the virus your self by instructing you to go into the registry and all sorts

Yeah , might be worth your while doing a Malwarebytes scan as well Taylor , i dont rate Norton at all , hence ive never used it.

Norton might be all well and good and 'as good as the next program' , you'll never find an AV product that can protect you 100% though.

Maybe not 100% but at least protect's me from downtime, I use an Anti-virus(Avira), System Restore (DeepFreeze) and Backup (Acronis) also Vmware is nice piece of software to expermient, play and test with

Edited by Brownbag, 02 November 2012 - 01:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users