• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

Has anyone used the Microsoft offer to upgrade their Windows computer?

Last year I brought an Acer Touchscreen PC all-in-one. It had Windows 7 Home Premium on it preinstalled with all the software bundles you get from a new PC package. I also had a legitimate version and product key for Windows 7 Professional, so I created a boot partition, and dual-booted into Windows 7 HP or Windows 7 Professional.

I have paid for the Windows 7 Home Premium to be upgraded to the Windows 8 Pro edition for £25… and it did it effortlessly, kept all my programs, settings and libraries - and even kept the partition for my own Windows 7 Professional as well. The interface is much more friendly for touchscreen than Windows 7 was, and the gestures more accurate too. I love it!

I have kept my Windows 7 Professional partition, because I can have a legitimate version of Windows XP Mode on it. From the Microsoft site, you can download Windows XP Mode and run Windows XP virtually through your Windows 7 host machine - and because it keeps the original sounds from Windows XP - you can play FME with synth sound perfectly, without any imperfections in any of the play. The digital sounds in Windows 7 and Windows 8 are OK and have improved greatly, but the sounds from Windows XP will never be beaten in my honest opinion and I prefer to have Windows XP over any operating system I have ever used. In fact my MacBook, which has Mac OS X Snow Leopard installed has Bootcamp on, and I have installed my own legit version of Windows XP Professional on a dual-boot with it - great for listening to my music and playing FME - I love it too.

So, to sum up on Windows 8… it is the most radical Windows transition up to yet - and the way that all computers will be going eventually… I might as well make the most of it now whilst I can before I won't be able to keep up tech-wise.

You all have a wonderful computer era ahead of you. :)

Well done Microsoft - I love Windows 8!

What are your views on the new Windows operating system? :)
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

=======================================================

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#2 cashbox1

cashbox1

The furniture

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

i upgraded to 8 without the microsoft offer ;) didnt think much of it TBCH ,i think it will be another Vista....

Einstein`s theory of FME 90 downloads = 3 thanks

#3 James

James

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Donator

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

My dad bought and installed it yesterday using the upgrader.

He reinstalled 7 today.

#4 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

I tried Windows 8 when Microshite were trialing it , with the option to buy on its official release date.

Have to say it is quick as fook etc , but the whole GUI of it just looks shit , i know they are probably aimed more towards touchscreen machines..but its not pleasing on the eye at all.

Windows 7 is what i have been using for the last couple of years , but if i had a prefrence it would be XP all the way..i cant see Win8 being that popular.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#5 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Agree with Toodles. I love XP and all the touchscreen stuff is wearing out my fingerprints. I won't be indulging, unless I end up with a tablet with it pre-installed to replace my iPad.

bj

#6 corel

corel

• Regulars
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

I installed a trial of windows 8 about 2 month ago it is the biggest pile of poop microsoft have ever released. i couldnt wait quick enough to get back onto windows 7.

I feel sorry for them brainwashed into believing its "dead good".

#7 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I like the idea of a Windows 8 tablet, assuming it uses a proper Intel or AMD CPU and would be capable of running MFME. Think about it - a 1366x768 tablet, running in portrait mode, would give more playable area than a 1920x1200 monitor. The possibility of lovely sharp emulations that I can play by tapping my fingers on the screen - mmmmm...

I know it's possible now, but I'm waiting for the prices of proper tablet PCs running proper CPUs to drop - for example, the 'proper' Microsoft Surface, running Intel rather than an ARM CPU.
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#8 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Nothing wrong in Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, works OK for me!!!
Or even Amiga O.S. LOL.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 30 October 2012 - 09:19 PM.

• pbb likes this

#9 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Nothing wrong in Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, works OK for me!!!
Or even Amiga O.S. LOL.

OMFG

bj

#10 Daryl

Daryl

Forget it... I do!

• Inactive Users
  • 2671 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

My very first computer, when I first ventured into them in 2000, was one my late father brought me, secondhand, for £40, using Windows 3.1+

1GB hard disk drive
32MB Ram
200Mhz Processor
No Internet!

I don't know how I coped! :p
All The Best

Daryl

My blogsite is here: click the icon --->   :computer:

My name is Daryl, I was born in 1965 and have been into FME since 2002!

On 23 June 2011, I was diagnosed with Alzheimers Disease  In November 2012, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and Parkinsonian Syndrome too.

I can be found at:

My new blog-site...

...or at Facebook here: --> https://www.facebook.com/daryl.lees

Visit my website on the icon above for my WebBlog, or pop over and see me on the social media at  ---> Daryl on... Facebook.png

speed

#11 gemini17

gemini17

GOLD Supporter

• Regulars
  • 1751 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Agree with Todd too.I have xp on my pc and never had a prob!
I have windows 7 on my netbook and it is a real pain in the ass!!

I would rather have the control,as I have with xp.With 7 and I believe 8 too,its the computer v.much takin over.

XP rules :err:

Jay

#12 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

Play Tester for anyone...

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

The news are saying that in a years time almost every household will have either a tablet computer, a smart TV or a smart phone in their possesion.

I wonder if this will be the case.....

#13 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hey BJ,
Still got one of the first Amiga 1000's that came here in 1985 and it still works!! Complete with PC sidecar. £2000.

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 30 October 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#14 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

Off topic yes, but I have my Commodore 64 up in the loft :spinny:

#15 corel

corel

• Regulars
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

My very first computer, when I first ventured into them in 2000, was one my late father brought me, secondhand, for £40, using Windows 3.1+

1GB hard disk drive
32MB Ram
200Mhz Processor
No Internet!

I don't know how I coped! :p

a computer with no internet is like having cornflakes with no milk ! :biglaugh:

#16 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Hey Thunderstorm WTF is it doing in the loft????
Corel what's wrong in having cornflakes with no milk??
Windows 8.....Let's hi jack this thread
My favourite O/S / Computer. LOL

Edited by ricardo de ponsa, 30 October 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#17 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hey BJ,
Still got one of the first Amiga 1000's that came here in 1985 and it still works!! Complete with PC sidecar. £2000.

im envious as hell m8, to this day i`d swap my setup for a a1200 tower with all the works

#18 thunderstorm

thunderstorm

• Inactive Users
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hey Thunderstorm WTF is it doing in the loft????

I haven't used it since the late 1990's
It is in a box up there and I haven't opened it for over 10 years, who knows there may be a family of spiders or mice living inside it by now :biglaugh:

Who wants my Commodore 64, my Sega Mega drive and Playstation1 all working, I think ?? for a bargain price of ......................................

#19 Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*

Guest_ricardo de ponsa_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

im envious as hell m8, to this day i`d swap my setup for a a1200 tower with all the works

Don't blame you M8. never had a 1200. Still got a load of 500's and 600's plus the err Ahem software.

#20 nick_uk_911

nick_uk_911

The Flaming Moron

• Regulars
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

I have a 5 year old Acer Aspire running vista and to be honest i am very happy with this pc! Ive only ever once had to do a factory restore and vista does everything i need!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users