• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

I have been using this AV for a while and even though its really good it has developed this really annoying habit..

Every morning when i turn my PC on the icon goes from green to orange..'potentially unprotected' ..says you have not done a scan in a while on your PC we recommend you do one now to ensure protection.

I done one this time yesterday .. and the day before ... and the day before FFS !!! Anyone else use this having the same problems ?

Ive been through all the settings etc..cant see where to turn it off.

So what i was thinking of doing was dumping it and going to another AV..what would anyone say was the best...free and provide 'real time protection' .. good detection rate and very low false positives.

Not AVG , McAfee or any Norton product.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#2 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

Bullgaurd loooooool

http://www.bullguard.com/

#3 fruitsnappa

fruitsnappa

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1304 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

I use Avast Free. Never had any issues with it.

#4 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

I have used Avast and it's pretty good too. If you want something beefier (and have a reasonable PC spec) you might want to check out Comodo. It requires a bit more tweaking than Avast! though.

#5 ryanz

ryanz

• New Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

avast free gets the thumbs up from me or avg free
Posted Image

#6 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

Anyone use Avira .. think the last time i used that it was flagging up every 2 seconds with false positives..that was ages ago though dunno if they have imporoved it any.

#7 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

I use Avast Free. Never had any issues with it.

I have used Avast and it's pretty good too. If you want something beefier (and have a reasonable PC spec) you might want to check out Comodo. It requires a bit more tweaking than Avast! though.

avast free gets the thumbs up from me or avg free

I agree

#8 Guest_barcrest junky_*

Guest_barcrest junky_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

I use Avast on my desktop - has such a small footprint - just loads new definitions when you first log-on and that's it. No dramas or go slows. On my lappy I use Comodo. As Magz says - requires more tweakage, but excellent product.

bj

#9 knt

knt

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Just setup a Scheduled scan every week from

Settings -> Scheduled scan

and once it's done it'll go back to green. It's like not setting it up to do automatic definition updates.

#10 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Cheers for the replies guys..im on Avira at the moment but i may try Avast again tomorrow or summat..it just kept hanging on 'finalizing installation' :bigeyes09:

#11 Bandits

Bandits

• Regulars
  • 1124 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Another great programme to use is malwarebytes, some trojans always got past my AV and past super anti spyware but nothing gets past malwarebytes and i use the free vesrion very good, CCleaner is a good free registry cleaner with lots of other bells and whisles on so to speak.

:) Hold Yer Plums Or Go For The Melons :)

#12 RUKI2909

RUKI2909

• Regulars
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

get a imac dont need any ;0
Posted Image

#13 staceyparish

staceyparish

• Banned
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

Anyone use Avira .. think the last time i used that it was flagging up every 2 seconds with false positives..that was ages ago though dunno if they have imporoved it any.

Me, I use 'Avira Premium Security Suit 9', Occasionaly i'll get false positives most notably with invalid digital signatures. I use Vista transformation pack 8.5 to mask the visuals of xp for vista which overwrites a couple core signatures or something Idk.. apart from that I'm fully contempt with Avira though i have stressed the latter versions are complete whack and refuse to upgrade. Avira run 3month & 6month promotions all year round circulating different regions of the world this time we're in Germany and it's brought to us by Western Digital :) I have to resort and relay on these promotions as these keys will support any product version past or new where as the keys uploaded on warez are product version specific. It sounds like hassel but really it takes 10minutes once every 3months. A new promotion will kick off before the key is set to expire.

http://www.spyontech...urity-suite.htm

I think Avira are very fair and modest when it comes to their products. the promotion will expire soon as it's already ran for over a month but will be back in a different country 2-3months from now :cute:

#14 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:52 AM

Comodo do both free av and firewall, as well as a paid version, that I have used a few times, when repairing comps.

Certainly better than AVG, though it does require some training to start with.

Alternative is, PM me for a cough cure for Symantec Endpoint, which is much less annoying, than their Norton range (Will require posting) ;)

Edited by stanmarsh14, 13 August 2011 - 04:54 AM.

#15 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:26 PM

Managed to get Avast installed today..seems ok autoupdates just fine .. provides realtime protection etc..and blows the competition away with detection rates , well so it says on their site although i spose they would say that lol.

One thing thats annoying me though is its asking for 'registration' ? 30 days protection left .. register now or it will expire ? i thought it was free though..why the need to register it ?

#16 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

Managed to get Avast installed today..seems ok autoupdates just fine .. provides realtime protection etc..and blows the competition away with detection rates , well so it says on their site although i spose they would say that lol.

One thing thats annoying me though is its asking for 'registration' ? 30 days protection left .. register now or it will expire ? i thought it was free though..why the need to register it ?

Because you have downloaded the payed for version todd that gives you a 30 day trial. Just get the cough mixture out m8. :D:D:D

#17 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

Because you have downloaded the payed for version todd that gives you a 30 day trial. Just get the cough mixture out m8. :D:D:D

Dont think so Rob..i got this one..

http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

The first one there..its ok though dont think they are just looking for a registration key, just your name,country etc and e-mail addy so they can constantly bombard you with shite mail...ill put the missus's one in. :)

#18 andy-1

andy-1

Layout Creator

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

I use avast and it's not a bad AV and you dont get many emails off them ive been using it for a while :)

Edited by andy-1, 13 August 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#19 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

get a imac dont need any ;0

Erm, except you do these days. I've had several infected Macs in the office recently. Get the free Sophos from here :

http://www.sophos.co...me-edition.aspx

and avoid PC users taking the mickey out of you when your mac has 200 popups about fake AV requirements :)...

#20 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Erm, except you do these days. I've had several infected Macs in the office recently. Get the free Sophos from here :

http://www.sophos.co...me-edition.aspx

and avoid PC users taking the mickey out of you when your mac has 200 popups about fake AV requirements :)...

True, even Linux is not totally immune these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users