Photo
- - - - -

Jpm Gamebox Full Free Play Upgrade With Simpletouch Fe (i Hope!)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ninjauk

ninjauk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hello Everyone.

I have a JPM GameBox for a few months now, with a few preinstalled games such as Millionaire, Cluedo, Top Of The Pops and some other semi playable games, admittedly it has not had much use as the games are very old in questions (all the Top Of The Pop Games refer to early/mid 90's acts)

So I stumbled across these forums and noticed something about SimpleTouch FE and the fact I could re program the machine with more games and as a bonus also a JUKEBOX !! ... WOW , all of a sudden the kids would pay interest again...

The only other option I thought I had was buying these 'upgrade discs and dongles' from eBay for silly prices. Something that I am not really willing to do for a bit of fun.

Maybe I have not looked hard enough but I do not see a guide on the internets for a complete transformation of GameBox to GameBox with SimpleTouch, so HOPEFULLY I will compile one for the sites Help Files (PDF OK??) , In the meantime I may require some assistance here in this thread , thus I have decided to post as I make the transformation...

ONE MORE THING.... As its my Girlfriends 40th on Saturday and we are going to have a houseful, I intend to get this done before then (it is now Wednesday evening), to impress the balls off our guests :)

So here is where I am at:-

(1) As you can see by the photos I am installing Windows XP - I Have plugged a keyboard into the built in low spec PC (previously Windows 95)
(2) I have downloaded SIMPLETOUCH FE
(3) I have downloaded QUICK SHELLER (To Hide Windows From Loading)
(4) I have accessed a repo that Mr C has, I am trying to find the actual games to download that I will use with SimpleTouch FE - ANY HELP ???
(5) I would love to fit a USB HDD as I have a spare 1TB one hanging around from a friend, I am hoping I can do this full of music and get a JUKEBOX application on the menu too , ANY HELP on this ??

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

All your comments, help and suggestions will be taken in and gratefully received, I will also put any notes up in a nice guide this site.

Thanks Again

** Barcrest King K.O. ** Barcrest Ready To Rock ** JPM GameBox (Currently Undergoing a Total Mod - I Hope!) **

#2 ninjauk

ninjauk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

The Windows XP install went well (didnt think I would ever be saying that again!!)
Installed Quick Sheller , although I need to Tweak the settings a bit
Managed to get SimpleTouch FE working and even managed to get a couple of games working from Mr C repo, so far I am quite impressed.

I am assuming the SimpleTouch FE picks up whatever EXE files it finds when it scans (1 folder depth only) and thus thinks they are games, so all I need is a simple .exe jukebox application and I should be good to go ?

My MAIN concern is that this old P.O.S. Pc installed within the GAMEBOX is quite antiquated thus very slow, I am thinking of replacing the guts (motherboard, processor, ram) and hoping the touch screen card is going to work in a new machine (I found the driver by the way!) , so some new guts, another windows xp install, re-install the software again and I truly think its gonna be a good machine !!

The down side is this machine not gonna be ready for Saturdays party, but I will continue to play with it to see how stuff works...

Should I eBay the CD I took from the drive (plus the black dongle I assume) ?

Thanks Again
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

** Barcrest King K.O. ** Barcrest Ready To Rock ** JPM GameBox (Currently Undergoing a Total Mod - I Hope!) **

#3 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Looks like a very intresting project, good luck with it :)

#4 ninjauk

ninjauk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

I have installed DWJukebox and SIMPLETOUCH FE will not boot it, yet the .exe will boot from within Windows. Very odd ?
Any suggestions on this ?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 jamespir

jamespir

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

nice project looks good
FRUIT-EMU mybrute clan http://mybrute.com/team/8550

http://jamespir.mybrute.com come on if your hard enough

#6 bulshi

bulshi

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

Hi ninjauk,

Any progression on this project as I have a very similar setup and am very interested in your endevours !?

Cheers :thumbs_up:

#7 ninjauk

ninjauk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:45 PM

Hi Bulshi - No progress yet, although I have picked up another machine... As yet, I have not done anything since above, purely because of a hectic work schedule, seem to be working 24/7 at the moment... But I am piling up the monies ready to invest in such projects :D

NICE :D

Catch you soon

#8 bulshi

bulshi

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the update ninjauk !

Time to get my hands dirty me thinks !!!

;)

#9 jayecAT

jayecAT

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

ive managed to do this using the standard computer componants just upgrade the ram mine was pc100 100mhz the add xp use virtual dj using divx to play music videos,simpletouch fe as front end works great i just added a decent pc speaker system with amp and base sound great

#10 em_maparsons

em_maparsons

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi Ninjauk,

I’ve recently got a gamebox and your thread is very interesting!
When you installed Windows XP did you just put the installation disc in the cd drive and it’s as simple as that to install a new operating sytem?

#11 rolinew

rolinew

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

does anyone have the touchscreen driver for this ????

#12 mitch-all

mitch-all

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

hi i have a jpm gamesbox which was working. i turned it on the other day now all i get is diconected on the screen, can anyone help cheers

#13 ninjauk

ninjauk

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I am so sorry guys I moved house and had to downsize , thus letting go the modded JPM machines, rolinew the drivers are actually linked in the original post.
I am currently working on a small touch screen juke box , desktop style, am hoping to add some desktop games to it too...

Thanks all

#14 melodical

melodical

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:47 AM

All up and running with a good few quiz games but can someone answer the following questions

1. When you buy a quiz machine such as this and reinstall windows either win xp sp3/Win 7 or Win 10 can you still use the credit slot/coin mech to put money in and have it register the credits as normal either when using the original version of windows or with a new version i.e reinstall?

2. If using Simpletouch FE can you still use the coin mech on machine

2. Is their anything special you would need to backup from the original un-messed with quiz machine when reinstalling windows?

3.  What type of touch screen hardware cards are used? Are they using old pci slots or other method of connecting hardware?

4. can old touch screen connectors be used with new hardware and os's i.e when plugging the touch screen into the hardware/motherboard or is it just a standard vga monitor connection?

5. Can the coin mechs be transferred to other cab i.e for diy arcade/mame/quiz game and pinball cabs etc.

All info on the above now seems to be very scarce and outdated so would really appreciate an answer to some or all of the above questions. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users