30 replies to this topic

#21 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, it needs a lot of work on it before a dx can be done, the bottom glass needs working on the top glass looks fine. It has been in a cold damp barn for a few years. Still it fied up OK when I turned it on. It didnt take coins tho so might need the coin mech looked at. I will try over the mecca cheers.

If its been in storage for 4 years you need to take a look at the blue battery on the motherbaord, if it hasnt leaked already I'll bet its not far away from starting to leak. Not taking coins could be the mech or could be battery damage. But as it still runs it wont be too bad to fix.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#22 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:57 PM

I tried to look for the battery the other day in the shop to see if it was OK but had no idea where it was located.

#23 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Following is a MOD4 board (MOD2 is the same, barring the AY chip, which is next to the data port on the left), and have marked where the battery is located normally (Not present in this pic).

To remove the MPU4 unit, on either the left / right of it (Depending how the unit is located), you push a pin in, on the centre, and the whole unit lifts out.

To get the plastic shell off, you may need a flat bladed screwdriver, there are two plastic slide catches, both top and bottom, slide those towards the middle of the unit, and the top will lift off.

Here is where you may need your screwdriver, remove the two screws on the base (If not done already), which locate in to either side of the cartage area, and the top should then lift off. These screws I personally permanently leave off, as it makes it easier for me to service the unit later if needs be.

Using the attached pic, locate the battery, and see if you have any signs of leakage / white or green fuzz.

If you see signs of leakage or have a blue battery, remove it ASAP and (If there is any signs of leakage) wash the area with some vinegar and an old tooth brush, rinse off with cold water, and leave to dry for 24 hrs.

After drying, re-fit.

Machine will run without a battery, but may alarm upon booting, which is it just telling you the ram is clear / missing battery, and will also run a bit strange, but this is fine for testing.

If you still experience issues, give us a shout / take it over to MPU Mecca, and we will work out what needs to be done.

Only common problem you get with MPU4 battery leakage, is the capacitors next to the battery (Located just below the battery, mixed in with some Zenner Diodes, and marked C and 2 numbers on the board) may fail, but I have spares here I can send.

Replacement battery, see aaamusements (Alex) from the Mecca, either via PM, or direct from his website: http://www.aaamuseme...08e7d228da1f624

Attached Files

Edited by stanmarsh14, 31 July 2011 - 10:36 PM.

#24 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

Following is a MOD4 board (MOD2 is the same, barring the AY chip, which is next to the data port on the left), and have marked where the battery is located normally (Not present in this pic).

To remove the MPU4 unit, on either the left / right of it (Depending how the unit is located), you push a pin in, on the centre, and the whole unit lifts out.

To get the plastic shell off, you may need a flat bladed screwdriver, there are two plastic slide catches, both top and bottom, slide those towards the middle of the unit, and the top will lift off.

Here is where you may need your screwdriver, remove the two screws on the base (If not done already), which locate in to either side of the cartage area, and the top should then lift off. These screws I personally permanently leave off, as it makes it easier for me to service the unit later if needs be.

Using the attached pic, locate the battery, and see if you have any signs of leakage / white or green fuzz.

If you see signs of leakage or have a blue battery, remove it ASAP and (If there is any signs of leakage) wash the area with some vinegar and an old tooth brush, rinse off with cold water, and leave to dry for 24 hrs.

After drying, re-fit.

Machine will run without a battery, but may alarm upon booting, which is it just telling you the ram is clear / missing battery, and will also run a bit strange, but this is fine for testing.

If you still experience issues, give us a shout / take it over to MPU Mecca, and we will work out what needs to be done.

Only common problem you get with MPU4 battery leakage, is the capacitors next to the battery (Located just below the battery, mixed in with some Zenner Diodes, and marked C and 2 numbers on the board) may fail, but I have spares here I can send.

Replacement battery, see aaamusements (Alex) from the Mecca, either via PM, or direct from his website: http://www.aaamuseme...08e7d228da1f624

Thanks for that, I will take a look this week when it comes. Cain't wait to get a propper look inside it. One thing I did notice was a bit of rust on the bit that pops the coins out, it dont look too bad tho. I did manage to get it into test mode and do a coin out test.

#25 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:15 AM

Well I have my machine now and what a pain in the ass it was to get up to the 3rd floor, only 28 steps a banister and a doorway at the top of the stairs that was 5mm smaler than the fruit machine. There is some big scrapes and scratches on the wall and the landlady will do her nut when she sees then :S

A few problems with it at the minute, it needs a new battery as the old one had just started to go bad and the other problem is that i get a reel A spin alarm when the reels spin. It also needs a new psu I think as the one inside looks like its just about had it. Its lose and looks like its got some sort of white stuff on it and also the bit where the coins get puched out is rusty, but im sure after a few hunderd clicks some of that will come off. It was stored in a barn that was damp for a good few years.

Anyways it's getting fixed soon so should be at least running :)

Attached Files

#26 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Well I have my machine now and what a pain in the ass it was to get up to the 3rd floor, only 28 steps a banister and a doorway at the top of the stairs that was 5mm smaler than the fruit machine. There is some big scrapes and scratches on the wall and the landlady will do her nut when she sees then :S

A few problems with it at the minute, it needs a new battery as the old one had just started to go bad and the other problem is that i get a reel A spin alarm when the reels spin. It also needs a new psu I think as the one inside looks like its just about had it. Its lose and looks like its got some sort of white stuff on it and also the bit where the coins get puched out is rusty, but im sure after a few hunderd clicks some of that will come off. It was stored in a barn that was damp for a good few years.

Glasses don't look that bad,does't sound like anything there is impossible to sort out.I take it we should be seeing a dx of this for amber with your glasses used ;) :D

#27 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

Glasses don't look that bad,does't sound like anything there is impossible to sort out.I take it we should be seeing a dx of this for amber with your glasses used ;) :D

There is already a decent dx in mfme so will have to wait and see.

#28 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

Just waiting for a thread from Rob looking for room to rent, it should appear about 5 mins after current landlady sees state of wall :biglaugh:

#29 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Well today is rent day so im off out for the rest of the day :eek:

#30 chasnbons

chasnbons

• Regulars
  • 1282 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

Well today is rent day so im off out for the rest of the day :eek:

Landlady = :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: Rob = :o :wubclub: :cry: ...... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

#31 Guest_Tommy c_*

Guest_Tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Landlady = :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: Rob = :o :wubclub: :cry: ...... :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

loooooooooool :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users