19 replies to this topic

#1 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

Has anybody had an update on either of the emulators. It all seems to have been quite lately - which is odd as so much was said over so long, just wondered why the updates have stopped?

Thanks
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#2 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:20 AM

Theres your answer.... lol
Posted Image

#3 Mr House

Mr House

Sometimes Critical

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Theres your answer.... lol

We know Wizard's stance on this as posted at the Mecca in the past, you'll find the thread there.

With regards to Amber I think Guitar is too busy restoring machines at present following his thread at the Mecca about how he spent the previous week restoring an Indiana Jones machines. He has done a very good job on it and it must have taken some time. There is a very nice "after" photo considering the mess it looked "before".

#4 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Would be nice to hear from Guitar tho
Posted Image

#5 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

We know Wizard's stance on this as posted at the Mecca in the past, you'll find the thread there.

With regards to Amber I think Guitar is too busy restoring machines at present following his thread at the Mecca about how he spent the previous week restoring an Indiana Jones machines. He has done a very good job on it and it must have taken some time. There is a very nice "after" photo considering the mess it looked "before".

It will be ready shortly, Ive been repairing machines in the last week because Ive been told by my doctor to "get out more", and "get some exercise", and I got as far as the garage. Apparently coding 16 hours a day isn't good for your health, who knew lol.

Alongside which Ive been interviewing on and off for another job which has taken some time away from Amber because I want to make sure I get it, so preparing for those has been important.

And most importantly lack of motivation, stemming from several things, whether it be forums getting jittery, personal stuff, or just the fact that its sunny outside and it looks jolly fun. I worked on the emu for 5 years now with minimal help, Ive rewritten the core 6 times, and I'm just a little bored of it, not to even mention the fact that wizzy will make it obselete a month after I release it so. And I never ever thought I would get close to the job I might actually secure in the next few weeks, which has given me a slightly new perspective on my time and worth.

It will be finished, I have been trying to get it done ready for July 1st, we shall see. Its a shame its come to this but at the end of the day you have to grab the opportunities while they arise.

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#6 Johnnyafc

Johnnyafc

#Lapsed

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the Update good restoration project too :jimlad:

Edited by Johnnyafc, 27 June 2011 - 02:00 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Mr House

Mr House

Sometimes Critical

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the update and again, nice job on that restoration. :)

#8 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

Ive been told by my doctor to "get out more",

take the laptop to the park ?

#9 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

take the laptop to the park ?

I dont use laptops for developing, if I wanted something underpowered, with a poor screen size and overpriced, I'd buy an iPad.

Edit: For example, this is my dev machine.

Attached Files

Edited by Guitar, 27 June 2011 - 05:54 PM.

#10 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

You've got to be kidding?

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#11 RUKI2909

RUKI2909

• Regulars
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

I dont use laptops for developing, if I wanted something underpowered, with a poor screen size and overpriced, I'd buy an iPad.

nice set up there guitar :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Posted Image

#12 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

You've got to be kidding?

J

About the iPad or the desktop? Either way, no not kidding.

That is indeed my dev machine, although I have to admit my desk is a lot less tidy now than when that was taken.

#13 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

About the iPad or the desktop? Either way, no not kidding.

That is indeed my dev machine, although I have to admit my desk is a lot less tidy now than when that was taken.

LOL... I actually thought it was a joke... I would never get any work done with that kind of set up :)

J

// stumblin' in the neon groves

#14 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

Love the setup Guitar
Sweet looking Mmmmmmmm

#15 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:55 PM

Love the setup Guitar
Sweet looking Mmmmmmmm

Especially good for watching Formula 1.

Live Timing on the top screen
HD Sattelite feed on the middle screen
Driver Tracker (GPS) on the right hand side, and In Car view / Red Button on the left screen,
And the mclaren pit feed somewhere too

If Lotus had a pit feed I'd have that up too.

And then of course there's 5960*1080 gaming too.

And just to completely go fruit forums on you...

Windows 7 Ultimate (w/ XP VM)
QX9650 Extreme Ed Cpu overclocked to 4GHz
Corsair H70 water cooling (CPU)
Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo
8GB OCZ Platinum DDRII @ 1067
AMD 6870 Eyefinity GFx card
Creative X-Fi Pci-Ex Audio Card
4 * 250GB Raid0 Array (used to be 5, I hate seagate now) for O/S and installs
WD Raptor 300GB Project Drive - Code is stored on here for fast read/load/compile times.
1.5TB Backup Drive
160GB External Backup Drive
LG HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo
Corsair HX-850 Professional Series Modular PSU - "what ripple current"

2.1 + 5.1 speaker setup - Ok this is a bit of genius, 7.1 speaker sets are expensive, so, get a 2.1 set with an active (high input) subwoofer and combine it with a 5.1 set for your surrounds. For some reason 5.1 isnt nearly as expensive, that way, when you listen to stuff on youtube, you get the added benefit of a subwoofer, which wouldn't normally be driven by a 7.1 setup, hence the high input requirement. Much cheaper, and better sound on youtube.

It started off 4 and a bit years ago as an acer T130 with a Sempron 2800+ cpu, I just upgraded it bit by bit.

#16 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

Especially good for watching Formula 1.

Live Timing on the top screen
HD Sattelite feed on the middle screen
Driver Tracker (GPS) on the right hand side, and In Car view / Red Button on the left screen,
And the mclaren pit feed somewhere too

If Lotus had a pit feed I'd have that up too.

And then of course there's 5960*1080 gaming too.

And just to completely go fruit forums on you...

Windows 7 Ultimate (w/ XP VM)
QX9650 Extreme Ed Cpu overclocked to 4GHz
Corsair H70 water cooling (CPU)
Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo
8GB OCZ Platinum DDRII @ 1067
AMD 6870 Eyefinity GFx card
Creative X-Fi Pci-Ex Audio Card
4 * 250GB Raid0 Array (used to be 5, I hate seagate now) for O/S and installs
WD Raptor 300GB Project Drive - Code is stored on here for fast read/load/compile times.
1.5TB Backup Drive
160GB External Backup Drive
LG HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo
Corsair HX-850 Professional Series Modular PSU - "what ripple current"

2.1 + 5.1 speaker setup - Ok this is a bit of genius, 7.1 speaker sets are expensive, so, get a 2.1 set with an active (high input) subwoofer and combine it with a 5.1 set for your surrounds. For some reason 5.1 isnt nearly as expensive, that way, when you listen to stuff on youtube, you get the added benefit of a subwoofer, which wouldn't normally be driven by a 7.1 setup, hence the high input requirement. Much cheaper, and better sound on youtube.

It started off 4 and a bit years ago as an acer T130 with a Sempron 2800+ cpu, I just upgraded it bit by bit.

I say well done to you mate a setup i would only dream of :)

Before the end of this year i gotta build a tower for a friend of mine i have already priced just the parts and it comes to £4000 so far and thats not including 3 3DTVs that he wants with it :)

#17 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

I missed off the TV card, Hauppaugge HVR-4400 DVB-S2.

£4000, what's in it? Its either extremely hi spec or overpriced, £4000 is a LOT of kit.

And why 3 DTV's? Monitors would be far far cheaper.

#18 samson81

samson81

I have no regrets

• Layout Creator
  • PipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:05 AM

I missed off the TV card, Hauppaugge HVR-4400 DVB-S2.

£4000, what's in it? Its either extremely hi spec or overpriced, £4000 is a LOT of kit.

And why 3 DTV's? Monitors would be far far cheaper.

Its an extremely hi spec machine i will get the quote out later if i can and will show what on there but i do remember that it had 24Gb of ram (6x4GB DDR3 1666) also has a ATI Radeon HD 5970 4GB Black Edition (Limited Edition) that costs £800 alone :)
The person i got to build it for has more money then sense and also has a love for PC gaming. It will be 3D monitors yes sorry not 3DTV's.

#19 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

Its an extremely hi spec machine i will get the quote out later if i can and will show what on there but i do remember that it had 24Gb of ram (6x4GB DDR3 1666) also has a ATI Radeon HD 5970 4GB Black Edition (Limited Edition) that costs £800 alone :)
The person i got to build it for has more money then sense and also has a love for PC gaming. It will be 3D monitors yes sorry not 3DTV's.

Very nice, although that black ed card will be sub £300 in a few months, I'll wait till then lol. Always buy PC stuff 1 family behind at the crossover period for the best bargains. QX9650 for £140, hehe.

#20 cainer

cainer

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:45 PM

i tried hard to resist posting about comp hardware in this thread but tbh its been 6 hours since i first read that, and im still crying with laughter that somone could be so graphically un-educated as to spend £800 on an 18 month old card that gets beat hands down by the latest duel gpu offerings that cost less, so its far from a hi-spec build, what else is on the list hes paying well over the top for and not been given good advice about?? also unless he likes messing around with 3rd party programs playing games in 3D will be an issue with any ATI card (although its nice to have the 120hz screens as i use them myself), Nvidia is the way to go for 3D vision (atm!), but besides all that.. in the last 1/4 of this year were due the 28nm cores from both ATI and Nvidia, untill then theres no point getting your £££ out, 99 out of 100 games atm are console ports with a few extra tweaks available. battlefield 3 is the next game enthusiasts are waiting for and that wont be available till the end of the year.
also "black edition" is just a slight factory overclock on a standard 5970 4gb.. which will overclock way passed the "uber pro look at the extra 1mm on my willy black edition" because they ALL use cherry picked cores on ALL the 5970's.. the same they use for 5870's so any 5970 will clock to 850/4800 with no problem, if you provide the right cooling you'l get even more from it
id realy like to see the list of hardware and the prices quoted that adds up to 4k, it must be duel xeon cpu's + sr-2 mobo ect.. sounds exciting :)

Edited by cainer, 28 June 2011 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users