Always Wondered...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 muppetboy

muppetboy

• Regulars
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I used to love popping down to Southend once a fortnight with my cousin years ago thinking nothing of spending a good few hours pumping money into slots, pinball and arcade machines. Buying fish and chips after, walking down the pier seeing what damage has been done to it - again, being shit on by multitude of seagulls trying to nick me fish, and so on.

Amusement arcades. Great places. I always tend to avoid those that had the "claw crane grab machines" as they were always on full bloody volume and the noise used to drive me nuts, overriding any game I was playing!

Anyhow, getting to the point. FM's have evolved somewhat into video slots. But as for Arcade games, I've always wandered why no manufacturer has ever entertained the idea of having these pay out. I dunno, you actually complete a game and you get 50% back. Think this would be great! What you all think?

#2 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

I like the idea, but at the end of the day there is no way for the payout to be controlled. For example say you completed the game and defeated the end boss etc. and got the JP. How would the game become difficult for the next person that goes on it in the terms that im going to have to make sure this person doesn't get past the first level??
Because if you were so good at it, than there's no way you could lose.

#3 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

There were a couple. BWB did a Space Invaders SWP but either you would be good enough to win, or you would get a seemingly impossible field. So it would be either easy, or you would just lose on an extra nasty level, no fun or strategy really.

Incidentally, Bally did a pinball machine a long time ago thay did pay out, but the idea was discouraged and scrapped. Can't remember if legalities got in the way though

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#4 muppetboy

muppetboy

• Regulars
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:53 PM

See your point, guys. I would imagine the only way to make this idea workable would be to adjust the AI of the game to match the players abilities or to have some kind of "randomizer" where levels are not in same order every time, and Payouts based on skill, time taken, etc. But yep, have to be something extraordinary to make payouts work so it's fair all round.

I've always been relatively crap at arcade games and the only one I've ever completed was the sit-down version of Outrun. Definitely a fluke that win! However, I did complete many a home computer arcade conversion lol.

#5 DildoDez

DildoDez

• Regulars
  • 1104 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:31 PM

RE: The pintable paying out, were all old (50's etc) pinball tables no gambling devices until the law changed?

#6 cliffc

cliffc

• Regulars
  • 946 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

Hi

There is now a verson of the Facebook game Bejeweled Blitz that is an SWP asw it for the 1st time in an arcade in Redcar the weekend before last, I had a go on it managed to get 3 quid out of it its like most SWP 50p a go.

Regards

Cliff C

#7 nails

nails

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 4578 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

on my way back from Ireland last month i spotted a golf video game that actually paid out prizes, think either £20 or £50 was the top prize, so yes its already been thought of before - and most probably failed.

#8 jim2311

jim2311

Genius

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

I remember playing a pinball machine that paid cash awards in old pennies.
When no one was looking I used to slide my arm up the payout chute until I felt a spring retainer. I then pulled this back to receive a handful of pennies, which I then lost in the slots.
I worked in Butlins holiday camp many many years ago and the arcade owner told me only to play the machines on a Saturday...tells its own story. Unfortunately, I got paid on a Tuesday, and no matter how hard I tried to hold on to some cash, come Saturday I was broke.

#9 mazooma

mazooma

I'm not dead yet

• Regulars
  • 915 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

I remember back in 1989 or so, the arcade I used to go to got a "Tetris Payout" machine. Now at that time no-one had ever played tetris much - except me. So, first go - jackpot £10 cash, and I thought, "hey - this is easy!" . Of course the points/cash payout ratio system changed to suit how much it had been played, and how much it had paid out. So second game - nowt, not even close to a prize. Seems to me this type of machine is as much relient on luck and percentage as any fruitty.
Where you came from, is gone.
Where you thought you were going, was never there.
And where you're at right now, aint no good, unless you can get away from it.

#10 skabaz

skabaz

Engineer of the World

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hi

There is now a verson of the Facebook game Bejeweled Blitz that is an SWP asw it for the 1st time in an arcade in Redcar the weekend before last, I had a go on it managed to get 3 quid out of it its like most SWP 50p a go.

Regards

Cliff C

yeah latest games warehouse update has bejeweled blitz on it.

thats whats going to happen within the swp market more arcade style games with prizes but the the legal side is very close to the edge as already has been proven with skill ball bingo and texas holdem being removed from trivia machines.

baz

#11 Johnny's Amusements

Johnny's Amusements

• New Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:34 AM

Has anyone on here seen the new SWP from Nova games called Popcorn? Based on the classic Skill Ball Bingo game. Check it out here !

Johnny's Amusements 114 Gorgie Road Edinburgh EH11 2NR

http://www.johnnysamusements.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users