where do the roms come from?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 robert260574

robert260574

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:24 PM

where do the roms come from to make emulation of a fruit machine?........people say you cant emulate new fruit machines WHY?.....if they come from the company thats makes them eg..bellfruit,barcrest.....how do you get them of them and how long do you have too wait for roms for new releases......seen a pic of dracula club looks good game never played it apart from the pub version,but its been out for a bit ,how long before do you think it is before it becomes a emulation......drac club is just a example

#2 mortalwombat

mortalwombat

• Regulars
  • 169 posts

Donator

Posted 04 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

roms are a piece of software created by the fruit machine companies to run in there machines, and u need a rom reader to extract the roms from the actual machine, think thats it anyway lol

hope this helps :lol:

#3 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:10 PM

where do the roms come from to make emulation of a fruit machine?........people say you cant emulate new fruit machines WHY?.....

Don't come in here shouiting like that when you have no idea of the basics.

a) The ROMs are read from the memory chips inside the machine, so to get them, you have to use an eprom reader, and extract the data on them.

B) You then need an emulator capable of playing the ROMs. The only techs for which an emulator exists at the moment are MPU3/4, Impact and M1a/b.

Ones for which emulators DON'T exist (recent machines only) are MPU5 [Barcrest from 1996 onwards], EPOCH [Maygay (1996 onwards?) /Global (1998 onwards?) /Impulse (ALL) /Extreme (ALL)]

If we could emulate MPU5, we would. But we can't. There is no emulator. There will also be no emulator if it will purely be requested in such a manner by people such as yourself, no doubt just to find cheats and emptiers for recent machines. Emulation is [in a general sense], illegal. We are lucky that the manufacturers don't mind us emulating machines which are old enough to not have an impact on their current operations, as the have every right to refuse us to host roms / use emulators.

Fruit Machine Emulation is therefore currently concerned with the preservation of machines which can no longer be found in the wild.

So, to summarise.

We can't emulate modern machines as a) No emulator, and B) Manufacturers would stamp any new emu and ROMs out, probably with serious conseqences.

Hope this post is of some use to you.

BarcrestBenito
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#4 mortalwombat

mortalwombat

• Regulars
  • 169 posts

Donator

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

[quote="BarcrestBenito"][quote]quote]

Don't come in here shouiting like that when you have no idea of the basics.

BarcrestBenito[/quote]

You talkin to me?

#5 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:19 PM

Lol, no, not you :)

You didn't shout and sound ungrateful. Funny really, if people can be more courteous when they post in here, they get nicer replies from me.

Not 'Why cant we have recent machines?!!! WHY??!!? WHYWHYWHY?!!'

Thats asking for trouble in place where the idea is preservation of old machines :)

BarcrestBenito
Ben

Hopefully recovering from years of compulsive gambling and wanting to be gamble free forever.

Recommended reading - http://www.gamblersaloud.com/ (yes, I bought the book, very happy with it!)

#6 mortalwombat

mortalwombat

• Regulars
  • 169 posts

Donator

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:46 PM

few yrs on and we will get newer machines which is cool :lol:

#7 robert260574

robert260574

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:19 PM

if i new the basics i would not be asking... so dont be so up tight ... WHY was a figure of speach not ment too upset people...but if something like that affends people then why bother posting .....thanks for the info anyway ...dont think i will bother for asking next time and yes my caps lock if OFF

#8 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:28 PM

Emulation is [in a general sense], illegal. We are lucky that the manufacturers don't mind us emulating machines which are old enough to not have an impact on their current operations, as the have every right to refuse us to host roms / use emulators.

BarcrestBenito

Not sure if thats entirely accurate.

As far as I'm aware, and as far as Sony Entertainment are concerned, emulation isn't illegal at all. Remember SONY sueing when someone created a PS1 emulator for the PC a few years ago? Sony lost as emulation isn't considered illegal.

The passing of roms for such emulations can be illegal. Especially if the roms you posess are not your intellectual or physical property. This is why MAME roms aren't carried by the official MAME sites. Again, MAME isn't illegal. Legalities only occur when you have roms you do not own. So in short, all the fruit machine manufacturers could do is persue the scene for carrying copyrighted material, as in the flyers and photos ect... and the roms themselves.

Of course, distributing the origional source code to run these roms is illegal but the emulators are clean written from scratch and mimic the original source so technically, nothing wrong with that.

Compost
Posted Image

#9 jubber

jubber

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:06 PM

I am a new comer to this exellent site and would like to comment about what I have read on this subject.
I have played fruitmachines for years and could not believe my luck on finding this site from a link in the early hours one night and I found myself transported back to dinner time breaks from school playing 'Lineup'
in the local arcade.
So many old games on the site I had forgot had ever been around and its great to play them again. :p
I think this is what the site is all about and people should respect this, why the rush for new machines? if you want to play current machines play them down the arcades or buy one and be patient they will appear im sure in years to come
Deep respect to everyone connected with this site and keep up the good work.

#10 Monopoly60v8

Monopoly60v8

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:16 PM

BarcrestBenito I dont see why you had to answer the question with such an attitude.

If I was robert I would be a bit pissed. He was only asking a question!

#11 robert260574

robert260574

• New Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:58 PM

thanks for your surport monopoly i was pissed ...just cause some people post loads of answers and been here a long time they think they can have attitude....i may be a newbe but i thought that was this site was all about helping others..anyway thats that enough said and yes it was only a question that i have wondered about for a long time....thanks everyone for all your replies i learnt something today....

#12 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

where do the roms come from to make emulation of a fruit machine?........people say you cant emulate new fruit machines WHY?.....if they come from the company thats makes them eg..bellfruit,barcrest.....how do you get them of them and how long do you have too wait for roms for new releases......seen a pic of dracula club looks good game never played it apart from the pub version,but its been out for a bit ,how long before do you think it is before it becomes a emulation......drac club is just a example

It was just a case of context, plus I've been having a bad time not playing machines, any my family life is shite, and I can't get off this site to get some work done.

No offense intended, but I got the impression from the opening 'WHY??', that you were pissed off at 'this site', for not being able to provide recent machines, which IMHO play so blandly that the only use is for trying to learn features/cheats/emptiers.

I'm sorry that my comments were offending people, and I apologise to those offended. Just gets to me that we have 15000 users - and yet still the basics are not known. Every day [even today we had a similar post made shortly afterwards], there are posts on these topics. Looking back, being a n00b as you lot are, I accept that you have no reason to know such background info.

I hereby declare that a huge banner or information box containing the relevant imformation be given pride of place on this site, and that I'm sorry for annoying/offending.

BarcrestBenito
Ben

#13 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:09 PM

Emulation is [in a general sense], illegal. We are lucky that the manufacturers don't mind us emulating machines which are old enough to not have an impact on their current operations, as the have every right to refuse us to host roms / use emulators.

BarcrestBenito

Not sure if thats entirely accurate.

As far as I'm aware, and as far as Sony Entertainment are concerned, emulation isn't illegal at all. Remember SONY sueing when someone created a PS1 emulator for the PC a few years ago? Sony lost as emulation isn't considered illegal.

The passing of roms for such emulations can be illegal. Especially if the roms you posess are not your intellectual or physical property. This is why MAME roms aren't carried by the official MAME sites. Again, MAME isn't illegal. Legalities only occur when you have roms you do not own. So in short, all the fruit machine manufacturers could do is persue the scene for carrying copyrighted material, as in the flyers and photos ect... and the roms themselves.

Of course, distributing the origional source code to run these roms is illegal but the emulators are clean written from scratch and mimic the original source so technically, nothing wrong with that.

Compost

Agreed - I said in a general sense.

Copyrighted ROMs - Illegal unless copyright holders permission sought.
Artwork - Illegal unless copyright holders permission sought.
Game Theme :) - Illegal unless copyright holders permission sought.

The emulators themselves are not illegal - but in using one to play a machine, i.e the loading of a copyrighted ROM which you have in your posession, is illegal.

Not that I have a problem with that - did you know that keeping a Video Recording of say a TV show more than [from what I remember], 28 days, is illegal??

I was just trying to make the link between manufacturers not minding us having ROMs which for them are no longer of financial gain - but if we were to emuate machines which were still physically in the public domain, things could [and would IMHO] get nasty.

BarcrestBenito
Ben

#14 mikey95

mikey95

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:30 PM

where do the roms come from to make emulation of a fruit machine?........people say you cant emulate new fruit machines WHY?.....if they come from the company thats makes them eg..bellfruit' date='barcrest.....how do you get them of them and how long do you have too wait for roms for new releases......seen a pic of dracula club looks good game never played it apart from the pub version,but its been out for a bit ,how long before do you think it is before it becomes a emulation......drac club is just a example[/quote']

It was just a case of context, plus I've been having a bad time not playing machines, any my family life is shite, and I can't get off this site to get some work done.

No offense intended, but I got the impression from the opening 'WHY??', that you were pissed off at 'this site', for not being able to provide recent machines, which IMHO play so blandly that the only use is for trying to learn features/cheats/emptiers.

I'm sorry that my comments were offending people, and I apologise to those offended. Just gets to me that we have 15000 users - and yet still the basics are not known. Every day [even today we had a similar post made shortly afterwards], there are posts on these topics. Looking back, being a n00b as you lot are, I accept that you have no reason to know such background info.

I hereby declare that a huge banner or information box containing the relevant imformation be given pride of place on this site, and that I'm sorry for annoying/offending.

BarcrestBenito

BAD LAD!!!! don't be so nasty to the newbies! I know a bit more than most about awp's but i try not to be condescending (especially working for a top quality, caring,compassionate,customer-orientated outfit like leisurelink) Shame on you barcrestbenito. 10 hail mary's and a slap on the wristies!!!!!!
Ex leisurelink engineer
A reformed character!!!!

#15 Monopoly60v8

Monopoly60v8

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:51 PM

did you know that keeping a Video Recording of say a TV show more than [from what I remember], 28 days, is illegal??

It is also illegal in the UK to be drunk on Licensed Premises, including a pub or bar.

Also its illegal for London taxis not to carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.

#16 mikey95

mikey95

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 10:56 PM

[quote name='Monopoly60v8][quote]did you know that keeping a Video Recording of say a TV show more than [from what I remember'], 28 days, is illegal??[/quote]

It is also illegal in the UK to be drunk on Licensed Premises, including a pub or bar.

Also its illegal for London taxis not to carry a bale of hay and a sack of oats.[/quote]

Did you know that reciting fascinating facts such as those is illegal on a website :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :evil:
Ex leisurelink engineer
A reformed character!!!!

#17 subderma

subderma

• New Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 03:26 AM

harming swans is illegal
harming ravens is illegal

both can be punishable by hanging :(

i hate swans :(
just one more quid and i'll call it a day!!
clink clink clink clink
oi love give us change for a tenner

#18 Cola_Addict

Cola_Addict

• New Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:44 PM

Emulation is definatly illegal. You can emulate something as long as you own the original copy ie. owning a copy of the copyright. Copying a rom is illegal same as copying a CD or game is. As for Sony loosing a case i seem to remember it was due to lack of evidence as a few years back Nintendo and Sega maneged to succsefully sue hundreds of game emulator sites, leading to the almost overnight shutting of these sites.

Clearly if modern machines were emulated their owners wouldnt be happy. Cant wait for new machines to be emulated but we already lost Empire from the scene as the roms were being abused.

There are lots of great layouts to play on this site alone.

-Adam-

(Sorry for spelling - been in pub to long 8O)

#19 bigbeef161

bigbeef161

• New Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:53 PM

well coca cola if you dont like it you know what to do :wink:

#20 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:19 AM

Speaking of funny laws, did you know it's illegal to sing in the state of Florida whilst wearing a bikini or swimming trunks? lol

http://zigmunto.w.interia.pl/laws1.htm

;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users