What stings more times?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

Its a question that i always thought had a obvious answer, but after watching QI im now in doubt. That is what stings more times a bee or a wasp? i always thought that a bee can sting you once and that a wasp can continuously sting you. As once a bee stings you its stinger gets pulled out, unlike the wasp. BUT according to QI this doesn't seem to be the case.:huh:

#2 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

Bee should only sting you once, well that's what I have been brought up to know...They lose a lot of their body with their stinger so they can't really go about living.

This being the case, I've only been stung by wasps.............MORE than once by each of them! sods law

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#3 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

With CB here.... Wasp stinger is shaped like a dart, so can be used more than once, where a bee sting, is shaped like a barb, and rare for it to be used more than once.

Bee sting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#4 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:12 PM

Next question what stings more......?
Bee, Wasp, or DOND:v_SPIN:

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#5 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

Depends if you are bent over or not, and if lube is used :D

#6 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

Or how about Bee3(B3):D

#7 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

When a bee stings you it has a sting that is not attached to any vital body parts where as a wasp sting is connected to its gut. It can sting and retract it but if it feels very threatened it will push the sting as far into the attacker as possible thus resulting in the barb part of the sting getting caught and the sting removing the gut of the wasp. This is a picture of a wasp sting zoomed in thousands of times Posted Image if you look at this second picture you can see the gut of the wasp as it moves away Posted Image

the sting is still pumping the venom into you even after the wasp has long gone.

#8 hurricane

hurricane

• Regulars
  • 734 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

SO it was the Bee that lived happily ever after and NOT the wasp:huh:. I knew QI couldn't of been telling a lie.

#9 fuzion

fuzion

Part of the furniture

• Regulars
  • 1726 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

I thought only Honey bees could sting once due to the barbed stinger, they can't remove it after a sting so it pulls away from there body leaving the bee to die shortly afterwards.

Bee's are actually very interesting. We would be in serious peril without them.

J

#10 johnjohn

johnjohn

• New Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

i got stung by a bee 2 years go , i lent it £20 and it never paid me back

#11 Steveir

Steveir

• Regulars
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

I must show my mate this thread. He runs away from bees the same as wasps (like I do) and I've been trying to convince him for ages that Bees are sound.

What about Hornets?

#12 DialTone

DialTone

• New Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

Its a question that i always thought had a obvious answer, but after watching QI im now in doubt. That is what stings more times a bee or a wasp? i always thought that a bee can sting you once and that a wasp can continuously sting you. As once a bee stings you its stinger gets pulled out, unlike the wasp. BUT according to QI this doesn't seem to be the case.:huh:

QI (as ever) is absolutely correct...

Worker Honey Bees can only sting once (esp. North American Honey Bees) when stinging mammals or birds - when stinging other species (such as other bees), they can withdraw their stings and reuse them. There are many types of bee however, and it is only the Honey Bee that has this barbed sting. Bumble Bees (as an example) do not have barbed stings, and therefore can sting many times, although as they are generally less aggressive, it's less likely that you'll be stung by one in any case.

Wasps by contrast can usually sting many times, as they do not have a barbed sting (esp. the European Wasp and Paper Wasp). Yellowjackets are thought to sting only once as their stings are barbed, but this is often not the case. They do sometimes leave their stings behind which continue to pump venom into the victim, but I'm not sure if that kills them like with bees.

DT "Wasp Hater"

#13 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

dunno but they're going under my foot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users