7 replies to this topic

#1 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

This one has got me beat here.....

Got a friend who's got one of these Three net dongles (Huawei E156G: 3 - Help & Support - About my mobile - Downloads)

Try as we might, we keep getting an "Invalid Data" install error, when it comes to install the actual modem drivers (It picks up and installs the card reader part without issue mind you).

Tried it on my lappy, same problem, but tried it on my main tower, and it works perfect.

Not been able to find much helpful info on Google, so need to ask the following.... has anyone come accross this issue before, and managed to fix this, and do anyone know where I can get the generic (NOT Three) drivers from, for this device???

#2 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

I don't know if this helps Stan but whilst trying to install a 3 dongle on my g/f's computer we couldn't get it to connect at all. It was only when I went into control panel / services that I realised that the computer wasn't set up to receive mobile technology. Don't know what "data install error" is exactly but I'm guessing it's something to do with mobile technology. :)

On no account call the 3 telephone helpline. Usual bugger I got. Couldn't speak a word of English. Eventually sorted out the problem myself...lol
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#3 Guest_robinhood75_*

Guest_robinhood75_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:17 AM

I have had so many problems with three, I did not have my broadband for almost 2 weeks. There answer was that the masts was being updated to get the 7.1 MB mobile broadband and this was the problem. When we finally got a connection it would just close the three dongle exe while online so would then be offline.

It was one problem after another. We put up with it for 9 months and then we decided it was time to make a stand. We stopped paying our bills and said that they was not honoring there part of the contract which said they would provide us with a service that was acceptable and therefore it was void and we did not want to have the service any more.

We have sent off a letter to Home page | Ofcom and are waiting to get a reply from them. It's a disgrace the amount of times i had to connect, you can see from my bill where it shows what time you connected that I was getting cut off up to 100 times a day if not more, our bills was masses of pages.

Not only that but the speed of the dongle was total shite. I managed to get 0.97 MB i think but most the time it was about 40 kbps and uploads was about 9kbps. when I use to connect to the wifi dongles from the nation express buses in the depot opposite me i could get a speed of up to 4 mb and was able to stream the BBC iplayer with no problems but that was on vodafone 3.5g not 3's 3.5g. anyways rant over stuff 3 they are nothing more than a bag of steaming shite and need to be closed down.

#4 Jaks

Jaks

• Regulars
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

I am sure I had this issue under Windows 7 while installing a 3 dongle, didn't have any problems under XP.

I am currently using a T-Mobile Broadband dongle (whilst waiting for my sky broadband to go live) and I am also getting speed issues, sometimes I have to wait for 5 mins to view a web page and usually have trouble viewing another page - the speed drops to zero, this happens at all times of the day.

It seems that most mobile broadband providers are shite and rarely deliver what they promise.

#5 >_>

>_>

Shifty

• New Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

I have the same dongle, works fine on windows xp, vista and 7. maybe there is a problem with the drivers on the dongle its self? I can upload the contents of mine if you like.

#6 scofer

scofer

• New Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:10 AM

There are a few things it could be, check the the type of USB socket, as there is USB 2 and if you have an old one, there should be a longer lead in the box.

Make sure you only have ONE type of 3g software on you computer so none from another network.

If its on vista you have to turn of account authentication in control panel to install the drivers. I'm not sure it is called this as I don't have Vista)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

Dealing with XP here, due to the age of the lappy that this dongle is intended for (HP Compaq NC4010: HP Compaq nc4010 Ultraportable Business Notebook - North America/U.S. QuickSpecs)

The thing is, it just odd in that I can re-create the same fault on my Advent lappy, but my main tower is fine.

In any case, when I have installed the driver package direct from three (Not the one on the dongle itself), it still tries to install the drivers from the dongle, and that is where I hit the "Invallid Data" issue.

Now whilst there is some mobile / 3g software installed on this HP, there is none on my Advent.

However, I have found out where the install package keeps a copy of the actual dongle drivers for the net side of things, so I have copied it's installer, and gonna try to install just that, and avoid the Three driver package, as I believe it is that which is causing the issue.

I'll report back later with the results.

There are a few things it could be, check the the type of USB socket, as there is USB 2 and if you have an old one, there should be a longer lead in the box.

Make sure you only have ONE type of 3g software on you computer so none from another network.

If its on vista you have to turn of account authentication in control panel to install the drivers. I'm not sure it is called this as I don't have Vista)

#8 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Right, that also fell on it's arse, so gonna do a format / reinstall on it, as it would be the easyist way, especaly noting a ton of shite on it (Owner is also a MJ fan, so had to keep my mouth shut concerning pedo's :D)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users