Setting up an arcade?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 djajb

djajb

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

I am thinking about setting up a new arcade and wondered if anybody out there had any knowledge of running one, I am thinking of having a licenced bar with a few fruit machines at back and some gaming machines for all ages at front.

My only worry is that someone told me that arcades are mostly run by criminals or gangsters because the criminal underworld like to take control of these places, He may be wrong but wondered if somebody could give me some advise whether this is a myth or a true situation of some of the arcades today, Dont want to be running an arcade not being able to make a living because of these people.

Also I hear its hard to get planning permission, Just how hard is it?

Cheers

#2 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:28 PM

I am thinking about setting up a new arcade and wondered if anybody out there had any knowledge of running one, I am thinking of having a licenced bar with a few fruit machines at back and some gaming machines for all ages at front.

My only worry is that someone told me that arcades are mostly run by criminals or gangsters because the criminal underworld like to take control of these places, He may be wrong but wondered if somebody could give me some advise whether this is a myth or a true situation of some of the arcades today, Dont want to be running an arcade not being able to make a living because of these people.

Also I hear its hard to get planning permission, Just how hard is it?

Cheers

Basically tell your mate to get out of 1950's las vegas mode :lol: I'm sure someone will help you with the rest :)

#3 duplu

duplu

Previous Owner

• Regulars
  • 2857 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

Check out this post http://www.fruit-emu...-up-arcade.html

xeepi_logo_email.png

#4 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

it maybe a good idea to ask nails as he's an arcadian

#5 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Your mate is talking total crap lol :biglaugh:

The criminal underworld have bigger fish to fry than waste their time with arcades. There's not as much money in the business any more. Which is why so many arcades are currently going out of business. Personally I would not touch arcade-ownership with a barge pole.

But if you are determined, get a good balance of machines in. Lo-techs, hi-techs all at a variety of jackpot levels. Get some high jackpot ones in as well. Make sure you site the arcade right - town centre with lots of passers-by and other shops nearby is best. Nice big windows so people can see the flashing lights.

Make sure the demand for a new arcade is there before you start. A little market research might be in order?

#6 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Your mate is talking total crap lol :biglaugh:

The criminal underworld have bigger fish to fry than waste their time with arcades. There's not as much money in the business any more. Which is why so many arcades are currently going out of business. Personally I would not touch arcade-ownership with a barge pole.

But if you are determined, get a good balance of machines in. Lo-techs, hi-techs all at a variety of jackpot levels. Get some high jackpot ones in as well. Make sure you site the arcade right - town centre with lots of passers-by and other shops nearby is best. Nice big windows so people can see the flashing lights.

Make sure the demand for a new arcade is there before you start. A little market research might be in order?

Dougsta has got a valid point there,

like cleethorpes there must be about 7 arcades now compared to the 13 that once was hosted. cleethorpes is a shithole as the arcades seem to be gedding burn't down for insurance jobs

#7 stanmarsh14

stanmarsh14

Sado-masochist

• Gold Supporters
  • 3120 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

Same problem seams to be hitting Skegness too as it seams.

Dougsta has got a valid point there,

like cleethorpes there must be about 7 arcades now compared to the 13 that once was hosted. cleethorpes is a shithole as the arcades seem to be gedding burn't down for insurance jobs

#8 voodoomau5

voodoomau5

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:48 PM

Ever thought about setting up in totnes, NOOOO competition whatsoever ;)

#9 joebee1966

joebee1966

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

as for the planning permission you need a good local council,and if there are arcades all ready in the area you will more than likely be refused

#10 SUPER7

SUPER7

Shouldn't Fruit Machines Payout Fruit??

• Regulars
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

Arcades run by gangsters!! :biglaugh: Nah m8 u can tell ur m8 that is not true a few of my m8s run & i don't think there gangsters, lol. Anyway im 95% sure u have 2 go through the courts 2 get a gambling licence?? Just watch out 4 the gangsters lol. :biglaugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users