Photo
- - - - -

... It's a poll! Why do you gamble?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Why *do* you gamble? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Why *do* you gamble?

1. I gamble because I want to make money and have fun. (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

2. I gamble because I want to make money, and believe I have an advantage. (5 votes [10.64%])

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

3. I gamble purely to have fun - money doesn't come into it. (12 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

4. I either gamble for a different reason. (5 votes [10.64%])

5. I don't know why I gamble, I just do. (5 votes [10.64%])

6. I have given up gambling because it broke me. (5 votes [10.64%])

7. I have never gambled. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:49 PM

Honest question. I'm purely wondering why people gamble, not looking to use any information in any other way, e.t.c.

I've come up with several poll options, and believe they cover the most probable reasons for people gambling. I've put this in the 'Real Fruit Machines' section, because presumably most of us are / were 'machine' gamblers, as well as other forms (manual roulette, sports betting, e.t.c.).

Honesty is key, don't lie to yourself - if you can't be honest here, there really isn't any hope for you :)

[edit] Apologies for the typos on at least one poll option, I was thinking about the options while I was setting the poll up, made some changes, and didn't think about correcting mistakes. Nothing major.

Poll option 4 - I either gamble for a different reason - the word 'either' is no longer needed. It should read : I gamble for a different reason.

Edited by Closed Loop, 12 March 2009 - 11:56 PM.

#2 Toddyuk

Toddyuk

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1279 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

I gamble (poker, not fruit machines any more) for the heart pumping thrill of an all in bluff , It truely does pump ya heart out , something that nothing can compare too .
I gamble on football too , makes the game more interesting to watch .

Poker is defo the best heart pounder tho in my opion .

[edit] I think you missed out an important option in your poll , For the thrill of it , adrenaline rush.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_tommy c_*

Guest_tommy c_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

I have a gamble for the fun but dont bother that much anymore now that all the golden oldies are dying out all the new machines are boring and shite.

#4 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

I do it mainly for fun

but if i win then i tend to quit while im ahead :)

#5 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

[edit] I think you missed out an important option in your poll , For the thrill of it , adrenaline rush.

Pah, I thought I could edit polls when posted, must be that when I last posted a poll I was a moderator :p

I meant for 'fun' to cover all forms of mental enjoyment - be it what you'd call fun, passing the time, or actually getting a 'high' or rush.

I'd probably add in another poll option but can't now, so it'll have to stick :)

#6 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:06 AM

Pah, I thought I could edit polls when posted, must be that when I last posted a poll I was a moderator :p

I meant for 'fun' to cover all forms of mental enjoyment - be it what you'd call fun, passing the time, or actually getting a 'high' or rush.

I'd probably add in another poll option but can't now, so it'll have to stick :)

Just ask ady or todd or someone

im sure they'll be ,more than happy to oblige :)

#7 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Write the Q as you want it written Ben and One of us will do it mate.

#8 £6 In Tokens

£6 In Tokens

AKA £9 In Vouchers

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

When I used to gamble it was for 1 reason only, which is the essence of gambling to me:

Not about the money but more the fact that you are risking money you don't have or should be spent elsewhere....That is the buzz IMO, the fact you shouldn't be doing it.

Fact is (only speaking for personal experience) if I won = The only thing that meant to me was I could get win more and had more gambling time.....Gamblers are greedy :)

:devil:
"Stay Fit, Keep Sharp, Make Good Decisions"

#9 curlywill

curlywill

• Regulars
  • 1220 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

i gamble for the fun.

in the good old days when money would last all day i didnt mind losing money because it was value for money. now if i win i stick in my pocket, this because i know if i lose it ill put more in and machines today can suck £100 in such a short amount of time, thats why now i only put change i have into a machine and i wont stand there sticking £20 note after £20 into fecking dond or some other piece of shite :)

#10 lincs1

lincs1

He Who Dares Wins

• Banned
  • 3803 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

no point me voting as there isn't an option stating i don't gamble ;)

#11 dangerousdave

dangerousdave

• Regulars
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:29 PM

I guess I mainly gamble out of boredom however I have since been informed that my addiction last year (online gambling) may have been down to stress, see Ben, it's your fault as I was working with you at the time lol. So that's £1247.93 you owe me ;)

I haven't gambled for a long time now though.

#12 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

I guess I mainly gamble out of boredom however I have since been informed that my addiction last year (online gambling) may have been down to stress, see Ben, it's your fault as I was working with you at the time lol. So that's £1247.93 you owe me ;)

I haven't gambled for a long time now though.

I only gambled because of your stories telling me you were winning load of money, so that'll be about £1247.94 you owe me.

Cheque would be acceptable, there's a good chap :)

#13 CrAzYbAr

CrAzYbAr

Japan bound

• Gold Supporters
  • 2640 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

I enjoy a gamble...I rarely ever go alond though now except when I'm in Wales. Before I think of going up London it's an obligation to ring your friends up and see if they want to go as well:) Having good company makes most of the fun up, a good meal as well...a little chinese, a little subway... So yes gambling is good for fun, I don't mind about the money, tough I get a bit peeved if it's all gone in 20 minutes with no board because that's not the most enjoyable thing lol

This is a site for EMULATION purposes of older machines. Not playing strategies.
If you are more interested in playing modern machines,
visit Jackpottyforums

(DOND is around now on this site..... How long was this sig out of date...!)

#14 Dougsta

Dougsta

Stampede!

• Silver Supporters
  • 806 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

I read once (and firmly believe it to be true) that there are 3 underlying reasons why people gamble. Every person gambles, ultimately, for one of these 3 reasons - once you boil it down.

1. You are pathologically addicted to gambling. These people are in denial about losses, believe they have winning systems etc.
2. You are an unhappy person, and you gamble as a means to escape the unhappiness in your life.
3. You gamble purely for fun, and can take it or leave it.

So, readers, which category do YOU fall into?

#15 SUPER7

SUPER7

Shouldn't Fruit Machines Payout Fruit??

• Regulars
  • 642 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

I just play fruit machines 4 fun only play the £5 & token jackpots, go down my local with only £20 & can last hours some times, what u don't get in alot of arcade's any more.

#16 cashcards

cashcards

• New Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

i would say i gamble purely to win money,one time you couldnt get me out of an arcade but todays machines are so so poor,never played a machine for over a year.now you cant get me off bet365,love the buzz of your odds on something becoming shorter,but nothing and no sport is as predictable as it seems.had three winners last week won 160 quid the lost most of that on nba.and those demon bookies roulette machines,seldom win but still cant resist so i would say im an addictive gambler.

#17 Matty.N

Matty.N

• Regulars
  • 3111 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

I read once (and firmly believe it to be true) that there are 3 underlying reasons why people gamble. Every person gambles, ultimately, for one of these 3 reasons - once you boil it down.

1. You are pathologically addicted to gambling. These people are in denial about losses, believe they have winning systems etc.
2. You are an unhappy person, and you gamble as a means to escape the unhappiness in your life.
3. You gamble purely for fun, and can take it or leave it.

So, readers, which category do YOU fall into?

Im in category 3 :)

#18 ady

ady

The furniture

• Moderators
  • 14204 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Ben I asked earlier what you wanted added to the poll but you must have read around it mate...

I have added 2 poll options, One based on Marks reply.

Voted here..........it broke me :(

I appriciate its 'why you *do* gamble' but I thought it would open the feeling of the poll.

#19 stevedude2

stevedude2

• Regulars
  • 1043 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

I used to play fruit machines because I could make consistent money. I didn't regard it as gambling back then.

Nowadays I still play occasionally, but now it's more of a gamble because there's less of an 'edge'. I still enjoy it though, so I guess these days I gamble for fun :)
Watch out! There's a SIG thief about...

#20 barxfan

barxfan

• Regulars
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Im in category 3 :)

I'm in Category B3 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users