• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

lost bout £60 in 30 mins on £5 jp
and won about on gold rush multiplayer £5jp £180
i gamble every weekend but i have stopper recently as i have a beautiful missus
haha

;) Feck off, if your gunna lie about winning that much in a short period of time at least say a machine that might actually have the ability to pay that much aha =P

#42 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:55 PM

What's the most I ever lost? I one go, I have no idea. Probably about £1000. Over my playing
career, easily £100,000 if not more. OK, £1000 may not hit the record, but this was in the £15
jackpot era at 25p a play. I'm really glad there were no s16 machines at the time.

As there is at least one person on here who has a similar (worse??) case than I had, I thought it
might be beneficial to share my experience and how I gave up. For me, it was all down to finding
the correct motivation to quit, though I am still surprised at what happened.

During my playing days, I had a decent job in IT with really good pay. I could actually afford to
live well and indulge machines at the same time. I had respect of my colleagues, and was on the
way up.

Then, one day I was in an arcade in Newbury. I'd been in 100s of times before, and must have lost
£1000s there. At the time, the "attendants" were 2 old biddies who took (no joke) 10 minutes to
change £5. As the change machine was out of order, and note selectors were yet to be invented the
regular players used to change up notes with each other so save time.

One day, I'd actually managed to accumulate a load of coins, and was happily changing up a few
notes with people whilst waiting for the decent machines to come available. As I walked past the
desk, biddie 1 somewhat loudly remarked to biddie 2 (and the person getting change), something
along the lines of "I don't know why he (the owner) lets that bloke hang around in here. All he
does is change coins up". Red rag to a bull that. Not only was I doing them, and the arcade a
favour by doing this, the damn cheek of it after all the cash I'd punted there. Not only that,
but who the hell are these 2 sad old women to look down their noses at me??

And then it hit me, this is how people see me. Some saddo doley with nothing going for them that
hangs around arcades.

Anyway, I told them where they could shove their arcade and their crappy machines and left.

And that was that. I didn't put £1 in a machine for almost 8 years after that. What I did do,
was:

Get promoted
Start my own company
Get married
Have kids
Buy a couple of houses

All because I suddenly realised the contempt operators (I know not all, but the ones I dealt with
at the time) had for me and other players.

Do I regret the £100,000+ loss. Yeah. But I find it best not to dwell on money lost. The bigger
regret was the TIME I lost pumping cash into these things. It wasn't so much the extra money
that improved my life, but the time I could devote to better pursuits.

Anyhoo, to finish this rambling post off - I was waiting for a mate in a pub last week and I
thought "why not" and banged a few £ in the machine. 15 mins later, I was down £60! Once an
addict, always and addict? Yeah, for me anyway.

So, I guess my point is (yeah, there is a point to this post) don't worry about having lost £1000
per week. I did similar and it is all working out well for me now. Just find your motivation and
give it up. I wish you all the luck in doing so. But also, don't think that you are "cured" after
not playing for a while.

Years later, I'm still addicted even if I don't play...

#43 algypan

algypan

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

It is an addiction, although I have never been extreme in gambling.

I play them, but limit myself to 4 pounds (odd amount but there you go).

I have a friend, who comes out with us for a drink and spends the whole night on the machines, with maybe one pint of lager.

He plays the machines on 50p a spin and must lose a lot. He doesnt realise that his friends are looking at him and are thinking that he is, in every way, a loser.

When he does get a win, he asks us all to go over to look at his 'win' but we all realise it cost him a lot more to get that win and give an excuse not to go.

I feel he has a problem, but how do you tell them?

#44 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:41 PM

Tell them straight that you think they're out of control and they need to sort themselves out. They may not take it well, but if they know your intentions are genuine they might just listen...

#45 piesthecat

piesthecat

Creator'N'Stuff

• Regulars
  • 1047 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

;) Feck off, if your gunna lie about winning that much in a short period of time at least say a machine that might actually have the ability to pay that much aha =P

i did but it was all of them not just 1 !!!!!

#46 mart1711

mart1711

• Regulars
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

If you include s16/b3 biggest loss about £700 in a day, biggest win £950 (quick jp off 4 roulettes on cashino then an almost instant full board of red 7's on a little devils slotto while they were changing my money!) If you include the roulette machines in bookies then Biggest loss about £2500 biggest profit £4500... When i collected the £4500 i actually had the balance up to 7 odd grand at one point and was determined to get to the 10k maximum!! Only thing that stopped me was my mate cashing out while i had a pee, whats worse is the fact i was even angry with him at the tiime for doing this!!! Still my advice will always remain, if you must gamble on machines stick to the bookies roulette.. Rather than a stingey b3 paying a hypothetical 92% over millions of spins the good ole roulette is far more transparent and pays out the garunteed 97.2% as determined by the laws of mathematics, not the laws of manufacturer!!!

#47 magpie

magpie

• New Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:44 PM

oh dear haha.

today has been pretty terrible, decided to force a £5 monopoly lo-tec didnt go as planned and when we where £20 each into it my mate ran out of cash and i decided to go it alone. by the time i was £75 down it done a little run for £30 then died.

i managed to come home £30 down and am now sitting here with a cider :bigeyes04: does life get any erm, better :bigeyes05:

#48 dude_se

dude_se

• Regulars
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

most is about £50 lost,
won about £45 at most in 1 sitting.
only play the £35 fruities. anything else is evil :p

#49 Guest_damoc_*

Guest_damoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

Most I have ever won in a day is about £230 but I have lost about £300 on many occasions in the past (cash machine limit! glad it wasn't higher!)
Even spending my bus fare & having to walk home totally pissed off!

I've lost a bit on the b3/s16s usually trying to get that elusive jackpot (which I've never won!!)

Luckily I seem to be controlling my addiction a lot better now. In the past 15 months I have only been in arcades on holidays & played the £5 jackpot machines (except Golden Game cos that can screw you for £20/£30 easily without a top board!) but I've still had a couple of quid in the £25/£35s & still managed to put about £30 in a rainbow riches with sod all back!

Don't think that the roulette machines are safer either cos the problem with this is the more you win the more you stake & then when you start losing you keep the high stakes & your money can be gone very quickly. On one occasion I manged to get a bank of £700 on roulette but instead of cashing out I chased more and ended up losing the lot & putting in about £200 more & losing that!!

I used to play on machines when I was out on the town too with a mate who was also into machines but on one occasion we went on an Addams family fruitie in the first pub we went in and I ended up blowing all my drinking money for the night(about £60) without a decent feature or jackpot! It ruined the night. After that night I vowed to keep off the machines when in pubs & have done since (about 8 years ago!)

My advice to anyone who thinks they will win on the machines cos they've had a couple of good sessions is to walk away cos in the end they screw up your life!! Just play the emulators for nothing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users