• 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

any one else like it and may be talk about
:bigeyes09:

#2 Guest_damoc_*

Guest_damoc_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:08 PM

Back to snooker, I used to watch it regularly on telly but since Paul Hunter passed away & Jimmy White slid down the rankings I can't get behind anyone.

I like watching Ronnie O'Sullivan but I think he doesn't show enough respect to the game that he makes a living out of.

Also the commentry by John Virgo annoys me!!

#3 Magz

Magz

• Regulars
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

I think it's a sport in decline tbh. It has a reputation for being boring now, without the characters it had in its 80's heyday. This has been discussed at length by the players both privately and on the telly. Ronnie has mentioned getting in the people that run the PDC darts to try and improve the image and excitement factors.

The issue in my opinion is that there seems to be a huge resistance to change within the governing body. This extends to the senior players who are fairly vocal in resisting even the smaller changes.

Darts used to have this issue as well, leading (amongst many other factors) to there being a breakaway of the top players to form the PDC (which has now largely eclipsed the official BDO in terms of quality, TV time and prizes etc). I think there is a very real chance of this happening in snooker as well.

Audiences in the Far East have become a joke (15 people for a semi final, even the 8 ball pool gets more) and if the only worthwhile tournaments are the World and UK in terms of attendance and prizes something will have to give at some point.

For me, I'd lose 5 of the reds. When I watch now, I usually tune in mid frame and watch until its over. When the 15 reds come back out next frame I really can't be bothered to wait around whilst the players punt about for (potentially) ages so I flick over to something else.

I also think it'd be fairer, in a way, as you'd be able to have more frames per match. This would then give players more risk taking options as losing 1 frame best of 9 is nothing like as important as losing 1 in best of 15 (or whatever).

I'd also consider making the pockets bigger to allow for aster play and maybe a few more trickshots being employed (again, more fun and variety) for the spectators.

I don't think we'll see this sort of change though, until there is either a revolt or a major change at the top of the sport. Shame, as it is in real danger of dying if something doesn't give...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users