Photo
- - - - -

What's the difference between 'DX' and 'Classic' layouts?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 u778050

u778050

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

Guys,

What's the difference between 'DX' and 'Classic' layouts. It mentioned all over the place but I've got no idea what it means.

Thanks in advance!

#2 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

Guys,

What's the difference between 'DX' and 'Classic' layouts. It mentioned all over the place but I've got no idea what it means.

Thanks in advance!

It means you need shooting. :)

Basically, most of the Classics are done from scratch (some DX's are too). These are the foundation of most DX's.

A Classic is the machine but without the fancy aftwork layed over the top, people that do classics are loved as it saves the person creating the fancy looking DX version from working out exactly which lamp goes where and how the reels are set out etc.
Not every pet in Pet Society is sweet and innocent....

#3 u778050

u778050

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

Thanks so much:)

#4 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

Now ask what a PDX and WDX are - lol
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#5 kbos2hm

kbos2hm

• New Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

now thats a good question but no im not that gened up to anser that one

#6 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

PDX Pseudo DX, basically a fake I think. Like using roms from one machine to play another clone as the original roms aren't avaliable.

Wikioedia... In common parlance, the prefix pseudo is used to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not:

WDX Windowed DX, full screen basically. Although half the time this is from side art rather than say an actual 1024 x 768 layout.

PDX and HDX are the same (Hybrid DX) also, there's HMDX (which I use sometimes) this is when there's no artwork and you make your own, or completely redraw a layout.

#7 todd1970

todd1970

The furniture

• Regulars
  • 6818 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

PDX Pseudo DX, basically a fake I think. Like using roms from one machine to play another clone as the original roms aren't avaliable.

Wikioedia... In common parlance, the prefix pseudo is used to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not:

WDX Windowed DX, full screen basically. Although half the time this is from side art rather than say an actual 1024 x 768 layout.

PDX and HDX are the same (Hybrid DX) also, there's HMDX (which I use sometimes) this is when there's no artwork and you make your own, or completely redraw a layout.

Think that sounds about right Dae.
Mmmmmm...Sandy ive 'ad her ye know. :)

#8 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

Nope, that's actually what a Hybrid, or HDX is. Using the ROMs from one machine to run another, similarly coded machine. There aren't *that* many examples, but one that springs to mind is when I made a poor attempt at Big Brother, using the Global 'Bangin Away' MPU4 ROMs. Pretty sure others have also used the Italian Job M1a ROMs, to make a simulation of The Simpsons EPOCH machine 'work'.

PDX and HDX are the same (Hybrid DX) also, there's HMDX (which I use sometimes) this is when there's no artwork and you make your own, or completely redraw a layout

Again, that's wrong.

Hybrid DX is as I've shown above, Pseudo DX (or PDX), is when you don't have all the ACTUAL artwork (or don't have any at all!), and you either redraw, or miss out, parts of the machines artwork. A complete redraw which is sufficiently close to the original machine could easily be labelled just DX and probably wouldn't attract attention. A PDX is normally a visible chop-job, often with a lack of detail, but the original machine should be recognisable from the layout of features, even if they are not exact replicas.

HMDX(?!) Is I presume what you call your own PDXs?

#9 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

Or ask the benefits of 1600 over 1280 over 1024 etc.

Or ask why locking layouts is a good idea...

:D

#10 Deano

Deano

BANNED FOR LIFE

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:55 PM

I think I recall a WDX being a weak DX. Sometimes a photo is not up to scratch to work from and is classed as weak. :-P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Guest_DAD_*

Guest_DAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

I think I recall a WDX being a weak DX. Sometimes a photo is not up to scratch to work from and is classed as weak. :-P

Yeah, all mine are Weak DX's :)

#12 Pook

Pook

More human than human.

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, all mine are Weak DX's :)

Mor of a BAFDX man myself. :D

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572

Click to visit my site.

#13 Guitar

Guitar

Project Amber Developer

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2989 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Mor of a BAFDX man myself. :D

Is that racist? :D

Project Amber 2 - Coming Soon

#14 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

what does dx stand for

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#15 Geddy

Geddy

Banned

• Banned
  • 3433 posts

Donator

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

what does dx stand for

DeluXe

#16 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Nope, that's actually what a Hybrid, or HDX is. Using the ROMs from one machine to run another, similarly coded machine. There aren't *that* many examples, but one that springs to mind is when I made a poor attempt at Big Brother, using the Global 'Bangin Away' MPU4 ROMs. Pretty sure others have also used the Italian Job M1a ROMs, to make a simulation of The Simpsons EPOCH machine 'work'.

I thought so, but as nobody else was replying I thought I'd have a guess lol :)

Hybrid DX is as I've shown above, Pseudo DX (or PDX), is when you don't have all the ACTUAL artwork (or don't have any at all!), and you either redraw, or miss out, parts of the machines artwork. A complete redraw which is sufficiently close to the original machine could easily be labelled just DX and probably wouldn't attract attention. A PDX is normally a visible chop-job, often with a lack of detail, but the original machine should be recognisable from the layout of features, even if they are not exact replicas.

HMDX(?!) Is I presume what you call your own PDXs?

So how come we use the word Pseudo when it means... to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not, surely that discription fits an HDX?

#17 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:43 PM

what does dx stand for

'de X stands for de spot man' (said in a south african pirates voice)

#18 Bencrest

Bencrest

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7446 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

I thought so, but as nobody else was replying I thought I'd have a guess lol :)

So how come we use the word Pseudo when it means... to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not, surely that discription fits an HDX?

... because you don't have the 'actual' artwork, you are drawing (or using) something pretending that it is the actual artwork. However, you still intend for the ROMs to match the artwork.

In a Hybrid, you are taking one aspect (ROMs or artwork) from one machine, combining with the contrasting aspect from another machine, and the resulting emulation doesn't really know what it is. Not a fan of Hybrids, but I've made one before and understand why others do it.

I didn't decide the layout nomenclature, but did try and make a layout once (doubt I released it because it was shite), under the name MDX (Mini, or Micro) because the machine was about 200x440 pixels. The idea being, a lo-tech like Golden Game could be played in a very small monitor area, as it's so basic and you could keep the rest of the screen free for forum viewing :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users