18 replies to this topic

#1 Deano

Deano

BANNED FOR LIFE

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

I have started to do a full computer scan once a week and did it this morning while the missus in bed.Is it usual to find this many warnings in one scan,are they potentially dangerous if left and is there anything I can do to help reduce the amount of tracking cookies on my system?:bigeyes18:
Thanks for any replies.

Attached File  scan2.bmp   268.13KB   169 downloads
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 jamesb99_1999

jamesb99_1999

Designed Layabout

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2176 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

what did you use to scan it mate?? spyware scanner/ anti virus scanner??

I have found 1000s of warnings on peoples machines before, even thousands of virus incidents - I am assuming it's anti spyware which means they will probably mainly be tracking cookies to be honest (which are pretty harmless and I wouldn't worry about - just clean up).
J<br /><br /><br /><br />A man

#3 Deano

Deano

BANNED FOR LIFE

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

what did you use to scan it mate?? spyware scanner/ anti virus scanner??

I have found 1000s of warnings on peoples machines before, even thousands of virus incidents - I am assuming it's anti spyware which means they will probably mainly be tracking cookies to be honest (which are pretty harmless and I wouldn't worry about - just clean up).

I used AGV free version but have a mini clear out every time I go on lappy to speed things up a bit.Glad to know the tracking cookies are harmless, I were thinking of a tracking cookie as something that follows me about and knows what sites I visit.:thumbs_up::beer:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:01 AM

Gotta agree with james here.

I know I go to some dodgy sites, and I'm protected, however, the missus only goes to straight forward sites, and then not often, but her pc still had over 500 warnings.

Whenever you go to ANY site and a popup window jumps up at you, chances are they've put a tracker cookie on you. these are (mostly) to annoy you lol, but seriously, this is to 'promote' things to you. for example, if you go to unprotected websites, then a random window may open promoting 888.com or some other gambling site.

the BEST way to keep it clean is to keep favourites of the sites you want, so you don't need to keep entering the URLs etc. right click on Explorer, delete ALL temporary files and cookies, THEN run the scan, it'll make your scan a LOT faster, and it'll not find as much.

Also, if you've downloaded a film or an episode of a series for example, and it's a RAR file, with 42 Rars inside etc. extrat it and delete it, scanners take ages to look through these types of file.
Not every pet in Pet Society is sweet and innocent....

#5 Deano

Deano

BANNED FOR LIFE

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

Gotta agree with james here.

I know I go to some dodgy sites, and I'm protected, however, the missus only goes to straight forward sites, and then not often, but her pc still had over 500 warnings.

Whenever you go to ANY site and a popup window jumps up at you, chances are they've put a tracker cookie on you. these are (mostly) to annoy you lol, but seriously, this is to 'promote' things to you. for example, if you go to unprotected websites, then a random window may open promoting 888.com or some other gambling site.

the BEST way to keep it clean is to keep favourites of the sites you want, so you don't need to keep entering the URLs etc. right click on Explorer, delete ALL temporary files and cookies, THEN run the scan, it'll make your scan a LOT faster, and it'll not find as much.

Also, if you've downloaded a film or an episode of a series for example, and it's a RAR file, with 42 Rars inside etc. extrat it and delete it, scanners take ages to look through these types of file.

Cheers for that,some very useful info there:thumbs_up::beer:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 cardie

cardie

Me Gusta

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3431 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

I used AGV free version but have a mini clear out every time I go on lappy to speed things up a bit.Glad to know the tracking cookies are harmless, I were thinking of a tracking cookie as something that follows me about and knows what sites I visit.:thumbs_up::beer:

Its just a con into getting you to buy some software off them

i have over 800 warnings every scan

My Youtube

Posted Image

Rest in peace Barcrest !

Quit Gambling as of 3rd of March 2012

#7 Deano

Deano

BANNED FOR LIFE

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

Tuneup Utilities 2008 do this to me also.Got the 30 day free trial and every so often would come up with a xxxx amount of potential threats found on my computer.
The trial has now ended but just clicked on the program and they have extended my trial for 3 more days,hoping I will buy their product.happy with the AVG,no problems up to yet:bigeyes04:,and its free lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 Zoltar

Zoltar

Former Fat Bastard.....

• Gold Supporters
  • 1810 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Yes maybe. But have you seen the price of AVG8? If you look hard enough, you can pick up a legitimate version for around £15.

I bought a 2 year 3 computer version for like £30 some months ago. I've noticed this isn't on there at the moment but having a legit 'Internet Security' program is something I've always done. Free versions are limited and non-legit versions sometimes cause more problems than they are supposed to solve with viruses/trojans/spyware put in by the 'program hackers'.

I'm sure you can even get AVG 8 full version for free if you answer a survey or two.
Posted Image

#9 DaemonX

DaemonX

The Devil's Advocate

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:54 AM

Best thing I used (for comedy reasons) was Black Ice Defender firewall when I was on AOL, problem was, AOL pinged me every now and then to check the connection was still alive. My BID classed this as an attack attempt.

It was great when I'd leave it to download overnight and get a nice message on my screen on the morning that Black Ice Defender had stoped 584 attempts to attack your PC lol.
Not every pet in Pet Society is sweet and innocent....

#10 ForYouToEnvy

ForYouToEnvy

Prince says....Raghead

• Regulars
  • 902 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

I've seen a warning on major geeks about weakness's on AVG8....

Deano run ccleaner before you do any anti spyware/virus/malware checks as this will get rid of all junk, browser cache's and temp files and will speed up checks. get it here |MG| CCleaner Slim (No Toolbar) 2.13.720

Also are you still using windows firewall? It only checks inbound traffic and has been reported as leaky if you use XP sp2.

You can get a good firewall here |MG| Online Armor Free 3.0.0.190 it checks inbound and outbound traffic and warns you if anything you have not flagged as safe trys to communicate with the internet, just like spybots teatimer warning about changes to registry

#11 £6 In Tokens

£6 In Tokens

AKA £9 In Vouchers

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

Totally normal I would say. Like Cardie I get well over 900 per scan.

Remember it is a warning only, things start getting tricky when Trojan Horse's are found / to get rid of.

:devil:

#12 RB

RB

PISH Artist

• Layout Creator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3342 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

Use firefox...my count is always 5 and they are the same 5 cookies everytime.
Since using firefox my net experience has improved 1000% and nothing remotely dodgy has invaded my PC, and i go to some seriously dodgy sites occasionally.
Cyberpunk:- alienated loner who lives on the edge of society in generally dystopic future where daily life is impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body.....Hmmmmm

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#13 paulus_r

paulus_r

• New Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

You may like to try Spybot or Adaware from Lavasoft. Both have free versions available. Tracking Cookies are normally classed as spyware but most websites use them for harmless reasons. Many e-commerce sites use them for cart tracking. I personally use Firefox with the Noscript addon. Cookies are generally harmless, but some websites may use Javascript for non-legitimate purposes. The no-script addon allows you to select what you run or don't run.

#14 Guest_altharic_*

Guest_altharic_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

Use Ccleaner

CCleaner - Home

And this if you are really paranoid

What is an Opt Out Cookie? - All about Cookies

And of course bin AVG is shite.

#15 cashcards

cashcards

• New Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:51 AM

ive had a virus for a few days which has totally wrecked everything,cant download anything,when i try an antimalware or spyware site i just get redirected,and graphics have went really big(like safe mode) anyone any ideas,would be eternally grateful,,thanks

#16 brimstone111

brimstone111

• New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:24 AM

i use avg free version but i do have a code that will run it to 2018
and i get no warnings cos it is all dealt with automaticly:bigeyes04:

#17 ForYouToEnvy

ForYouToEnvy

Prince says....Raghead

• Regulars
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

ive had a virus for a few days which has totally wrecked everything,cant download anything,when i try an antimalware or spyware site i just get redirected,and graphics have went really big(like safe mode) anyone any ideas,would be eternally grateful,,thanks

If reinstall is not an option try this READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide - MajorGeeks Support Forums

#18 Gazeyre1966

Gazeyre1966

The furniture

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3001 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

I run Nod32 antivirus at work plus Spybot and Superantispyware...and none of them could catch the virus I knew one of the computers had until I downloaded Combofix....Try a search for that. It digs deep into your start up and exposes any programmes to your virus checker, which should pick them up.
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 12px;'>It's all done in the best possible taste. :bigeyes04:</span></span>

#19 TheMachine

TheMachine

Wanting To Learn

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

Never pay for anything you can get for free.

I use Avast got a keegen for it will last 12months then when that runs out get new keegen or get the latest version.

I do however tend to chage my security every 6 months because i find better versions or better software.

Ccleaner is good for just cleaning up.

If anyone wants any security software with code or keegen let me know and ill be more than happy to get it for you and all so tell you what you need to do to work it.

All so any music anyone may want let me know and ill get you that as well all music will be via rapidshare links.

Wile I'm on the subject of getting things if anyone wants to buy rapidshare Premium accounts 1month for £3 well worth it if you use rapidshare for downloading stuff once you get the account you can change the password to whatever you wish just pm me

L8ers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users